SASS Wire Forum

Legal fire arms transportation

greenfeild

Hello, I am new here. With the experience you guys have maybe you can help me out.

I would like to know what is the safest, and most legally indisputable way to transport a firearm in my vehicle. I drive an SUV that has no trunk or rear seats. I asked the sheriffs dept. How to transport guns, they said I couldn't and it wasn't their problem if I was going hunting or target shooting.

I'm thinking I should buy two armoured cases, one each for rifles and ammo, then pad locking them. Do you think this is ok?

I live in Monroe County Tennessee, there are no laws that I can find stating I cannot transport a gun in a car here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't drive with the guns pointed out the windows.

Well, you said any advice would be appreciated. :lol:

From the NRA-ILA site (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59)

If in doubt, a traveler should carry firearms unloaded, locked in a case, and stored in an area (such as a trunk or attached toolbox) where they are inaccessible from a vehicle’s passenger compartment and not visible from outside the vehicle. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate locked container.

and

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

"Don't drive with guns pointed out the window." Ha! That made me spill my koolaid, hilarious!

Thanks guys, I didn't realise driving around with guns was such serious business. I grew up with hunting and shooting, I've only recently realised how much the local LE disaproves.

• 5 weeks later...

"Don't drive with guns pointed out the window." Ha! That made me spill my koolaid, hilarious!

Thanks guys, I didn't realise driving around with guns was such serious business. I grew up with hunting and shooting, I've only recently realised how much the local LE disaproves.

Maybe get a CCW permit for your state? Then it does not matter...

I asked the sheriffs dept. How to transport guns, they said I couldn't and it wasn't their problem if I was going hunting or target shooting.

The Sheriffs Dept said you couldn't transport guns??

I'm confused.

The Sheriffs Dept said you couldn't transport guns??

I'm confused.

+1 on that UB. Sadly, a poor attempt at someone covering their a$$ so as not to be quoted should there be a problem, and even possibly because they didn't know the answer and didn't feel inclined to look it up and provide an answer.

Greenfield, I'm from Canada and one of thousands here that travel to matches and where I'm from rules are quite strict on transporting. I travel in the good ol USA a lot and Tennessee is my second home. Like already suggested, guns locked in a case and ammo locked in a separate case and all in the back not accessible to the driver you'll be good to go. To comply with my local rules I also have trigger locks on my pistols. This arrangement makes me travel at ease from concerns if I get stopped for something. You likely don't have to go the trigger lock extreme. Those in the know in your area will be glad to set you straight on specifics. I sure wish we had a 2nd Amendment up here in Canada!

Hello, I am new here. With the experience you guys have maybe you can help me out.

I would like to know what is the safest, and most legally indisputable way to transport a firearm in my vehicle. I drive an SUV that has no trunk or rear seats. I asked the sheriffs dept. How to transport guns, they said I couldn't and it wasn't their problem if I was going hunting or target shooting.

I'm thinking I should buy two armoured cases, one each for rifles and ammo, then pad locking them. Do you think this is ok?

I live in Monroe County Tennessee, there are no laws that I can find stating I cannot transport a gun in a car here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd suggest going to your state website and review the applicable state law. It'll probably be in the section of the state law under whoever adminsters the state carry permit process.

As a FYI, FOPA would not cover in-state travel and there are persistant rumors that some Northeastern states (NY, NJ & MA) choose to ignore FOPA.

Howdy

It varies tremendously from state to state. But don't lock up guns and ammo in the same container, a lot of states don't like that.

Greenfeild:

LOTS of variation state-to-state; everyone here is trying to be helpful, but the fact is that most of us don't know the rules for every state. For instance, the suggestion that having a concealed carry permit solves the problem might be correct in some states, but it certainly doesn't fix it in all....in my state, even a CCW holder must lock and seperately store unloaded long guns transported in a vehicle.

The best advice you received is to check your own state's laws; don't get nicked by relying on the advice of anyone from another jurisdiction.

LL

In a case separate from any ammunition, all the way in the back of the suv. The case must be large enough so the gun can not be concealed. Ex- a revolver in a case the size of a shoe box.

Archived