SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne Auction

Here are some of the prices realized from the John Wayne auction. Keep in mind these prices DO NOT include the 20% buyer's premium and CA state tax.

Wayne's Golden Globe for TRUE GRIT: $143,400

Costume from THE SHOOTIST: $20,315

Wayne Hat worn in THE COWBOYS, TRAIN ROBBERS: 119,500

TRUE GRIT vest: $35,850

TRUE GRIT EYE PATCH: $47,800

Wayne's Gunbelt: $$77,675

Shirt from MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE: $44,812

Costume from THE QUIET MAN: $31,070

Scripts (annotated in Wayne's handwriting):

STAGECOACH: $11,950

SANDS OF IWO JIMA: $7,767

THE QUIET MAN: $17,925

THE SEARCHERS: $41,825

TRUE GRIT: $19,120

THE SHOOTIST: $38,837

Contract for SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON: $7,170

Contract for THE SEARCHERS: $11,950

4 different letters from John Ford: $5,975; $5,078; $$2,390; $15,535

Fedora hat belonging to John Ford: $5,377

Wayne's US Passport: $16,730

Wayne's last CA Driver's License: $89,625

Pair of Wayne's glasses: $19,120

2 prescription bottles belonging to Wayne: $1,254

And $179,250 for his Green Beret. :blink:

A door off the Wild Goose and the crapper from the Duke's on board head are for sale in a gun store in Tombstone AZ for only $1500.

Not the way I want to remember the man, but I do have some special memories of time spent aboard the Wild Goose.

There is a bit of sadness about his "pieces" being auctioned off... I wish they would put it all in a museum.. but I guess it is what it is. The thing is, it was not John Wayne the man really it was the legend.. what he represented to his fans... I guess I want to know his stuff is safe and secure for a future generation to enjoy.

Actually, the prices listed here DO include the 19.5% buyers premium if anyone cares.

The Wayne family has in fact donated tons of items to museums both before and after The Duke's death. Many of the buyers of the higher end items will actually wind up donating the items to museums anyway. The family is certainly keeping some items for their sentimental value but what are you going to do with an old eye drop prescription or a case of Perrier bottles? There was a big lawsuit between the family members of how to handle and value the estate but keep in mind that this was an entire household of "stuff" that they had to do something with in order to divide the estate.

Many fans have expressed sadness that these items were auctioned off, the same way they did after the Roy Rogers auctions last year. The fact is that it is a huge expense to manage a museum or collection such as this and (in Roy's case) became a problem of negative cash flow. I'm sure the Duke wouldn't have wanted his posessions to become a burden for his family to manage. He was always willing to gift items to his fans while he was alive. So I say, why not give the fans the opportunity to share a piece of the icon.

Archived