SASS Wire Forum

Small manufacturing plant

Growing up, it seemed every small town within a 50 miles area had at least several small manufacturing plants. Were you could get a job almost that day. There were plants that made small tool boxes, fishing tackle boxes, and when plastic came in, tool cases and boxes. There were several toy making plants, one a subsidiary of Marx making plastic and metal toys. A plant over the border that made Hartland cowboy and baseball figures. A television plant. Telephone maker plant. A box maker, fishing tackle and lures. Etc. Seems they are all gone now and moved overseas. Are there any left? MT

In Ohio yes, not as many as there used to be but there's still some. My city of Euclid has a couple maybe three and we have a pop. of about 48,000. Cleveland which is just west of us still has quite a few, nothing like they had in the 50' and 60's but still some.

Rye

Very few small factories left in this town: one which makes ductile pipe, one which makes the paper used to make cardboard, maybe a couple others.

I just this week started working at a factory which makes US flags, bunting and the like. All the material and hardware comes from China. :(

Still some left in N.C., but nothing like there used to be..Textile and furniture plants, especially east of the mountains was along with tobacco, the backbone of the state economy..Now the tobacco industry is going downhill (Really not a bad thing there) as folks are wising up to what tobacco does to ya, but most of the factories, both big and small are moving to Mexico, or China, or wherever..Which IS a bad thing. :angry:

Not too many years ago, someone that couldn't afford college could get a job in one of the local factories and while they would have to deal with the tedium and repetition of assembly-line work, they could at least make a decent wage and get some benefits..Those days are gone, probably forever. :(

Seems growing up during my period, jobs were plentiful. In High School, one could get a job in a store as a clerk, or bag groceries. Pump Gas, waitress, or car hop. Once out of High School, those not going to college could get hired within the week and make decent wages and benefits, buy a home and new car. Area, I'm from in Illinois has barely any of them jobs left. The small independent grocery stores are gone, replaced by Super Centers. The small independent family owned manufactering plants had their jobs shipped to China and Tawain. Self service gas stations, and the little hamburger and soda places are no more, as are car-hops, all gone. When I was in High School, seems every Junior and Senior had a part time job, and only on Sunday would you see them walking the town, now when I'm up there, there are no jobs for teenagers, they walk the streets 24/7. MT

Generations of my cousins grew up in the deep south working in shoe factories - great pay, great benefits, it was the job to have, and now there's not a one left. In my little town of East Helena, it was the ASARCO lead and copper smelter - great pay, great benefits, the job to have, but after 113 years in business, it was purchased by a Mexican company, shut down, and everything sold off or moved to Mexico. :(

When I got out of HS, went to work at a roller bearing plant in about two weeks after graduation. Had my first car by August. Was rhere for almost a year when a strike and it's aftemath caused me to be laid off. Found another plant job in about two months. There for 35.5 years till I retired in '04. Conditions here now, no way for a young fella to get employed like that anymore. Heck, I've been looking for a suitable part time job for almost a year now and haven't found anything <_<:blush:

Archived