SASS Wire Forum

Bad Habit

Noz

I can shoot my 1860s into a couple of inches at 15 yards, two handed. When I shoot duelist at the same range on paper I can do nearly the same with a bit of loosening of the group.

But when I go to "speed" (for me) on CAS steel, every thing goes low and left.

What am I doing?

I assume you're right-handed?

Wouldn't low-and-left would be indicative of "pulling the trigger"? Another possibility is too tight of a grip? When I started duelist, I couldn't hit crap - but I was all over the place. I slowed waaaaay down and slowly brought it up to "speed" (for me!). Muscle memory is real.

Good luck in Duelist!

ol' poke.

Noz..

When I try to go speed.. everything has to be ingrained to do it right...

Usually I forget to squeeze the pistol grips like Jackson Rose mentioned.. not a death grip mind ya..

and I tend to pull the trigger with the joint of my trigger finger instead of the pad of my finger.. you know.. stick yer finger thru too far.. :huh:

that throws off side to side shots for me...

Again... wish I could practice more...

These things have to be so instilled into your brain (yeah.. I believe in muscle memory) so that you don't have to think about it.. ya just do it..

Rance :unsure:

Thinkin' I can screw up any stage <_<

Oh yeah.. I don't shoot duelist so this may not help...

If you have more than a couple pounds trigger pull, the effort to break the shot rapidly causes you to jerk the trigger, pulling the barrel low and left. Solution, thousands of rounds of practice or a lighter trigger pull should help.

Here's a link to a similar set of analysis targets ...

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-ra...dtalk-logo.html

Besides the usual physical factors of grip & trigger control, I'd say you're just getting keyed up and trying too hard. I do the same thing sometimes - try to go too fast and it looks like I forgot what I came to the shoot to do.

Its the weather and too much time to think about all the speed you will build up this winter waiting for warmer weather. Fiddler would say you are milking the trigger when you shoot a steel . Sliding the trigger finger into the pistal farther than when you shoot at paper. it is a habit some of us have to work to reduce the misses. the paper dots and dry fire help some and a old trick of loading some empty spaces in a cylindar when practicing. Merry X-Mas and New Year to you and Family. Moonshine Dan

When ya grab the gun in match conditions, yer getting too deep in the gun, yer trigger finger too deep in the trigger, and yer yanking. Yer proper grip ought to put ONLY the pad of the finger on the trigger, the back of the hand should be bent at a 45, and the bones of the forearm in line with the barrel. THEN yer gonna press straight back.

When ya grab the gun in match conditions, yer getting too deep in the gun, yer trigger finger too deep in the trigger, and yer yanking. Yer proper grip ought to put ONLY the pad of the finger on the trigger, the back of the hand should be bent at a 45, and the bones of the forearm in line with the barrel. THEN yer gonna press straight back.

See there. :) . that's what I was tryin' ta say :FlagAm:

thanks AJ

Rance :FlagAm:

Thinkin' he's got a great way with words..

also thinkin' cabin fever has hit already..

Howdy

Yup, if you are a righty, the classic symptom of too much finger on the trigger is pushing the shots to the left. Particularly when shooting duelist style.

Be sure you are pulling the trigger with just the pad of the finger. Do not place the trigger in the crease behind the first knuckle. It feels more natural, but it is the main cause of pushing the shots to the left.

P.S. I have a tendency to do the same thing. Two years ago Piney Woods noticed most of my misses were to the left of the targets. He suggested I aim my pistols at the right half of the target. Genius!!!! Ever since, I have had a lot less misses with my pistols.

No worries, J-Bar. Fungus Sam noticed that every pistol shot at Cassville at the Dec shoot was on the left edge of the target with the pistol misses all going left. Thought this would be a good time to worry about it.

I'm too busy trying to get the "in the white" gun blued to practice.

Archived