SASS Wire Forum

Food Poisoning...

:unsure::wacko::excl::ph34r:

And that's 'bout all I gots to say on THAT subjeck! :(

:unsure: Puke......YUCK !!!!! :unsure::wacko:

glad you survived Hardpan :blush:

Only ever had it bad once, that was more than enough. Ate some bad shrimp, fever, chills, running from both ends. Thankfully it ran it's course in about a day.

Grizz

I had it three times. First time, well, Charlie Battery was on KP. That lasted overnight. Second time I had fried clams with my father, that was about 24 hours. Third time, I had fried clams with my father, that lasted almost two days. Haven't had fried clams since.

I got it from eating turkey. Took me almost four years before I could eat turkey again without involuntarily gagging. Needless to say, Thanksgivings were tough for me for a few years.

I've had the mild 1 or 2 day kind a few times. The worst was a Thanksgiving. I am a very clean and careful cook, too. Not sure what I did; no one else got sick, thank goodness. Just when my daughter and I dipped everything up into bowls and platters for serving, I just felt myself turn green and insides flip around. Could not stand looking at food or smelling it...and could not stand at all for that matter. I was layed out for 3 days--couldn't move or talk. Looking back, someone should have called 911.

Yuck.. that is horrible.. I am glad you are okay.

When I lived in GA my father, his wife, my sister and her husband came to visit. The drove out and stopped along the way in AL. My sister picked up a cantalope and they all ate that except for her. They all got sick and were sick for days. When they arrived at my house my father was so ill he would not eat. A couple years later I move to MO, and again they drive out, this time they stop off and eat at a local burger joint, but my step mothers daughter and her family take them there. So, all of them got sick too.... They again show up at my house a few days later worn out, and this time my step mom is really bad. She was sick for months after that, but I am not sure if it was the burger for all that time or not.

Anyhow, A year later when I called them and said I was coming home, my father was stunned... so all I could say was, well I am tired of you guys being sick at my house... lol.. It put a twist of humor in a couple of events that were not exactly fun.. lol. We still laugh about it.. I say the got sick on purpose so I would have to come out here, or buy them a ice chest and stock it with food to keep them from eating in AL.. lol..

Sam, 'twarn't mine own cooking. :(

Suspect it was the cottage cheese in a restaurant. Who orders cottage cheese in a restaurant??? :huh: THAT ain't gonna happen ag'in! :wacko:

did you see a Doc? are you sore from hurling? ooooo mama's li'l baby try to drink Coke. it has everything in it that can purk you up if you can't eat...electrolites, salt, sugar, some caffeine

Sorta...

I figgered out what the problem was - sadly, been there before a time or four...

But was on a road trip to visit old friends. Recovered enough to have lunch with Dan and Ellen the next day (DANG was I hungry!). Anyhoo, Dan's a doctor. Treated us to lunch and said "Yup... food poisoning. You'll be okay in a day or two...." and kinda chewed me out for not callin' him in the middle of the night.

"But Dan... it was the middle of the night!" :huh:

"So???" :rolleyes:

No Coke, but I've been makin' a dent in the world's supply of Diet 7-Up. Back to work tomorrow! ;)

I remember a time me and four co-workers were in north central Mexico and everyone ate some salad that had unpasteurized cheese. Coulda been the lettuce but suspect the cheese. Don't know for I was the only one that wouldn't eat it and the only one that didn't get violently ill. After a horrendous night for the others I bet we made 50 quick stops on the 150 mile trip to the US border.

Yeah, I learned early to avoid anything but beans, rice and cooked beef down there. Also, do not order any drink containing ice. Most of the ice plants draw water straight from the rivers and freeze it...you can only imagine whats in it.

Listeria, Salmonella, Amoeba, and occasionally E. coli are all waiting for you there. Wash it and cook it! Its all in the handling too. For instance, netted cantalope is hard to clean anyway. So heres some handler that just cut up a bunch of raw chicken and then slices and dices your fruit with the same knife. Bingo!

How many of you wash off your watermelon, melons and other fruit before cutting it up? Not many I bet especially with cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon. Just sayin. Our lab worked closely with the cut fruit industry and we were appalled at the lack of common sensical methods to prevent contamination which fortunately have been largely corrected.

ooooo mama's li'l baby try to drink Coke. it has everything in it that can purk you up if you can't eat...electrolites, salt, sugar, some caffeine

The doctor finally had to give me a shot to keep me from dehydrating. My dear little mother-in-law started doctoring me with Coke. Yep...that's the stuff. It works!

Archived