SASS Wire Forum

Double Trouble?

McCandless

The post about '97's got me t' thinking about a situation I ran across some time ago... with my double.

I was making my normal achingly slow run through a stage, (albeit with plenty of smoke n' boom!), and came to the last two targets... shotgun knockdowns. 1st one went down, second one didn't (so what else is gnu?)

Popped two more shells in the double and let it have both barrels! (Don't get too many target that stay up after that.)

RO said that if I didn't already have a P, I woulda got one for that. (I earned the first one, fair n' square earlier in the stage).

Now I've done that double blast on a missed shotgun target many times, but this is the only time I was ever admonished that it could be called for a procedural... Is this something I need to curb my enthusiasm on? It certainly isn't a competitive advantage. Dood I did it wrong?

:blink:

Giving a KD both barrels with a smokey double is worth a P! The crowd appeal alone is worth it. :lol:

Its only a "P" if the number of shotgun shots is specified. Most shotgun is comstock, until down, two wacks "PUT HER DOWN"

If the stage specified "no double taps" then it would be a P, but it would not make any sense to say "no double taps" when you are also instructed to shoot knockdowns until they are down.

Just ask him what is the basis for assessing a procedural in that case and see what he says.

RO did not know the rules. Unless there was a very special stage instruction, it is fine to shoot where that KD was standing with the extra shell to clear your gun. It does add a fraction of a second to your score, you realize that, right? And, it is always OK to dump on the ground any unneeded, unfired shell out of your SxS, also.

Good luck, GJ

RO did not know the rules. Unless there was a very special stage instruction, it is fine to shoot where that KD was standing with the extra shell to clear your gun. It does add a fraction of a second to your score, you realize that, right? And, it is always OK to dump on the ground any unneeded, unfired shell out of your SxS, also.

Good luck, GJ

There's always the possibility it is a range rule at that specific range. Never seen that specifically prohibited, but conceivably could be. Should be announced at Safety Meeting prior to shoot.

As for the dumping of unfired rounds out of the shotgun onto the ground...shot an annual match at a club in Arkansas this summer where it is NOT ok to dump unfired rounds on the ground. They are concerned with a round landing on the primer on gravel and discharging. It was announced at the Safety Meeting so everyone knew the rule. Don't remember what the penalty was but there was a penalty if you did it.

Duc,

If this happens again and I'm at the match tell the RO to see me ;). You and I don't shoot fast enough to worry about competitive advantage and there was nothing wrong with what you did. I've always enjoyed watching and hearing it.

As for the dumping of unfired rounds out of the shotgun onto the ground...shot an annual match at a club in Arkansas this summer where it is NOT ok to dump unfired rounds on the ground. They are concerned with a round landing on the primer on gravel and discharging. It was announced at the Safety Meeting so everyone knew the rule. Don't remember what the penalty was but there was a penalty if you did it.

So, what penalty do they impose when a rifle shooter or a 97 shotgun shooter jacks a live round out of their gun? Same as dropping an unfired round out of the SxS? If not, is this because they are biased about SxS shotguns?

This of course is a dead-horse topic about a rule based on no practical experience and very, very little chance of any possibility of injury. I believe I would not go back to a club that had a rule that was based on so much ignorance.

Good luck, GJ

In fact, from a post on The High Road, here's the closest I can find to a situation where a shotshell outside the confines of a chamber, caused an injury:

I witnessed a 12 ga shotshell go off in a guys hand once. We were shooting 5 stand and a young man was using a Beretta 391 and would close the action by hitting the bolt release button with a shotshell. Well I was standing in the station to the right of him looking right at him when it happened. He dropped his first shell into the gun and hit the button to close the bolt, he must have hit the primer in the shell just right and went off in his hand.

The sound was a loud pop but nothing like being fired in a chamber. There was a small puff of blackish smoke too. The fella turned white as a ghost as he flung the shell. Upon inspection, the shell simply split down the side and the wad and shot were still intact.

Other than some back smudge and redness on his hand he was ok but I think he learned his lesson on using a shotshell to close the action on his gun.

Royal,

thanks! Always figured shotshells wuz for shootin' and not for dumpin'! (my preference, anyways...) That, and a good duc call blast for emphasis :ph34r:

So, what penalty do they impose when a rifle shooter or a 97 shotgun shooter jacks a live round out of their gun? Same as dropping an unfired round out of the SxS? If not, is this because they are biased about SxS shotguns?

This of course is a dead-horse topic about a rule based on no practical experience and very, very little chance of any possibility of injury. I believe I would not go back to a club that had a rule that was based on so much ignorance.

Good luck, GJ

I agree with ya on the issue. This was my first time at this range and my first time to ever encounter this rule. Being a guest, I asked some of the local shooters that very question about rifle rounds, didn't actually think to ask about a '97 since I wasn't shooting one. Their answer was that in a course of fire if a round was "accidentally" jacked out, no penalty. But if you loaded 2 in a double and only shot one then dumped the unfired round on the gravel, it was a penalty. They said they were told that those who made the rules for the range wanted to eliminate as many possible chances for an accident as possible and felt this was one they wanted to enforce. Hey, I guess "their range, their rules." Again, I agree that the possibility is so slim it's not an issue.

There's always the possibility it is a range rule at that specific range. Never seen that specifically prohibited, but conceivably could be. Should be announced at Safety Meeting prior to shoot.

Yep, That's why I haven't been back there and one other club that has that STUPID RULE :angry: :angry: :angry:

Archived