Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1888 Reproduction?


Recommended Posts

Not too long ago, I found a Marlin 1888, the old top eject model, in .32-20 for a very reasonable price, so I acquired it.   I have to say, I really like it.   I've never really been interested in the Marlin in general because of the side eject, and I shoot left handed, but I knew of this rarity, and always wondered about getting one if I could.  Well, I did, and I did.  :)  I've not fired it yet, but I will soon.  The action is remarkably soon, and I don't think it's just because it's really old.

But letting all that go, would a replica of this model be a viable product?  I know that in some ways, it would be a niche within a niche for interest, but I suppose anything is possible.   Uberti did come out with a top eject 94 after all.   And there was limited run of Burgess reproductions.  I think there might be enough interest, but does anyone else?

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It'd be an interesting added rifle for the Classic crowd!  (If 38WCF OR 44WCF).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

They are fine Rifles.

I would like to see a Model 1881 Marlin Repro.

I think it would be well received.

 

I want one of those in .45-70 to "pair" with the 88.   

That does bring up a good question.   Which would be of "more" interest?   The pistol caliber, or the rifle caliber rifle?  And would they give it traditional rifling?  (If Marlin themselves, or whoever Marlin is these days, were to do it)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Griff said:

It'd be an interesting added rifle for the Classic crowd!  (If 38WCF OR 44WCF).

28 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

.32WCF isn't good for Classic?   I did not know that.   Guess it makes sense.

 

Quote

Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl Category 
...
- Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).
- Revolver and Rifle Calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. 

SHB p.7

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

 

SHB p.7

"...- Revolver and Rifle Calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. "

 

I only just thought of this, but if Uberti had ever put their 1860 Thuer conversion into production, then SASS would need to make an exception since those cartridges have no rim, just on the unlikely possibility someone wanted to shoot them in Classic. :)

 

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yep, makes sense.  :)   I'll freely admit to not knowing the ins and outs of the category

Me too, still wish I could wear moccasins with my buckskins!   Guess I was just thinking there was an 1890 cutoff... :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Not too long ago, I found a Marlin 1888, the old top eject model, in .32-20 for a very reasonable price, so I acquired it.   I have to say, I really like it.   I've never really been interested in the Marlin in general because of the side eject, and I shoot left handed, but I knew of this rarity, and always wondered about getting one if I could.  Well, I did, and I did.  :)  I've not fired it yet, but I will soon.  The action is remarkably soon, and I don't think it's just because it's really old.

But letting all that go, would a replica of this model be a viable product?  I know that in some ways, it would be a niche within a niche for interest, but I suppose anything is possible.   Uberti did come out with a top eject 94 after all.   And there was limited run of Burgess reproductions.  I think there might be enough interest, but does anyone else?

  I would buy one

 

TJB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.