SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero Bisley Octagon Barrel Length

Choctaw Kid Tulsa

I’m considering changing out the barrel on a NMV Bisley 45Colt from the  stock 5 1/2 round to 7 1/2 octagon, but I haven’t seen on the wire where this has been done. 

i’ve seen a few pistols with the octagon barrel at 5” or shorter but haven’t seen longer barrels in octagon. Other than cost, any other considerations I should be made aware of? I think the 1851 pistol is a real beauty and that’s my inspiration for the Ruger, but on a Bisley frame. 

Maybe for Rugers 7.5 only makes sense in the lighter round barrel?

if anyone has had this done, I’d much appreciate a picture and any insights.

Thanks,

Choctaw Kid

I had Snake Oil George install 5.5" octagon barrels on one set of my 44 Magnum Bisley Rugers. They look fantastic, and maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't feel as big a difference as others going from round to octagon at the same barrel length. Most others I know that have gone to the octagon shoot 38s so maybe there's a more pronounced difference in the feel on those smaller caliber guns. The actual weight difference between my two sets of Bisley 44s only puts the octagon pair at 2oz heavier for each gun. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the barrels. But I had that done because that pair had different barrel lengths and I wanted them to be the same. I don't have any plans to convert my other pair which already have matching length factory barrels. 

Obviously that doesn't address the 7.5" barrel part of your question but thought I'd share my experience. I would say that if I were in the market to have another set of octagon barrels put on I personally wouldn't hesitate to go with an even longer barrel. 

4 minutes ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

I had Snake Oil George install 5.5" octagon barrels on one set of my 44 Magnum Bisley Rugers.

Pics!!!!!

Pretty please?

I've been thinking 3.75" octobarrels on a Bisley 44 Special would be funner yet.

2 hours ago, Choctaw Kid Tulsa said:

I’m considering changing out the barrel on a NMV Bisley 45Colt from the  stock 5 1/2 round to 7 1/2 octagon, but I haven’t seen on the wire where this has been done. 

i’ve seen a few pistols with the octagon barrel at 5” or shorter but haven’t seen longer barrels in octagon. Other than cost, any other considerations I should be made aware of? I think the 1851 pistol is a real beauty and that’s my inspiration for the Ruger, but on a Bisley frame. 

Maybe for Rugers 7.5 only makes sense in the lighter round barrel?

if anyone has had this done, I’d much appreciate a picture and any insights.

Thanks,

Choctaw Kid

Yeah, weight is the consideration that first popped into my mind.  I'd say adding both length and girth to those barrels is gonna change the balance a LOT. 

Probably have to ask a few ladies how much of a difference it makes. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

Listen I’m no photographer but here you go

IMG_3050.jpeg

Very nice. Love those grips! Issat a Ronnie Wells grip frame?

Here’s a pair with 5 1/2” barrels. I have fewer pistol misses now and I attribute that to the heavier barrels.

IMG_4418.jpeg

57 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just beautiful! 

Who scratched'em all up?

Not sure who engraved them.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Very nice. Love those grips! Issat a Ronnie Wells grip frame?

Sure are. I wanted these converted to Bisleys during a time I couldn’t find Ruger frames. Plus they just look cool! I need to do some final fitting and finishing but they’re perfectly functional as-is. 

12 hours ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

Sure are. I wanted these converted to Bisleys during a time I couldn’t find Ruger frames. Plus they just look cool! I need to do some final fitting and finishing but they’re perfectly functional as-is. 

Which model/version of Ronnie's Bisley grip frames did you use?

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Which model/version of Ronnie's Bisley grip frames did you use?

It’s his standard New Model Bisley frame. I talked to him on the phone about the various models he offers and decided for these I wanted the standard frame for the easier grip options. I fully intend to buy additional frames from him in future but probably not for competition guns. 

Archived