SASS Wire Forum

Basketball Travel Rule

Wyatt

I have been thinking about this one for a while and wondering a what point does it become traveling?

22. Movement is not allowed with a loaded, cocked firearm. Movement is defined by the basketball "traveling" rule. Whenever a shooter has a loaded, cocked firearm in hand, at least one foot must remain in place on the ground. 1st violation will result in Stage Disqualification; 2nd violation will result in Match Disqualification.

This includes leaving the loading table with a cocked loaded firearm.

SHB p.24/ROI p.19

In my younger days of playing basketball you could pivot 360 degrees on the ball of that planted foot. Before you jump on the 360 degrees thats not the question.

Can you pivot on that foot within the rule of 170 degrees or does that foot need to stay flat and in the same place on the ground. At what point is it considered traveling

Wyatt

The main problem as I see it with the basketball traveling rule is do we apply the original 1950's traveling rule or today's NBA traveling rules, which if I had a copy of their definitions would read something like "take as many steps as you want just don't tire yourself out, the refs won't call anything". :lol:

One foot must "Remain in place" would seem to give us guidance. That don't mean screw itself into the ground, it means stay put.

Watch a BP shooter run his rifle on a damp, still morning for an example. One foot moves (often several times) as he gets lower and lower, trying to see under the smoke, but the other foot STAYS PUT.

The terms Basketball "traveling" rule and at least one foot must remain in place on the ground seem to me to be at opposite ends of the definitions for movement.:wacko:

We use the term basketball traveling which does allow pivoting and a whole lot more.

Wyatt

Can you pivot on that foot within the rule of 170 degrees or does that foot need to stay flat and in the same place on the ground. At what point is it considered traveling

Wyatt,

As you correctly state, the basketball traveling rule allows you to pivot 360 degrees on your plant foot, as long as some portion of that foot remains in contact with the ground and you don't shuffle that foot. Same is true for us. You can spin around like an ice skater on crack on your plant foot, as long as the gun stays pointed within the 170.

Kid Hawkins

Wyatt,

As you correctly state, the basketball traveling rule allows you to pivot 360 degrees on your plant foot, as long as some portion of that foot remains in contact with the ground and you don't shuffle that foot. Same is true for us. You can spin around like an ice skater on crack on your plant foot, as long as the gun stays pointed within the 170.

Kid Hawkins

Oh man, you just gave me a visual of Wyatt on ice skates. :blink::lol:

Forget it Wyatt, you ain't wearing ice skates or smokin' crack in my truck.....no way, no how.

I had to look it up but apparently basketball is some sort of indoor game where you throw a ball at a hoop.

Who knew?? :blink:<_<:P

First off....KH thank you for the eloquent answer to my question. I now have a full visual understanding of the basketball traveling rule.....and one keyboard drying in the corner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man, you just gave me a visual of Wyatt on ice skates. :blink::lol:

Forget it Wyatt, you ain't wearing ice skates or smokin' crack in my truck.....no way, no how.

The skates ain't nothin'...wait till you see him in that cute little bodysuit!

KH

Sun, I do believe I will be driving to the next match at Eustus. My truck my rules.

If I'm wearing a cute little bodysuit....you may want to wear ice skates and smoke crack :ph34r::lol:

Wyatt

First off....KH thank you for the eloquent answer to my question. I now have a full visual understanding of the basketball traveling rule.....and one keyboard drying in the corner :lol:

Sun, I do believe I will be driving to the next match at Eustus. My truck my rules.

If I'm wearing a cute little bodysuit....you may want to wear ice skates and smoke crack :ph34r::lol:

Wyatt

If you are wearing a body suit and/or ice skates.........I have an accelerator/lead foot and a rear view mirror..........guess which one I WON'T be using.

:lol:

Oh man, you guys. Now I am going to have to mentally kill a hog to get that image out of my mind's eye.

:lol::P:lol::PB)

Dang Red, can you visualize killing that pig over at my house, I'm getting a might bit hungry for some pit roasted pork.........nevermind, I just visualized Wyatt in tights........can I watch slaughter that hog

Of coarse this Basketball rule only applies when the firearm is cocked!!

Not the entire string, like some people seem to think!!

When the hammer is down, one could do an Irish jig, if they care to.

In Wyatt's case a Pirouette, may be more appropriate.

Not that it would make any difference, because no RO can see Wyatt's feet and guns at the same time, it's physically impossible, even if you turn your head sideways!!

BH :lol:

Archived