SASS Wire Forum

I hate shooting whit Murphy

Today was the Gold Country Wild Bunch monthly The day started out great ...good nights sleep...the sun was shinning bright...just a great day for a shoot.

I was going to shoot traditional for the first time with a new 1911 that I have only put 5 rounds through just to see if it fired...I figured I would just break it in at a match........First stage 4 shotgun 10 rifle 15 pistol...gun order shooters choice...I go with the flow shotgun, rifle, pistol...the stage starts out good BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG and the lollipops go down....then that damn Irishman Murphy shows up and the Chinchester is locked up and I cannot open the breach...malfuntion...I set it down pick up the rifle thinkin about whats up with my 97 I lose count on a Nevada sweep and earn a P....draw my pistol two rounds go off then nothing...not in battery...slam it with my left hand last three go off ...left hand is bleeding....mag change....not in battery again....more left hand...more blood...two rounds...time for more blood...finish the mag with a miss or two new mag...four rounds go bang fifth does not feed right....clear the jam add a mag fire one drop the mag clear and lock the slide...time 78+ 1 P & two misses....

The Chinchester locked up because I lost a screw from the carrier.

Borrow a shotgun for the next stage 8 shotgun 10 rifle 15 pistol miss the first shotgun with the borrowed gun rifle goes ok ..draw the pistol....one round goes bang then jams....I call it a day...I run to the pistol range grab 100 hard ball have problems with the first 5 or 10 the rest run just fine ...went for the reloads...the new gun just don't like them...gun needs a ramp polish and a throat job...run to my gunsmith and he takes a screw out of a real 97 he has for sale and placed an order for more screws...so the Chinchester will be running for the High Sierra Shootout next week and I have my modern 1911 for the side match if my smith cannot get the work done on the mil spec...I was not the only one Murphy messed with today two other shooters had problems with guns in the first two stages!

On the brite side I will have working guns for the Shootout :rolleyes:

Today was the Gold Country Wild Bunch monthly The day started out great ...good nights sleep...the sun was shinning bright...just a great day for a shoot.

I was going to shoot traditional for the first time with a new 1911 that I have only put 5 rounds through just to see if it fired...I figured I would just break it in at a match........First stage 4 shotgun 10 rifle 15 pistol...gun order shooters choice...I go with the flow shotgun, rifle, pistol...the stage starts out good BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG and the lollipops go down....then that damn Irishman Murphy shows up and the Chinchester is locked up and I cannot open the breach...malfuntion...I set it down pick up the rifle thinkin about whats up with my 97 I lose count on a Nevada sweep and earn a P....draw my pistol two rounds go off then nothing...not in battery...slam it with my left hand last three go off ...left hand is bleeding....mag change....not in battery again....more left hand...more blood...two rounds...time for more blood...finish the mag with a miss or two new mag...four rounds go bang fifth does not feed right....clear the jam add a mag fire one drop the mag clear and lock the slide...time 78+ 1 P & two misses....

Borrow a shotgun for the next stage 8 shotgun 10 rifle 15 pistol miss the first shotgun with the borrowed gun rifle goes ok ..draw the pistol....one round goes bang then jams....I call it a day...I run to the pistol range grab 100 hard ball have problems with the first 5 or 10 the rest run just fine ...went for the reloads...the new gun just don't like them...gun needs a ramp polish and a throat job...run to my gunsmith and he takes a screw out of a real 97 he has for sale and placed an order for more screws...so the Chinchester will be running for the High Sierra Shootout next week and I have my modern 1911 for the side match if my smith cannot get the work done on the mil spec...I was not the only one Murphy messed with today two other shooters had problems with guns in the first two stages!

Had almost da same thing happened to me a while back

But it envoled clothes, not weapons ! ;)

I had a run in with Murphy at our last match. I was on the final stage with NO misses. I was so close to shooting the clean match when Murphy struck. On that final stage I somehow managed to loose two shotgun shells and had a primer that didnt go off in my my revolver. That lead me to three misses on the last stage. :blush:

Hi Woodie,

I had my guns, etc. in the car. Got up looked at the clouds, found out it was a burn day, and decided to stay home and work. We had quite a mess after that last storm. It's all gone now.

Sorry to hear about all the gun problems. That's not fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Murphy treats ya better if ya buy him a Guinness.

GG

Do you have any idea how many would clam they they are Murphy if I was to say "I'm buying" :wacko:

Somebody in "Cowboys" once recommended a cheap home gunsmithing remedy, that is, smear a big tube of toothpaste inside the gun and just work the action back and forth for an hour or so while watching TV (or your hands fall of). You'll wind up with a nicely polished action (also makes it smell good). Of course, putting about 1000 rds of ball ammo thru it probably does the same. Seriously, I've been meaning to do this for quite a while, I just can't sit still for that long.

Hi Woodie,

I had my guns, etc. in the car. Got up looked at the clouds, found out it was a burn day, and decided to stay home and work. We had quite a mess after that last storm. It's all gone now.

Sorry to hear about all the gun problems. That's not fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Its no thing stuff happens and it is all a learning process....we run our equipment hard so malfunctions are just part of the game.

I was told from the beginning that with the 97 one should have 3...one to shoot...one for back-up and one in the shop...as for the 1911 I knew that it was a 50-50 chance that this may happen whether it is a high dollar Colt or Kimber or a low dollar Rock Island like mine the only thing they are guaranteed to shoot out of the box is hard ball..

It can be frustrating but it is no big deal....I could do the job on it myself but I know my gunsmith is better at it then I am so for the $40 bucks he charges it will be well worth the money ...

My smith may or may not have it ready for the Shootout as he is getting his stuff ready to make another trip to Gunsite....

I just can't believe his audacity of putting his stuff ahead of mine so he can take some time off and go play :excl:

Hi Woodie,

I keep hearing stuff like that about '97s too. My sweet baby has treated me well many years (12+). However, a few times after loaning her to folks. Hubby said don't do that, I'll send another '97 with you for them to use. Don't know what's up with that. :unsure:

See ya!

AM

Hi Woodie,

I keep hearing stuff like that about '97s too. My sweet baby has treated me well many years (12+). However, a few times after loaning her to folks. Hubby said don't do that, I'll send another '97 with you for them to use. Don't know what's up with that. :unsure:

See ya!

AM

Your Hubby is a smart man :)

Archived