SASS Wire Forum

Boots

rogerpjr

Howdy Roger, unless you are shooting in one of the costume categories (Classic Cowboy, B-Western) boots are not required, a comfortable pair of leather shoes will work fine. I have a pair of plain, and captoe oxfords that are PC. For a boot look with shoe comfort try the Roper Kiltie. Good Luck :)

Roper Kiltie

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Need to get some new boots as mine are killing my feet. What are some good sources of period correct boots (tried Wild West and River Junction) but want some other choices.

When my feet hurt. Period correct can go out the window.

That said. I like Ariat Heritage Stockman Ropers.

Good on my feet. Good for every category. Form CC and even would be good for BW.

They run about $130 bucks.

I bought a pair probably 6 years back..

Can't remember the brand name at this time but they have a big H on the sole..

I wanted something comfy cuz' I already knew I might be on my feet for a few hours.. like 5-6 :wacko:

Found a pair that fit with thick socks on.. and then went to tryin' bigger and wider pairs until

I found a pair that fit comfortably with an extra insole in them..

Like Dr. Sholls or something else like that...

Thick socks and extra insoles... stay purty comfy..

Rance <_<

I like the boots from The Fort!

CPK

Dang! That is a good price! If not for the Vibram soles (not exactly "period-correct" ;) )those are trick! That's what ya need when strollin' down tiled floors! Period correct boots on hard surfaces or wet grass are like walking on an ice rink! I have learned that Duct tape on the soles is a necessity when doing school/museum living history programs or doing anything where slick floors are involved!

Anyhow, those boots are nice and the price is right. When my Durangos wear out I may have to look at these. I paid the same price for the ones I wear everyday now! Thanks for that link.

Bodine

Check out Pale Rider boots from Tonto Rim. They may not be the least expensive boots around but for me they sure are comfortable.

Another option is lace-up packer boots.

Kinda depends on what you are replicating.

Navy Boon Dockers from Army Navy in Chicago run 50 bucks and are similar to Army Shoes In use from Civil war thru Teddy Roosevelt era.

I got a pair of Stock CA Boots Cav / Infantry boots not cheap but 1/2 the price of their custom boots. Using a store foot sizer my feet measure 10 - 10.5 B

The CA Boots that fit were 8.5 E go figure. Square toes and shorter length must some how magically translate to fitting a longer narrower foot. Who knows

Boots originally had the high front flap had them cut off to like a 14 inch boot.

Lots of people buy stock walmart harness boots and cut off the harness with a really sharp knife.

The important thing is finding some that fit well and provide support. Wondering if the Dr. Scholls instant orthodic inserts would help. Rumor Has it some walmarts have the computer / machine that tells ya what insert you need.

In a perfect world I would wear a pair of Danner Gortex Combat boots a buddy gave me. Brand new he scored them in the navy and did not quite fit. Put them on and felt like they were custom made for my feet. Even though not period correct wear them on wet cold days working as a ranger at WR. With an army uniform and leggings no one seems to notice or are polite enough not to call me out. Lot to be said for warm/dry comfortable feet. Actually they are probably legal in anything but classic cowboy or wild bunch.

Having spent many years in the infantry have developed an appreciation for taking care of my primary mode of transport. Good socks almost as important as good boots. Cotton are worthless in the cold. Wool are probably best if wet and cold. Do not use multiple pairs to the point of making shoes too tight. Feet freeze really quick if circulation cut off. Keeping legs warm with long johns etc helps to keep feet warm.

Navy Boon Dockers from Army Navy in Chicago run 50 bucks and are similar to Army Shoes In use from Civil war thru Teddy Roosevelt era.

+1, and they are almost as uncomfortable as the CW shoe! :lol:

Thanks for the replies. Ordered a pair from the Fort. Would have preferred the leather soles but shied away due to the slip factor and wearing them on rocky ground. Besides, no one is looking at the bottoms most times anyway.

Archived