SASS Wire Forum

Sky Pilot

I always heard the term referring to military chaplains. But I was watching an episode of Death Valley Days and a guy called the new reverend in Carson City a Sky Pilot. I wondered why they would use a modern term like that. 
But a little research revealed the first use was around 1865 and again in 1883 and refers of the a pilot in the nautical guide sense. Guiding souls to heaven.

Ya larn something new every day. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yup.  Samuel Clemens was a steamboat pilot in his earlier days.

I actually made that connection when I first heard the Eric Burdon song.  But I've always tended to have a strange thought process, according to some who've known me for a while.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not an earthly "pilot," but in Crossing the Bar, Tennyson wrote "I hope to see my pilot face to face / when I have crost the bar" back in 1889.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I always heard the term referring to military chaplains. But I was watching an episode of Death Valley Days and a guy called the new reverend in Carson City a Sky Pilot. I wondered why they would use a modern term like that. 
But a little research revealed the first use was around 1865 and again in 1883 and refers of the a pilot in the nautical guide sense. Guiding souls to heaven.

Ya larn something new every day. 

Crossing over the river to Jordan........makes sense.

• Like 1