SASS Wire Forum

The road less traveled?

Had to do a road that started out like the first picture, then after an hour in, turned into the second for another hour but much less distance covered to recover an 836# moose!

• Like 1

65 years ago or so , as a kid we lived in what was then a remote area - sorta , it was outa town a bit , high bank of the river , above two sets of RR tracks , the clay in the area was a real Btch when it rained and when the frost went out in the spring , there was a month or so of real hell , so there were times we all had to walk from where the cars had to stop to get to the house , the rutts were deep enough my little sister could get lost , and did a couple times , 

not so bad as those that lived in the flood plain on the other side of the river that boated across to our dock then climbed the 100 feet to our level crossing both sets of RR tracks , then had to walk that half mile or so to their car tho .............

on the other side of the coin tho , more recently , like 25 years ago or so , my wife and i took a trip to idaho and actually sought out an area half way between that dirt road and that rock waterway with her motor home - i have a bunch of the rocks in my garage she has plans for that has never manifested itself , remote areas never bothered us much - we have driven roads like that till we hit water then canoed into remote areas of the boundary waters , we took our kids when they were very small camping into voyagers national park by boat and canoe , camping with bears ....thats what my daughter remembers , not that its a bad one , 

she took a month long canoe hike into Canadas wilderness with a bunch of high school friends with a local event called voyagers - came back a different person in some ways but a better one to be sure - more kids should get to do this i think , 

so as to that road less traveled - ive lived my life up the west side [mostly] of the mississippi , and ive lived south to texas and north to here ,i once moved 9 times in under 7 years , for years i was traveling for work all over the country , i dont miss it anymore , ive been rooted here for 33 years now and im thinking on pulling them up , i never had trouble doing that before , this time its a bit harder , 

i feel like i took that less traveled road a lot when looking back ,