SASS Wire Forum

Is there something wrong with me?

Utah Bob #35998

I can't imagine someone who made their living with a gun didn't tinker with it to make it as smooth as possible, or have someone else do it for him.

OK, Grizz, Let's put it another way...........

I like a pick-em truck to drive like a pick-em up truck.

I want my old time looking guns to shoot like ole time guns.

Now being fast, back in the day, was not just to clear leather, but to cock the hammer, draw a bead on the target and fire.

Many a fast draw got dieded by bein' fast...and not accuarate !

I am sure there is plenty wrong with you UB :P , but your point with 'guns' is fine.

I used to be a out-of-the-box advocate for guns and was perfectly happy with the way they felt and worked. BUT, one day I tried a slicked up Marlin - and it felt great - so I had mine slicked up. Then I treid a slicked up '92 - and it felt great - so I had mine slicked up. Then I tried a slicked up Vaquero - and it felt great - so I had mine slicked up. The Vaquero when shooring 'gunfighter' would be a bit of a chore after a few stages, but now I can go all day with 'em. the guns are easier to shoot and more enjoyable to ME.

...and there's nothing wrong with that ~ to each his own, right? ;)

My guns have been worked on by Deuce Stevens and Ketchum Quick - they aren't 'renowned' so to speak, but being great shooters they know thier stuff - it is great to have locals that can do the work of any of the famous gun slicker folks out there.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That's a very good idea, G.G.

ME.........WHAT'S GOOD FOR ME !!

I perfer weapons out of the box while you perfer slicked up ones.

I prefer weapons that suit ME.

You prefer weapons that suit YOU.

It's been said before and applies here ~~ To each his/her own !! ;)

UB, I have not slicked up any of my weapons.

The C&B pistolas, I have changed the steel nipppels to tresco nippels and have lever actions that are leather wrapped.

I can't find any where that there was a slicked up gun in history.

Well, there is this record on file at the Colt Factory:

Maintained in the Colt archives is a letter dated July 30, 1885 from Masterson written on the stationery of the Opera House Saloon, Dodge City, Kansas, ordering a new revolver.

“Please send me one of your nickel-plated short .45 Calibre revolvers, it is for my own use, and for that reason I would like to have a little Extra pains taken with it. I am willing to pay Extra for Extra work. Make it very Easy on trigger and have the front sight a little higher and thicker than the ordinary pistol of this kind, put on a gutta percha handle and send it as soon as possible. Have the barrel about the same length as the Ejector rod is. Truly Yours, W.B. Masterson.”

That sounds like an order for a slicked up gun to me :)

Well, there is this record on file at the Colt Factory:

That sounds like an order for a slicked up gun to me :)

Yup. The people who depended on their irons made dang sure they had the best if they had any sense. And Bat did,

Well...I mean other than the obvious things. dry.gif

But I don't have any super slicked up guns. I've done a little work on some. Polishing, new springs, etc. that pretty much anybody can do themselves. But almost everybody I know has sent their guns out to a renowned SASS gunsmith to be improved.

I don't seem to have any desire to do it. Am I just too cheap? I've used some of those slicked up masterpieces and they're fantastic, but I still don't mind my mostly stock guns.

I guess I'm too easy to please. :unsure:;)

I dunno.. I think it is a choice.... I am not fast, would like to be a bit faster for my own enjoyment.. but I don't have anything shortstroked. i am considering flat triggers on my Rugers maybe shoot gunfighter but just for fun.. I try to beat no one but me.. I work all day long, shooting and my pads are my pleasure and I enjoy t hem by being simple little me. Now some of them are darn fast, and thye are slicked and I love them just like they are .. because that is part of what I love about them.. they are them, and they let me be me... we laugh, have gun, they help me.. I try to help back.. and in the end it works.. they get what they want and I get what I want.. So, Utahs.. do it your way and have fun is all I guess.. But hey, I am a chick what do I know anyhow.. lol You know I am all touchee feelee.. lol

I called Coyote Cap this morning about getting my 1887 done, and he was very informative about what he would do, cost, etc., but, dang, is he a TALKER! :lol:

I may do a bit of polishing of internal parts, but that's about it. I did finally break down and order Nate's video on re-working a '92, and that was an excellent investment.

I lose time on stages due to waiting on the front sight to settle in, reholstering, talking to the RO and spotters while shooting, fumbling shotgun shells, etc, not because a hammer spring is 0.1 pounds heavier than it should be.

I may do a bit of polishing of internal parts, but that's about it. I did finally break down and order Nate's video on re-working a '92, and that was an excellent investment.

I lose time on stages due to waiting on the front sight to settle in, reholstering, talking to the RO and spotters while shooting, fumbling shotgun shells, etc, not because a hammer spring is 0.1 pounds heavier than it should be.

Yup - need to do that as well...

Yup - need to do that as well...

My '92 was done by Nate (bought it that way), but I've viewed the video. He lost me at "we're going to make this part look like this drawing...." I ain't that good. :) He sure did a good job on my '92 though.....although it's now a back-up since acquiring my '66.

Chick

Archived