SASS Wire Forum

Side match guns

Wild Walt. 92206

I am fairly new to this, and want to start shooting the side matches. I have searched the site to see if anybody is using a Uberti Richards-Mason 38 spec convertible in the pocket pistol side matches. I have on with a barrel that is just under 4". If I read the rules right, that would probably work as a pocket pistol.

I am not sure if the frame size is legal though.

Also, what are people using for the derringer class? I was looking at a pair of the Colt single action 22 short derringers, but do not know what the courses of fire usually are, or if single shot derringers would be practical.

I can read the rules all day long, but the shooters are what tell you what is really right. I do not want to buy something, and find that it may be legal, but does not work well.

I am really just looking for a reason to buy something else that I really do not need.

Any help is appreciated!

Side matches are a lot of fun and one of the reasons I go to bigger shoots.

I'm not familiar with the pocket pistol you are interested in but if you want to be competetive with the deringer you will need the Bond in a mild calibre. I have won the deringer side match at the NW regional 2 out of the last three yrs. The trend is to not load on the clock, I think its because the folks who run the match are tired of getting swept. If you don't hold the muzzle steady and manipulate the frame to reload you will probably sweep someone. Your Bond will need to be slicked up and you will need to practise picking it up cocking and shooting, lately you even need to aim because the target has rings and you will lose a sec for every ring out of the center you hit. The Bond also has a removable trigger guard, when left on the gun I can pick it up faster because it positions your finger on the trigger.

The fun thing about side matches is you grab your gun and shoot as fast as you can, if you hit everything you have a chance to win.

Doc

I am fairly new to this, and want to start shooting the side matches. I have searched the site to see if anybody is using a Uberti Richards-Mason 38 spec convertible in the pocket pistol side matches. I have on with a barrel that is just under 4". If I read the rules right, that would probably work as a pocket pistol.

I am not sure if the frame size is legal though.

Also, what are people using for the derringer class? I was looking at a pair of the Colt single action 22 short derringers, but do not know what the courses of fire usually are, or if single shot derringers would be practical.

I can read the rules all day long, but the shooters are what tell you what is really right. I do not want to buy something, and find that it may be legal, but does not work well.

I am really just looking for a reason to buy something else that I really do not need.

Any help is appreciated!

The Richards-Mason is a main match gun so it can not be used as a pocket pistol reguardless of the barrel length.

The Richards-Mason is a main match gun so it can not be used as a pocket pistol reguardless of the barrel length.

Howdy

That's right. The way it works is, if it is a Main Match pistol you cannot use it as a Pocket Pistol, and vice versa.

Other than the big heavy Bond dominating the derringer class, what are the best options for the pocket pistol events?

:huh:

Try to find a working and reliable top-break revolver such as a Smith & Wesson, Iver Johnson, Hopkins and Allen, etc. The later manufacture the better as those were made for smokeless powder. They will be either 32 S&W or 38 S&W.

Try to find a working and reliable top-break revolver such as a Smith & Wesson, Iver Johnson, Hopkins and Allen, etc. The later manufacture the better as those were made for smokeless powder. They will be either 32 S&W or 38 S&W.

+1

If your looking for a top break for side matches pm me I picked one up lately and just don't have a use for it.

Archived