SASS Wire Forum

Stewed about it.. 10 lbs really?

Deja Vous

I met a friend at my gym the other night and her friend an exercise Physiologists ... They pretty much worked me to death.. lol.. My legs still hurt.. Anyhow they decided I am under weight by about 10 lbs.. and I need to build muscle mass.. so they put me thru my paces.. and I did hold up.. but I found out that hiking is cardio.. and lifting is nice.. but squats hurt.. lol. I disagree 10 lbs of muscle is a lot of extra weight... and extra weight will increase blood pressure and blood sugart right? K.. so I am a banking kinda person not a legal, or law or health person.. what do you think? Would 10 lbs not increase my blood sugar and my pressure??????? Not to mention my wardrobe dollars? geesh... I am so confused.. I am not underweight.. geesh..

During an average lifetime a human heart will beat more than 2.5 BILLION times. Exercise increases your heart rate, thereby unnecessarily wasting precious heartbeats and shortening your life. I'd avoid these masochist friends of yours. If you want to increase your body weight, go to Red Lobster.

During an average lifetime a human heart will beat more than 2.5 BILLION times. Exercise increases your heart rate, thereby unnecessarily wasting precious heartbeats and shortening your life. I'd avoid these masochist friends of yours. If you want to increase your body weight, go to Red Lobster.

loll well I like your view point pretty well .. lol I am feeling the love already.. lol

I'm here to help. :ph34r:

Yeah... and I am feeling so much better already.. where is that butter for dipping my crab legs anyhow? lol

I used to be the strength and conditioning coach, as well as head coach for a couple of sports at the high school where I teach and I've never heard of adding muscle mass, within reasonable limits, affecting blood sugar levels in any way. As far as whether you need to gain 10 pounds, that's hard to say, depends on your body type, endo, ecto, or mesomorph, and your current height, weight, body fat percentage, etc. Ten pounds is a fair amount of muscle to gain. It's been my experience that adult men, on average, can gain around 15+ pounds of muscle in a year. But even that is subject to a lot of factors,like those I've already listed as well as how long you have already been training. The first few years typically see the biggest gains with diminishing returns thereafter.

Personally, at six feet tall, 185 pounds I could stand to lose about 10, but age, injurys and pure laziness dictate otherwise.

I would not worry about them 10 lbs. as we get older the weight seems to come with it. Not with everyone but the most of us.

Ask your doctor if you're really underweight.

It's also pretty hard to build muscle mass as you get older.

I'm still about 10lbs shy of my fighting weight but I have an excuse. :ph34r:

Deja,

As for blood sugar it all depends on your diet. I'd sugest taking such a procedure very slow, if it is something that you want to do. If it aint broke, don't fix it...

Roy

It's hard for a woman to add 10 lbs of muscle mass, more so after the age of 35. I don't know your friend's friend but some Exercise Physiologists don't have a whole lot of training and while there are Board Certifications in EP there is not much licensing in that field. I recommend consulting a physician or at lest getting a second opinion from someone with more knowledge and training.

Diet will be important! Increased muscle mass will require more glucose (energy) and protein (amino acids) for both growth and maintenance. In women that increased muscle mass also requires more body water; females generally carry less body water. Be sure to increase your water intake if you are "bulking" up.

Blood glucose levels are a balance of hormonal (insulin and glucagon) actions and intake of carbohydrates. It's not what you eat (carbs, protein and fats), it HOW MUCH! Much of the epidemic of obesity we see today is due to excessive caloric intake; fats are the usual result of excessive carbohydrate intake.

Muscle stores a great deal of energy in the form of glycogen (a polymer of glucose). Exercise increases the ability of muscle to take in glucose from blood.

Exercise is a NEGATIVE risk factor for hypertension (BP), e.g. it reduces it!!

Have fun with those workouts!

