SASS Wire Forum

What is this number?

One of the most annoying things on old guns is that when you try to look at the hidden markings under the stock, or inside of a latch or what have you, that there is all to often some pitting right in the spot where the marking is, making it hard to read.

So...   What do people thing THIS is?

RollingBlockNumber.thumb.JPG.3fb6858983b806b2e6c0427e03ca1985.JPG

The 7 is clear, but after that, I dunno.  My initial reaction after looking at it with the naked eye is that everything else was just random putting blobs.   But when I took this photo, and looked at it on my computer screen, especially without zooming out, I am convinced that it is 7 1 something.   That something might be a 5 or a 6, or a pitting blob.  So, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has any opinions.

This by the way is from my new to me .45-70 Rolling Block that I think may or may not actually be a Remington.   These are the ONLY markings anywhere on the entire gun.  (Okay, I have not looked on the bottom of the barrel yet, but the stock is stuck pretty tight to the barrel and I don't wanna damage it.)   The bore is flawless, and neither the seller nor I think it's original to the gun, but it's been on there a long time.   Wanna get the stock off to see if there are any marks or not.

What is interesting is that number may or may not be the serial number.    I am no expert, but what information I have been able to track down says that Remington did not serialize these things in the early days, as there was no requirement to do so.  They only had "lot numbers" which means several guns may have the same number.  On the other other hand, I have also read that plain receivers like this one were made by Remington, left blank, and sold to the armies of other countries.  They were left blank so the government that purchased them could put their own numbers and markings on them as they saw fit.   So this might be serial number 7 1 whatever given to it by whomever over in Europe.  Given the shape of the 1, with the top hook but no base, which is a very European wan of making numeral 1's, this is a distinct possibility.   (I will try to do more research.)

Anyway....   What do people think that number is?

The upper tang also has numbers, 713, 715, or maybe 718. There is a border visible around these upper numbers starting on the left, can not see where it ends on the right..

The 3rd digit at the top does not seem the match the one on the bottom tang.

There may be one or more markings after the first three in both markings. Looks like maybe another 7 as fourth digit on bottom marking.

Edited by John Kloehr
Otto Fail

Well I'll be a son of a gun!   I had not even seen the top numbers!

Third number on the bottom I thought might be a 5, 6 or a rust pit, but now after seeing what is clearly a 5 on the top, I think the lower is also a 5.  

As to after the 3rd number, top and bottom, they still look like pits to me.   

Wow, it's good to ask for help.  People see things you didn't.

Looks like a 4th number on top tang.  7155? 7153?  They look to be hand stamped as the spacing and height of the letters varies some.  And the bottom looks more like 716 to me.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Looks like a 4th number on top tang.  7155? 7153?  They look to be hand stamped as the spacing and height of the letters varies some.  And the bottom looks more like 716 to me.

Looking at it more....

On the top, I can see what you think might be a 5.  Don't see how it could be a three.   But I am not sure it's anything other than a pit.   It's in the wrong place the be a 4th number, and it's much fainter.

On the lower, I still can't see anything that might be a 4th number.

As it if the third is a 5 or a 6....

5or6.jpg.670bf7dcb7484b03b104bbaaacf3ff8e.jpg

I think it's a 5.

I really must thank everyone.  This has been helpful

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I would take a colored marking pen and color in ALL the area around the numbers, with the numbers included.

THEN, I could take some steel wool and lightly buff it.   This might help give you a clearer indication

of those numbers.

..........Widder

• Like 3