SASS Wire Forum

A little about Australia in WW II

main-qimg-a7b828539db9cf5e40a49abda993a4ab

On the 23rd of January 1942, Australia sends an urgent request for assistance from the Allies after a series of conquests in the Southwest Pacific brings the Japanese within a thousand miles of Australian territory.

main-qimg-53a8e77e97da71de661d1d41ce006979

Announcing Australia's commitment to the war on 3 September 1939, Prime Minister Robert Gordon Menzies spoke the following, famous words that were broadcast on every national and commercial radio station in the country:

"Fellow Australians, it is my melancholy duty to inform you officially, that in consequence of a persistence by Germany in her invasion of Poland, Great Britain has declared war upon her and that, as a result, Australia is also at war. No harder task can fall to the lot of a democratic leader than to make such an announcement."

main-qimg-f66e7916e4e21c373d411ecfd818fac8

As part of the British Empire, Australia was among the first nations to declare war on Nazi Germany and between 1939 and 1945 nearly one million Australian men and women served in what was going to be the Second World War. They fought in campaigns against the Axis powers across Europe, the Mediterranean and North Africa. In 1941, The Japanese Imperial Navy attacked Pearl Harbour and advanced into South East Asia. As a result, the Allied powers including Australia were at war with Japan as well.

main-qimg-1f3b3e1d2bd77468d403af8e3bfc7728

During this period, the Australian mainland came under direct enemy attack for the first time in history, with Japanese bombing attacks on Northern Australia and an attack on Sydney Harbour by Japanese midget submarines. At the time of German defeat and Japanese surrender, 39,000 Australians had lost their lives and another 30,000 had been taken prisoner.

main-qimg-f3813bc50bc92fb40984b7844a652cb2

The largest single attack ever mounted on Australia occurred on 19 February 1942, when Darwin was bombed by Japan. Often called ‘Australia’s Pearl Harbor’, the bombing of the Northern Territory capital by Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft killed more than 230 people and destroyed ships, buildings and infrastructure. Japanese air raids continued until 12 November 1943

main-qimg-c1abc6c9b59bb9ec12799546d3d60f89

On February 19, 1942, the Japanese, led by Vice Admiral Nobutake Kondo, attacked Darwin, Australia, in the largest attack by a foreign power on the country to render it indefensible and to stop the flow of Allied shipping and traffic. Aircraft from the Japanese carriers Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Soryu bombed shipping, airfields and shore installations. Among the vessels sunk were: USS Peary (DD-226), U.S. Army transport Miegs, and U.S. freighter Mauna Loa. USS William B. Preston (AVD-7) was damaged along with several Australian and British vessels.

main-qimg-812a187e01ca2a26bfb73328dafb85fe

USS Houston (CA-30) refueled and departed Tjilatip, Java, the day prior. Of note, all four Japanese carriers would later be sunk at the Battle of Midway, June 4-7, 1942. Following the raid, Darwin was temporarily abandoned. This attack also influenced Rear Admiral William A. Glassford to move tenders and auxilaries to Exmouth Gulf, North Western, Australia.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My Father was in the 2/7th Independent Company (Later 2/7th Commando Squadron) and they day of his 21st birthday was spent fighting the Japs in heavy action -

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/U56152

https://www.commando.org.au/ww2-caommando-units/2%2F7th-commando-company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2/7th_Commando_Squadron_(Australia)

Our family business was a tannery that had run for 100 years, even though it was mostly relatives working in the tannery and they were all designated a 'Protected Industry' and as such protected workers because of the great need for leather for the war effort.....to a T every single man of military age signed up and fought in the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific and many gave their lives. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

this was very enlightening , i appreciate the post , i knew the japanese attacked on numerous fronts , now i know a little more of the story , my father enlisted shortly after pearl harbor with a high school friend he had been working with in an aircraft plant on the west coast - later flew with a crew on B-29s off saipan , bombed the japanese homeland .........later , after the war , i had a honorary japanese aunt , i maried a gal that was raised in japan , US NAVY brat , funny how things sort themselves out over the years , 

oh , my wife was born at pearl harbor about the time hawaii became a state 

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

My Father was in the 2/7th Independent Company (Later 2/7th Commando Squadron) and they day of his 21st birthday was spent fighting the Japs in heavy action -

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/U56152

https://www.commando.org.au/ww2-caommando-units/2%2F7th-commando-company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2/7th_Commando_Squadron_(Australia)

Our family business was a tannery that had run for 100 years, even though it was mostly relatives working in the tannery and they were all designated a 'Protected Industry' and as such protected workers because of the great need for leather for the war effort.....to a T every single man of military age signed up and fought in the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific and many gave their lives. 

If you don't already have it: Jungle Cavalry: Australian Independent Companies and Commandos 1941-1945 by Gregory Blake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chantry said:

If you don't already have it: Jungle Cavalry: Australian Independent Companies and Commandos 1941-1945 by Gregory Blake

Yes I have that book Chantry, he's written a lot of great books.