SASS Wire Forum

bad reporting, or sloppy editing, or both?

Alpo

This is from an article about the eclipse.

McCurtain County contains the city of Idabel, which NASA has predicted will be among the 13 best spots in the country to see the total eclipse when it occurs. The total eclipse—when the sun is completely shrouded by the moon—is due to begin at 1:45 p.m. CT (2:40 p.m. ET) there and end at 1:49 p.m.

I'm pretty damn certain that Central Time and Eastern Time are exactly 1 hour apart. Not 55 minutes. If it's 1:45 Central then it is 2:45 Eastern, and if it is 2:40 Eastern it is 1:40 Central.

Somebody needs to either be fired or sent off to remedial reporting class.

33 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This is from an article about the eclipse.

McCurtain County contains the city of Idabel, which NASA has predicted will be among the 13 best spots in the country to see the total eclipse when it occurs. The total eclipse—when the sun is completely shrouded by the moon—is due to begin at 1:45 p.m. CT (2:40 p.m. ET) there and end at 1:49 p.m.

I'm pretty damn certain that Central Time and Eastern Time are exactly 1 hour apart. Not 55 minutes. If it's 1:45 Central then it is 2:45 Eastern, and if it is 2:40 Eastern it is 1:40 Central.

Somebody needs to either be fired or sent off to remedial reporting class.

Maybe they just need to be taught how an analog clock works. It seems to me that many young people can only read a digital clock display.

I know I had to teach my Grandchildren how to read an analog clock and what half past, quarter til, 5 of, etc. mean. This was when they were just beginning to learn to tell time at public school. They are teenagers now. They can read analog clocks, understand and speak 24 hour time nomenclature, even from a 12 hour clock face.

I was surprised to find that their school had digital display clocks in the classroom. I thought at the time the school system was too underfunded to replace all the analog clocks in each classroom. It just seemed logical to keep the analog clocks so that the children could be multi clock lingual.

But what do I know about modern things. I still have a Windows 7 Computer I use for word processing, even though it cannot be updated or see the internet without a cable.

CJ

Edited by Cactus Jack Calder
  • Like 1

I have large  analog wall clock in my office/kitchen area...ALL my grand kids are learning to read it...I remember my sister was out walking one morning...About high school age kid ask for time...She said a quarter after the hour...He was some what lost in understanding what she said...Then she said actual time to him...He was happy then...

Texas Lizard

• Like 1

Digital or analog is irrelevant. The difference between Central Time and Eastern Time is 1 hour. Whether you're looking at a digital clock or whether you're looking at a clock with hands, the difference is 1 hour. Not 55 minutes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Digital or analog is irrelevant. The difference between Central Time and Eastern Time is 1 hour. Whether you're looking at a digital clock or whether you're looking at a clock with hands, the difference is 1 hour. Not 55 minutes.

True, but it seems to me a young person would be able to see the difference on an analog clock, where all they would see on a digital would be the current reading. If the person is not educated enough to know it is one hour difference the digital clock shows no relationship to alternate times zones. An analog clock gives them the opportunity to view the alternate time zone reading. I’m not saying they would understand it, just that it might be easier to visualize. 

It is true that education seems to be lacking in this instance. I’m just having fun busting the younger generations. :D

CJ

Aw cummon.  Didja ever think that depending of the angle of inclination and the relative orbital relationships, the actual time of the total eclipse will vary.  The time differential may well be quite accurate, not withstanding the number of astrophysicist astronomers we have present in the room.  :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

The total eclipse—when the sun is completely shrouded by the moon—is due to begin at 1:45 p.m. CT (2:40 p.m. ET) there

Since the quote is about the time of totality it could be that the reporter just picked on ET time of totality. 

"

• Dallas, Texas: 12:23 p.m. (Central) to 3:02 p.m.
  • Idabel, Oklahoma: 12:28 p.m. to 3:06 p.m.
  • Little Rock, Arkansas: 12:33 p.m. to 3:11 p.m.
  • Poplar Bluff, Missouri: 12:39 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
  • Carbondale, Illinois: 12:42 p.m. to 3:18 p.m.
  • Paducah, Kentucky: 12:42 p.m. to 3:18 p.m.
  • Evansville, Indiana: 12:45 p.m. to 3:20 p.m.
  • Cleveland, Ohio: 1:59 p.m. (Eastern) to 4:29 p.m.
  • Erie, Pennsylvania: 2:02 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Buffalo, New York: 2:04 p.m. to 4:32