SASS Wire Forum

Moly and Real Black

Rusty Cuff

YES!!  Molycoat by itself does nothing except to contribute to fouling.  It is NOT an acceptable BP lubricant.  One must still have an appreciable amount of BP compatible lube or yule play hell scrubbing out the bore.  NOT recommended.

• Like 2

I used a Lyman moly-content, smokeless lube made about 2000 one time with a BP .45-70 loading.  Never again.  The very hard fouling took a lot of scrubbing to remove.   I have never seen a moly-content BP lube.  

If you need a guarantee of success use a conventional BP lube.  GJ

• Like 1

I use moly coated 535 gr. Bullets for my Sharps 45-70 but I do pan lube them with SPG lube. My Sharps has a 34” barrel and after maybe 800 rounds down the tube I have had no issues with unusual fowling or leading,I use Swiss 1.5 F. black powder and they shoot very accurately . 3 wet patches of windex with vinegar (thanks OLG) a dry patch and the barrel shines like a new one!

• Like 2

OLG those are the bullets I'm looking at. I mainly shoot APP, but I have some BP I was wanting to use up. I guess I'll give her a try and see what happens. I might put a wonder wad in to help things out. 

Thanks Guys, Rusty

Edited by Rusty Cuff
  • Like 2

Oh, well that's a different horse than the OP rode in on.

Let's check what moly CAN do.  It is a fine molybdenium sulfide powder that has natural lubricating capability.   It does work well om smokeless powder loads to prevent lead alloy "leading" in the barrel with cast bullets, and prevent copper fouling with jacketed bullets.

Is lead fouling what is in the barrel when shooting Black Powder?  Nope.  That fouling is the residue from the black powder combustion/explosion in the barrel.  The charcoal, sulfur, potassium nitrate mixture only gets to a partially completed state, leaving leftover lube, unburnt carbon, sulfur, carbonates, nitrates and sulfates in the barrel.  The combustion has a high temperature, so very little lead is left in the barrel, just the (mostly) water soluble fouling.   Black Powder lube works to keep that inorganic salts mixture (fouling) soft enough that the 10 or 20% of the powder charge which makes up the fouling does not clog up the barrel for the next shot, or accuracy suffers.  

So, moly really can do nothing to help with BP shooting.  It doesn't need to be there to prevent lead deposits - a good BP load never leaves lead in the barrel.   It does not soften the inorganic salts in the barrel.  So, either the moly has no contribution in BP loads, or it just adds a non-water-soluble component to fouling, making  things harder to clean up.   AFAIK.

So, bottom line - the moly coating on a bullet used with real black powder is "wasted" and costs the shooter a little more for the slugs.

good luck,  GJ 

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Horsefeathers.  If your shooting Black Powder without a goodly amount of compatible lube your in trouble.  If anyone claims they shoot with Black Powder and Moly Coated bullets with NO problems they be shining you on, unless they also include a gob of proper BP lube which they ain't mentioning.

Oh, and:

PLUS ONE for Garrison Joe.  Pay attention folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Some shooters use a boresnake after every stage and other maintenance.  If you want to shoot 5 or 6 stages without cleaning after each stage bullets without bp lube probably aren't going to work.

Much depends on what you lube the gun with.

I sloppy lube with Bore Butter.

I will mop the chambers on my SG, to ease extraction with my brass shells.