SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane rush is on

Went to Costco last night,,,a local big-box food/household goods store.

Shelves stripped of flashlights, batteries, portable generators, etc.

Lots of folks fearing the worst; the weather folks are playing this one up big, and you just can't tell whether we're in for just a soaking or the mother of all storms.

Tracking predictions are all over the place; can't decide whether to stay put in central MA, or head to the cottage on the Cape. Leanin' toward staying put; the Cape is a bit exposed.

It's going to be a rough ride, I think.

LL

Howdy Loophole

Really hard to say at this point. Country Pond has canceled their match on Sunday. Probably expecting torrential rain. I'm waiting to see what the prediction is for southern NH for tomorrow's match in Epping.

Looks really ugly for the NC coast, hate to see the Outer Banks get re-arranged again...

Dateline Keene NH......

Spent some time yesterday getting stuff outside squared away just in case, today I'll top up the water tank on the camper and get an lp bottle filled so the "life raft" in the driveway is ready. Have gas for the generator and will plug into shore power to keep battery topped off as well.

The farther east this goes the more I like it but right now it looks like Rancho De Pony will be in the torrential rain area rather then the high wind zone which is ok by me. Yesterday they had storm tracks showing the eye passing right over us here in the Monadnock region which would have been just wonderful news but now they are looking a little farther east.

Loophole like Driftwood says its a crapshoot right now, 6 5 pickem as to which would be better. Was at a local hardware store yesterday, still plenty of supplies though some older gent was asking about plywood etc but I really dont think he understood what the process was.

Driftwood, I emailed Capt Morgan yesterday and he sent out an email this AM saying the Sig shoot was still on as we arent supposed to get any heavy weather until late afternoon or evening. I wouldnt be surprised if they did the same thing as last time in Candia and run six stages right quick. I should be able to get everything I need to do done today so unless they move up the arrival time of Irene shooting at Sig sounds like a good way to kill time before the storm.

The further inland you go the safer you will be.

Lower level winds lose a lot of their power over land.

I've been through more hurricanes than I can count living on the SE coast for 50+ years.

They scare me.

Tracking predictions are all over the place; can't decide whether to stay put in central MA, or head to the cottage on the Cape.

That is the trouble... tracking. They can do funny things. Wildcat and I got trapped in Cozumel when Hurricane Mitch decided to do funny things back in 1998. You realize how insignificant you are up against nature's fury. Stay safe. Do the smart thing.

I guess I've been through 3 of them. The other one was in Pensacola Fl., when I was in school, there, for the Navy. I don't remember its name. They're awesome, in a negative sense. They feel unnatural to me—the wind just shouldn't blow that hard for that long, it seems—though of course they are natural.

And when some debris is blown into something else..... Best to get away...... It's a good time to be in Vegas. :)

Thanks, all. Twenty years ago last weekend, Hurricane Bob hit the Cape, sending an 11' storm surge from the ocean up the river that my cottage is on. Almost every boat still in the water pulled its mooring and floated away; many were left on top of pilings, bridges and trees when the water finally receded. Huge losses of property, houses lifted from their foundations and collapsed, no power for a week, and for most folks, no insurance (flood insurance down this way is pricey). We were some of the last folks over the bridge before they closed access to and from the Cape. We were lucky, with only minor damage; some of our friends lost big time.

Right now, this storm looks like it has a good chance to reduce over land before it hits here; but there is no real sure predictability, so we're closing up the cottage and heading home (inland and further north). I'm glad we have that alternative.

Storm updates later. You boys up north check your pumps; I understand that your biggest risk from this one may be major flooding.

LL

The wind here comes and goes, as does the rain. So far, Irene has not lived up to what all the media hype predicted for our area by this time.

Well everything is as battened down as its going to be, tubs full of water and stuff gathered and set ready to go. Going to leave everything on charge and if, being optimistic here, the power goes I'll be able to keep up with world events by android. Now its time to relax and watch the Dr Who marathon so....

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street level maps coveing all of Florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez."

Well...

It's hot and humid outside - you can feel something in the air.

We've had a few bands of rain come through, but no big wind yet; supposed to blow early tomorrow A.M.

My sense is that this is not going to be a major event.

My son just got back from the cottage; he did the final tie-down on the boats, saving the old man another round trip. Gave me time to take my Dad to the range for his first shooting lesson. At 87, he wants to learn to shoot. :rolleyes::rolleyes: He likes my Vaquero Birdsheads...

LL

Irene has just knocked at the door...

Winds are picking up - the 100' pines in my yard are starting to move like a metronome.

Lost power at about 7:45 this morning - that means no A/C, no water and no cooking - other than the coffee and scrambled eggs I cooked over a propane torch.

Well, settling in with a good book (there's still daylight) and a short use of my laptop - conserving batteries.

Worst is supposed to be round 4:00 PM

LL

I guess I've been through 3 of them. The other one was in Pensacola Fl., when I was in school, there, for the Navy. I don't remember its name. They're awesome, in a negative sense. They feel unnatural to me—the wind just shouldn't blow that hard for that long, it seems—though of course they are natural.

And when some debris is blown into something else..... Best to get away...... It's a good time to be in Vegas. :)

They live. They breathe. They grow larger and stronger then weaken and age. They howl and scream with rage and claw things to pieces. No wonder we give them names. Although I've always thought we should give them demon names instead of human ones.

They're not natural.

They're supernatural.:blink:

Archived