SASS Wire Forum

You can shoot fast, shoot clean, or shoot OUTLAW

Whew! Worst times since my second match as a raw CAS newbie, and man did I go through some shotshells :unsure:

But through six stages, regardless of how far or small the targets, I stuck to the OUTLAW ALL THE TIME for a year pledge today. Best I did on any given stage was one pistol clean for five targets or 4 shotgun targets in four shots. Worst was a dad burned train wreck with 3 misses and ten shotshells to take six targets. BUT it was the most fun I've ever had shooting CAS, even though it rained pretty near all day.

I tried Outlaw the last match of last year, and this was the first time I've shot a whole match using no sights. I really do think this is a learnable method. The shotgun is actually getting a lot better, (the real bad stage had six targets, 4 of those were small coffin shapes set out a ways that took some doing to hit squarely), and the pistols are gaining a bit, showing promise of one day shooting clean....

Outlaw, because some of us don't look at the sights much anyway, so why raise the gun above the hip........

Whew! Worst times since my second match as a raw CAS newbie, and man did I go through some shotshells :unsure:

But through six stages, regardless of how far or small the targets, I stuck to the OUTLAW ALL THE TIME for a year pledge today. Best I did on any given stage was one pistol clean for five targets or 4 shotgun targets in four shots. Worst was a dad burned train wreck with 3 misses and ten shotshells to take six targets. BUT it was the most fun I've ever had shooting CAS, even though it rained pretty near all day.

I tried Outlaw the last match of last year, and this was the first time I've shot a whole match using no sights. I really do think this is a learnable method. The shotgun is actually getting a lot better, (the real bad stage had six targets, 4 of those were small coffin shapes set out a ways that took some doing to hit squarely), and the pistols are gaining a bit, showing promise of one day shooting clean....

Outlaw, because some of us don't look at the sights much anyway, so why raise the gun above the hip........

You go, AJ

I love shootin' Outlaw but you are right: Ya gotta bring a lot of shotgun shells with ya to make it worth your while and ya can't pay to much nevermind to your times.

10 shots to take 6 is not a train wreck. 8 to take 4, now that's a train wreck. Been there, done that.

When I do go to live practice, I devote at least 1/3 of the time shootin from the hip. Someday I might even hit a target or two. :lol:

See ya on the crookedy trail,

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Way to stay with it AJ, it is possiable to shoot outlaw clean, just does not happen much. My rule with the shotgun is bring twice a many shells as there are targets. My only miss at the Georgia State last week was a shotgun I left standing after I ran out of shells, after my run they brought me two shells I had dropped during the stage.

Who needs sigths?

Oh, and to set the tone for the day, my new (to me) '73 went "single action" on the first stage, requiring a second hit on each primer to fire a round. No RIFLE misses there though. Cranked the strain screw and fixed it after the stage, and it was good all day, even though it proved to me it had a miss or two built in if ya tried to air it out too much. (they are heavier and over-swing easier than a Marlin, LOL).

Kudos to the gang at Circle K for a great (if wet) day on the range....

Been thinking about switching ever since I saw Tn Tombstone doing it. One question...is Outlaw a legal SASS class?

It is not a SASS catagory however, many clubs are now awarding Outlaw. Look around there may be one near you.

Yep, it's LEGAL as there is nothing in the rules requiring you to use the sights. Is it recognized by SASS? Nope. If ya can get yer club to parse it out, fine, if not then ya shoot "duelist" and if ya can get others to go along, informally keep track of who among ya did best.

We've limited the shotgun to 50 per stage. :lol::lol::lol: If'n ya ain't tried it your missin out on some fun.

We've limited the shotgun to 50 per stage. :lol::lol::lol: If'n ya ain't tried it your missin out on some fun.

I knew I'd find a reason ta justify the old Mec reloader I bought... :lol:

Yep, it's LEGAL as there is nothing in the rules requiring you to use the sights. Is it recognized by SASS? Nope. If ya can get yer club to parse it out, fine, if not then ya shoot "duelist" and if ya can get others to go along, informally keep track of who among ya did best.

Reckon there's any chance it'll ever be an SASS approved catagory??

I have heard SASS is looking at Outlaw but they have not contacted me about it :lol:

I expect with enough practice and refining of technique, a shooter could be reliably clean and fast shooting Outlaw.

T Bone Dooley won overall at Midwest Classic a couple of years ago shooting Outlaw -clean match to boot! 230 shooters or so.

CR

Haven't tried it yet, but to me, if you look at all the old cowboy westerns, it's the only way to shoot...

• 2 weeks later...

Shot Outlaw for the first time during a match. I had been doing it some at my range. It was a BLAST!! Had at least one miss on every stage. I didn't think that was too bad.

Archived