SASS Wire Forum

38 short Colt question

Fallon Kid

Just a question about using 38 short Colt for SASS shooting. I have looked through the hand book and although not mentioned it is not prohibited as I read it. Not trying to start a debate, just a question.

I recently bought a S&W 627 Pro and a lot of ICOR shooters use 38 SC.  I don’t do ICOR but maybe trying it during the off Cowboy weekends. My heart is SASS but my trigger finger does not  mind. Thought it would be fun to use this in cowboy pistols. It is not gamer bullets as I have loaded to a 120 power factor. Also I have a hard time hitting the East side of a barn in a timely fashion.

Fallon Kid says:

Thanks for the info I appreciate. I kinda suspected folks used 38SC for SASS but not sure. I like to do new things and learn as I do. I enjoy the spirit of Cowboy shooting and being around such good people. And somebody has to buy them belt buckles for the real shooters. I consider it a privilege.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rillito Red said:

If you shoot 38 SC in a 38 spl you will build up a ridge of crud in the chamber that will stop 38 spl’s from going all the way in.

Otherwise a good SASS round. 

It's the same as SASS shooters shooting 38 special in 357 magnum chambered guns. Not a big deal.  ICORE shooters shoot 150+ rounds through 1 revolver at a match without issues. 38 SC and 9mm are popular. Some use regular 38 specials 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fallon Kid said:

I recently bought a S&W 627 Pro and a lot of ICOR shooters use 38 SC.  I don’t do ICOR but maybe trying it during the off Cowboy weekends.

Use to shoot a lot of revolver in USPSA, pretty much a dead category now but still fun to play with the revolvers once in awhile.

160 gn round nose over 3 grains of clays or clay dot with give you a soft shooting load that will be close to power factor. Might have to adjust a little depending on your gun. Same brand brass and moons that fit that brass will make reloads much easier. 

And to you original question, yes you can use for cowboy but I don’t think there’s a lot of advantage over 38 special. 
LF. 

• Thanks 1