SASS Wire Forum

Helicopter crash

Old Scatterbrain

The dude was danged lucky... did ya notice his upper body whipping about outside the craft? :blink: "Lapstrap" only and no shoulder restraints, I reckon. :huh:

Just right click on the video when it's playing and then left click on "Copy video url.

All you do next is start your post and hit the Insert Media button and paste in the video url.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH4GV151N0U&feature=player_detailpage

To add, that so called pilot didn't even have his seat belt on. As he was THROWN to the back passenger area. Just plain stupid :wacko:

LG

They use lap belt to be able to lean out and look at the load underneath the chopper, Lumps. I watched a Huey driver practically hang out of the aircraft when he was setting AC units on top of our new Target. The bird never wavered. Sierra Hotel pilot. I believe the Kiwi's seat broke, dumpling him in the back. He's one luck sheep-shagger; as are a bunch of the ground crew. Amazing that no one got pureed in that fiasco.

Hey, you still owe me a round of Cowboy Trap!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ima!

Uno & Clamity

Same to you and yours. :FlagAm:

Slo-mo the film and you can see him pulled/thrown out the right door and thrown back inside. Good thing to, as he would have beem "rotor-bait" for sure. Bet you a second round of trap that he did NOT have a belt on. Seen a bunch of "rotor-heads" "drive" with out them. ;)

Cheers,

LG

Hey. I'll take that bet. The way the pilot was being thrown around like a Obama Administration sock-puppet, he'd have to have been belted in.

Spinnies fly without belts? Damn, they're crazier than I thought. Most pilots I know use seat belts like they have a bondage fetish.

I think he did have a lap belt on. Look closely when the tail is down. The pilot has hold of a cable (?) with both hands outside the craft. As the chopper falls away, he looses grip.

Can't see what caused the damaged rotor

TF

I think he did have a lap belt on. Look closely when the tail is down. The pilot has hold of a cable (?) with both hands outside the craft. As the chopper falls away, he looses grip.

TF

Focus on the little patch of sky between the buildings, directly above the rotor hub. You will see a loose cable swing in from nowhere. Once you identify it you will be able to see it across the vertical length of the screen.

TF

IF he was wearing his belt. Then WHY did he end up in the back seat against the bulkhead?

Cheers,

LG

Pause the video at 1:04 and stop action slowly to 1:06 and pay close attention to the seat back and base. The back starts to tilt back (ratchet failure?) and the seat base pulls from floor.

TF

UPDATE, the pilot was on Fox News and stated the he had his seat belt on.

If that is correct, then I'M WRONG :blush:

I still don't see how he could be thrown into the back passenger area if that is true.

Been around rotor and fixed wing aircraft all my life and have seen some weird c'hit happen. Have stick time in an R-22.

Time will tell,

Respectfully,

LG

That had to make his bung hole pucker up a mite....

At 1:02, the cable gets nicked the first time (you can see it jump), but doesn't get fouled in the blades, then at 1:05 it disappears and the helicopter comes apart.

Archived