DD

Medical Biochemist in real life

I used to be the strength and conditioning coach, as well as head coach for a couple of sports at the high school where I teach and I've never heard of adding muscle mass, within reasonable limits, affecting blood sugar levels in any way. As far as whether you need to gain 10 pounds, that's hard to say, depends on your body type, endo, ecto, or mesomorph, and your current height, weight, body fat percentage, etc. Ten pounds is a fair amount of muscle to gain. It's been my experience that adult men, on average, can gain around 15+ pounds of muscle in a year. But even that is subject to a lot of factors,like those I've already listed as well as how long you have already been training. The first few years typically see the biggest gains with diminishing returns thereafter.

Personally, at six feet tall, 185 pounds I could stand to lose about 10, but age, injurys and pure laziness dictate otherwise.

5' 7" 124 lbs.. so I am a bit tall and thin... I did wonder about the 10 lbs... I am so long and lean that I don't build muscle fast at all.

Deja,

As for blood sugar it all depends on your diet. I'd sugest taking such a procedure very slow, if it is something that you want to do. If it aint broke, don't fix it...

Roy

Well, nothing is broke yet.. lol..

Diet will be important! Increased muscle mass will require more glucose (energy) and protein (amino acids) for both growth and maintenance. In women that increased muscle mass also requires more body water; females generally carry less body water. Be sure to increase your water intake if you are "bulking" up.

Blood glucose levels are a balance of hormonal (insulin and glucagon) actions and intake of carbohydrates. It's not what you eat (carbs, protein and fats), it HOW MUCH! Much of the epidemic of obesity we see today is due to excessive caloric intake; fats are the usual result of excessive carbohydrate intake.

Muscle stores a great deal of energy in the form of glycogen (a polymer of glucose). Exercise increases the ability of muscle to take in glucose from blood.

Exercise is a NEGATIVE risk factor for hypertension (BP), e.g. it reduces it!!

Have fun with those workouts!

DD

Medical Biochemist in real life

I love walking the track.. but it is not toning and stretching was their point, and I was on the bottom end of the BMI chart lol.. But they used little pincher things on my thigh, tummy and upper arm... to determine that .. not sure how that really works. Hypertension is big in my family, and I am the ONE who does not have it cuz I do walk and watch what I put in my mouth. But my muscle is not what it use to be... I could see that..

Ask your doctor if you're really underweight.

It's also pretty hard to build muscle mass as you get older.

I'm still about 10lbs shy of my fighting weight but I have an excuse. :)

Yeah, pushups and squarts make you BURN darn it.. lol.l.

I am da oldest out of 4 kids, and da 'thinest", but since I've quit smokin' I've gained 25 #.

But I'm a type one dieabetic and fin' der be some sawbones in da saloon, dey can tell ya bout how bad it can be .

And I know ya wont git tested, so I'm through tellin' dat.

So, do not follow dos folks, wifout seein' a sawbones. 10#, at yur height and weight wood be alot to carry round. :blush:

5' 7" 124 lbs.. so I am a bit tall and thin... I did wonder about the 10 lbs... I am so long and lean that I don't build muscle fast at all.

If you feel good, and your doc hasn't said anything about it I wouldn't worry about it. The BMI is a fairly crude instrument IMHO, also the calibers you mentioned aren't perfect either, the person using them has to know what they're doing and even then they can vary from person to person. From a purely aesthetic perspective 5'7" at 124 sounds pretty good to me!

If you feel good, and your doc hasn't said anything about it I wouldn't worry about it. The BMI is a fairly crude instrument IMHO, also the calibers you mentioned aren't perfect either, the person using them has to know what they're doing and even then they can vary from person to person. From a purely aesthetic perspective 5'7" at 124 sounds pretty good to me!

lol.. may sound good, but it looks skinny.. lol. I do agree I need more muscle tone, but the weight part will not happen. I was told that muscle weighs more than fat once, and my logical little brain thought.. ah.. "so, a pound of muscle weights how much more than a pound of fat?" .lol.. Thanks for your input..

I am da oldest out of 4 kids, and da 'thinest", but since I've quit smokin' I've gained 25 #.

But I'm a type one dieabetic and fin' der be some sawbones in da saloon, dey can tell ya bout how bad it can be .

And I know ya wont git tested, so I'm through tellin' dat.

