SASS Wire Forum

custom Ruger bisley 454

Guest diablo slim shootist

What does it take to convert a bisley from 45 colt to 454.

Ruger shows no "Bisley Hunters " in that caliber.

Any one ever convert one or knows some gunsmith with that Talent? Thanks

Looked at Mr Bowen web site but no mention of 454 conversions. :huh:

All it takes is money! Linebaugh and others will make you a 5 shot .454 cylinder and fit it for you. Personally, I think if you have a .45 Colt in a Ruger (maybe not the new model) single action and you have about as much gun as you would need for most things. Just look to the Ruger Only loads in .45.

Check out this article for information: Linebaugh's Article on Heavy .45 loads etc.

A 260-310 grain bullet near 1200 fps will do just about anything you could ask of a handgun. Of course, I would never want to get in the way of a person spending money and getting anything they want!

+1

I have a .454 but I carry a 3 1/2" Vaquero/Bisley with very stout 325 gr loads when in grizzly country.

+1

I have a .454 but I carry a 3 1/2" Vaquero/Bisley with very stout 325 gr loads when in grizzly country.

Rufus is it a 5 shot or 6 shot cylinder?

was it custom made and by who? :huh:

All it takes is money! Linebaugh and others will make you a 5 shot .454 cylinder and fit it for you. Personally, I think if you have a .45 Colt in a Ruger (maybe not the new model) single action and you have about as much gun as you would need for most things. Just look to the Ruger Only loads in .45.

Check out this article for information: Linebaugh's Article on Heavy .45 loads etc.

A 260-310 grain bullet near 1200 fps will do just about anything you could ask of a handgun. Of course, I would never want to get in the way of a person spending money and getting anything they want!

Just want something a little different-could still shoot 45 colt. ;)

What does it take to convert a bisley from 45 colt to 454.

Ruger shows no "Bisley Hunters " in that caliber.

Any one ever convert one or knows some gunsmith with that Talent? Thanks

Why not just buy a Freedom Arms in .454. I've got a 5 1/2" with an extra .45acp cyl, it's really a nice piece.

I have been fortunate enough to own several 454's and 475 Linebaughs. The Ruger can be loaded up in th 45 to 454 Special type loads but if you want the real big stuff call Hamilton Bowen or Dave Clements. If hunting is your bag, I took a Cape Buffalo with a Clements 475 Linebaugh, and i know several guys and women that have done the same. they are all 5 shot cylinders when you reach this type of loads.

You want a REAL .454 then buy a Freedom Arms. ;)

The others are just want-to-bees...... <_<

BTDT,

LG

You know, you have a point. You would have to spend as much as a FA to get a Ruger tuned up and reconfigured into a custom gun to even approach the workmanship in a FA gun. The only one I've ever shot was tight as a bank vault and solid as a rock.

Having owned both FA and Ruger conversions to 454, for me the full Bisley grip of a Ruger, handles the recoil better than the FA grip. That's just me.

Thats what I was thinking too Dirt! ;)

"Having owned both FA and Ruger conversions to 454, for me the full Bisley grip of a Ruger, handles the recoil better than the FA

grip. That's just me." I agree!

I have two Rugers with the 3 1/2 barrels. One has a plow handle grip and one with a Bisley grip. Both started out as birdsheads. The birdshead was unbearable with heavy loads. The plow handle is great for SASS with 45 loads but gets uncomfortable with heavy (454 "specials"). The Bisley is nice. I'm talking 325 gr at 1000 to almost 1200 fps.

I did the work myself. One thing I found was that the Hogue wood grips are fatter-helps me control recoil. Here's a picture of my rig.

028.jpg?t=1304431928

Freedom Arms guns are built from the ground up to hold the 60,000+ PSI chamber pressure that the top end .454 Casull loads will give you.

FA uses 17-4 Stainless to built their guns.

Check out the Freedom Arms site.

YES, I do own one. ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Having owned both FA and Ruger conversions to 454, for me the full Bisley grip of a Ruger, handles the recoil better than the FA grip. That's just me.

Dirt, bet you knew I would chime in as to how much I like the FA. I have not fired a Ruger Bisley in 454 that I remember but as you know the FA is a semi-Bisley grip style. Shootist brother, Hamilton does do some awesome work, but I still think my money would go to the FA. The 454 is a very versatle cartridge and can be reloaded to some very fun velocities. Also, neat thing about finding a FA 454 for sale is that they are usually bargains and rarely abused or even hardly broken in. I think many have/had one to say they owned one or perhaps did not like recoil so decide to sale them. And, Diablo I might know where a bargain one is complete with Busnell Elite scope and Leupold mount, a 7.5".

bb

Dirt, bet you knew I would chime in as to how much I like the FA. I have not fired a Ruger Bisley in 454 that I remember but as you know the FA is a semi-Bisley grip style. Shootist brother, Hamilton does do some awesome work, but I still think my money would go to the FA. The 454 is a very versatle cartridge and can be reloaded to some very fun velocities. Also, neat thing about finding a FA 454 for sale is that they are usually bargains and rarely abused or even hardly broken in. I think many have/had one to say they owned one or perhaps did not like recoil so decide to sale them. And, Diablo I might know where a bargain one is complete with Busnell Elite scope and Leupold mount, a 7.5".

bb

There was no doubt in my mind you would chime in. You of all people know the quality of an FA. I bought 4 different FA 454's when i was hunting and plinking, never really found one I liked till I got a Bowen Ruger conversion. Then I found Dave Clements and had him build a 475 Linebaugh, 5.5", barrel band, express sights,Bisley ,micarta grips ...sold all the 454's, kept the 45's and the 475.

Get a hold of Gary Reeder in Flagstaff AZ......he makes all kinds of things that may detatch your retinas on Ruger frames.............his stuff is tremendous.

Archived