So, do not follow dos folks, wifout seein' a sawbones. 10#, at yur height and weight wood be alot to carry round. :blush:

I am healthy, that I promise you.. crazy, and a sap.. and pure stupid about stuff sometimes.. but healthy.. lol. I believe in people, and I think they all are nice and honest and good until the day they steal my shoes.. lol.. And, for that I am told I am stupid for believing in people. I also don't like to hurt people, or argue, so Hey I will be wrong everytime if that is what it takes to keep the peace.. lol.. Too much happy my daddy says.. lol. He picks a me cuz he says I fall for every loser in town. Today I was reminded of that about 5 times, and told you are not getting younger, you need to be more careful, stop hanging out with the wrong people, you are silly child.. lol.. Daddy will always be just that ... the man that can break my heart, and make me smile in one breath... He loves me and I love him.. but I wear on his patience... a great deal.. too much this year I fear...

Deja, when I was in da Army, dey put my on da "Skinny Man's Program!"

Heard of da "Fat Mans Program", But not da "Skinny Man's Program."

Had me eattin' everything dat wood put #'s on me, powdered stuff to sprinkle on my food and coffee.

And hit da gym. I got really cut. Good muscle diffanation, and strong as an oxen,

But not one more pound !! :blush:

Deja, when I was in da Army, dey put my on da "Skinny Man's Program!"

Heard of da "Fat Mans Program", But not da "Skinny Man's Program."

Had me eattin' everything dat wood put #'s on me, powdered stuff to sprinkle on my food and coffee.

And hit da gym. I got really cut. Good muscle diffanation, and strong as an oxen,

But not one more pound !! :blush:

lol... yeah.. I stopped eating meat as a child. I use to halter train my dad's cattle cuz I was in love with 4H. lol.. Anyhow one day I heard him comment about how well the young stock was about loading in the slaughter trailer (white face herfords) since I was training them.. took me about 6 months to eat beef again. lol.. I was always a skinny kid never stood still for much... They had a thing called "weight on" at one time and my step mom tried to feed it to me.. lol.. I tossed my cookies.. lol not sure why but it was awful.. Cuz I am long and lean I do not get great muscle def. like you shorter muscled people do... ahhh it is a curse, but a blessing cuz I can walk like the wind.. lol

Or wood dat be ,"Walk through a rainstorm and not git wet?" thingy ? :blush:

loll now that would be nice.. But you need minne-wakan for that lol... Whiskey..

loll now that would be nice.. But you need minne-wakan for that lol... Whiskey..

Dats Right !!!! :blush:

Been aquesed(?) of alot of things.....

but been smart or good lookin' aint among'em !! :angry:

Dats Right !!!! :blush:

Been aquesed(?) of alot of things.....

but been smart or good lookin' aint among'em !! :angry:

lol.. you know Apahces.. good looks is not a indians strong suit.. lol.. our sense of humor is and our ability to land on our feet and move on.. is ..

lol.. you know Apahces.. good looks is not a indians strong suit.. lol.. our sense of humor is and our ability to land on our feet and move on.. is ..

WHAT ?? :blink:

IT AINT ? :blush:

Lets see ifin it's true.....

I look good (in da eyes of da beer holder)

I smell good (compaired to a sweaty hoss)

And I am good.....sometimes (ifin ya dont count dat time I told someone whar to go.....Or da time when I punch out a guy who grabbed my dates butt ater I told him to........ or da time when I cut a city slickers rein cuz he was makin me mad........ :angry:

WHAT ?? :blink:

IT AINT ? :blush:

Lets see ifin it's true.....

I look good (in da eyes of da beer holder)

I smell good (compaired to a sweaty hoss)

And I am good.....sometimes (ifin ya dont count dat time I told someone whar to go.....Or da time when I punch out a guy who grabbed my dates butt ater I told him to........ or da time when I cut a city slickers rein cuz he was makin me mad........ :angry:

Hmm I have been a very peaceful kinda person. i hate to fight, and like I said I will say I am wrong in a heartbeat..

If your somatotype is ectomorphic, which, from what you have said, is probably the case, you can lift to your heart's content but will not necessarily "bulk up." You'll become stronger, but the ectomorphic-type muscle (elongated) isn't the type that makes you look like Sylvester Stallone. An elongated muscle is actually more efficient, but isn't the "fashion trend" currently.

As was mentioned earlier, I would talk to your own personal physician before I listened to some guy who claims to be an "exercise physiologist." (I used to teach some of those guys in college and some of them, bless their hearts, don't have the sense the good Lord gave a goose.) Your doctor will tell you if you really have to gain ten pounds or not. Also, where did the "exercise physiologist" come up with "ten pounds" without doing a body fat composition test on you? I mean, he didn't even use calipers, did he? Why ten pounds?...why not eight or eleven or nine-and-a-half?

From what you said, it sounds to me like this so-called expert was just "blowing smoke." Probably trying to impress you and his girlfriend.

If your somatotype is ectomorphic, which, from what you have said, is probably the case, you can lift to your heart's content but will not necessarily "bulk up." You'll become stronger, but the ectomorphic-type muscle (elongated) isn't the type that makes you look like Sylvester Stallone. An elongated muscle is actually more efficient, but isn't the "fashion trend" currently.

As was mentioned earlier, I would talk to your own personal physician before I listened to some guy who claims to be an "exercise physiologist." (I used to teach some of those guys in college and some of them, bless their hearts, don't have the sense the good Lord gave a goose.) Your doctor will tell you if you really have to gain ten pounds or not. Also, where did the "exercise physiologist" come up with "ten pounds" without doing a body fat composition test on you? I mean, he didn't even use calipers, did he? Why ten pounds?...why not eight or eleven or nine-and-a-half?

From what you said, it sounds to me like this so-called expert was just "blowing smoke." Probably trying to impress you and his girlfriend.

He did use calipers the little pincher things are calipers, right? And he had charts, and he did weigh me. So the BMI came from the calipers and the scales and chart and age group factored in the weight. I feel fine where I am, but I guess anyone past 40 can afford to build muscle mass back up. The 10 pounds, I doubt my self, I never weighed but a couple pounds more than I do now so I doubt that I could gain it anyhow.

Thanks for everyones advice, I think I will go for walks and workout to keep healthy, but I am passing on the 10 pounds. I feel pretty good right where I am.

Deja, I have a perfect way for you to put on that pesky 10lb that's been troublin' you. Strap on a pair of long-barred Colt's single actions, or clones, or Remmies, fill up that cartridge belt, strap on a full shot-shell belt and start shooting!!! Of course, as you expend ammo you'll lose a little weight (say 250 gr. at a time), but fill up the ammo belt again and you'll be back where you want to be. It's foolproof!!!

Muscle mass, 10 pounds distributed over 5’7” will not in all likelihood increase your clothing sizes. In all likelihood 10 pounds of lean weight will not contribute nor will it detract from your general health. The BMI is, as already stated, a rather arbitrary standard which already leans to the skinny side of the street. People that are on the high side of the BMI tend to combat serious illness more successfully than those on the low side. If all your vital signs and blood work are already in the normal range I wouldn’t worry about it. However if you did add 10 pounds to your frame muscle would be much better than fat. What exercise and weight training could accomplish if done properly is make you faster. Improving your muscle tone and performance is going to make you a better competitor, faster and with more stamina. You can with exercise improve that way signals are passed within your nervous system and increase the speed of your muscle contractions. Exercise can also help control the effects of arthritis improve your balance keep your bone density within normal bounds and generally add to your well being. All in all not a bad idea regardless of other considerations.

Hmm I have been a very peaceful kinda person. i hate to fight, and like I said I will say I am wrong in a heartbeat..

Nope....not me !!

Tryed dat one fore, but it don't work !! ;)

I will fight/argue to da death, IFIN' I'm rat....

Be willin' to compromise ifin' I'm wrong...

But make no mistake.....I will stand tall.. hold my oun ground fer ya and den will not cross da road wif ya, even ifin' ya ask me to!! ;)

Well gosh I have lost a little myself, if I would have know I would have shared it with you!

Megs, you didn't need to lose a thing.. Geesh what are you doing skinny gal.. loll

Archived