SASS Wire Forum

watchin a western ive never seen - dean martin

watab kid

seems to be the main character , FIVE CARD STUD ,  i rather like it , its not any better than a JW movie of the time but no worse , very much the same but there is a dark element to this one i like a lot , some great lines too , 

• Like 3

I wonder if Robert Mitchum suggested that little bit of business.

Five Card Stud was made in 68. And Mitchum was a preacher who carried a pistol in a cut out spot in his Bible.

The Wrath of God was 1972. And Mitchum was a Catholic priest who carried a pistol in a cut out spot in his Bible.

I wondered, when I saw Five Card Stud, if he had suggested that based on The Wrath of God. (I saw  Wrath of God when it came out. Saw Stud many years later on TV. )Then I found out that Stud was released before Wrath, but I still wonder if "the cleric with a gun in his Bible" was his suggestion.

Guess I'll never know though.

i have no idea , but it sounds like hollywood rehashing a great story line over and over - not like they havnt done it before , mitchem didnt show up till after i posted , im still likening the movie , 

came back - just got to the deringer in the bible , 

i like dean martin - always did , this was a very good performance for him in my book , 

Edited by watab kid

9 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i have no idea , but it sounds like hollywood rehashing a great story line over and over - not like they havnt done it before.....

If story lines weren't repeated, with variations, there'd not be many movies. Westerns, especially.....

Think this: Stranger with an unknown background comes to town. The town is dominated by a land/cattle baron. He's sqeezing out the last of the smallholders.

The land baron is a widower. His son is weak and no account. But the ranch foreman is strong. But he's not blood...

The stranger falls for the schoolmarm, or the storekeeper's daughter. He'd like to move on, but now can't, because of her, and because he needs to confront the unjustice in the town. Turns out he's a gunfighter, wanting to leave the past behind. But now he has to stay.

The rest of the townsmen are afraid. But a few take heart from the brave stranger.

You can write the rest....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, watab kid said:

mitchem didnt show up till after i posted , im still likening the movie , 

came back - just got to the deringer in the bible , 

Sorry. I wouldn't have thrown out the spoiler, but I thought you had already finished the movie and were commenting on it. Did not realize you were still watching it.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sorry. I wouldn't have thrown out the spoiler, but I thought you had already finished the movie and were commenting on it. Did not realize you were still watching it.

no worries , i just watch as entertainment and don't get that invested normally - if it was a series id not seen maybe , but probably not too big a deal , 

16 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

If story lines weren't repeated, with variations, there'd not be many movies. Westerns, especially.....

Think this: Stranger with an unknown background comes to town. The town is dominated by a land/cattle baron. He's sqeezing out the last of the smallholders.

The land baron is a widower. His son is weak and no account. But the ranch foreman is strong. But he's not blood...

The stranger falls for the schoolmarm, or the storekeeper's daughter. He'd like to move on, but now can't, because of her, and because he needs to confront the unjustice in the town. Turns out he's a gunfighter, wanting to leave the past behind. But now he has to stay.

The rest of the townsmen are afraid. But a few take heart from the brave stranger.

You can write the rest....

yup - seems to me i recall a couple stranger coming to town movies - 

there was one i recall where the dead sheriff comes back o settle is death with those that killed him with whips , and then there was that clint eastwood one i liked where something similar happened , i know they replay , i get that , even hallmark replays their story lines for their christmas movies , its OK , its a good story line after all , 

its just when hallmark started remaking them casting gay folks and such that my wife and i started having issue , its supposed to be "family" friendly - leave my grandkids out of the political crap , they dont need to see it and they are already getting it in school cause our teachers unions are stuffing it down their throats , "TEACHERS < LEAVE OUR KIDS ALONE" to quote a distant song 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2023 at 11:40 PM, watab kid said:

seems to be the main character , FIVE CARD STUD ,  i rather like it , its not any better than a JW movie of the time but no worse , very much the same but there is a dark element to this one i like a lot , some great lines too , 

Just watched it. Pretty good movie. Turns out Dean Martin did a number of westerns.

Didya notice though, several times both Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum's character's guns went from SAAs to some early (Smith, Colt?) DA swing out cylinder revolvers and back to SAAs? Maybe a 1917 model, maybe a 2nd model Hand Ejector or something similar? No, not Colt DA Thunderers as it was plain as day the cylinders swung out for loading/unloading. Just a tad off date. :o

Colt New Service. They did that when they had to shoot quickly, because they could not work their thumb that fast.

Sergeants 3, which is the Rat Pack doing a remake of Cary Grant's Gunga Din, but set in the American West and Ghost Dancers instead of thuggees.

Not only were these Cavalrymen all carrying lever action Winchesters, but they all had Colt New Services, so they can quickly shoot the attacking Indians.

The only one of the bunch that was really good with a single action was Sammy Davis, and he didn't use a gun. He played a bugle.

But I found the movie quite enjoyable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Just watched it. Pretty good movie. Turns out Dean Martin did a number of westerns.

Didya notice though, several times both Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum's character's guns went from SAAs to some early (Smith, Colt?) DA swing out cylinder revolvers and back to SAAs? Maybe a 1917 model, maybe a 2nd model Hand Ejector or something similar? No, not Colt DA Thunderers as it was plain as day the cylinders swung out for loading/unloading. Just a tad off date. :o

yes , i liked dean in most of his westerns , but then i just always liked dean , 

no , i guess i wasnt watching close enough , i missed the switch back and forth - not sure why the movies do that , they have to know someone will notice , there is a significant population that knows what they are looking at , i remember seeing such in the davey crocket alamo movies but i missed this one , 

i remember seeing a WWII movie - i cant recall which one - that brit troops were carrying garands instead of their enfields tho ....treated as just another rifle i guess , 

In Goldfinger, a lot of the movie was filmed in England but a lot of it was filmed here in the states. The guards at Fort Knox, in England, have Thompsons, but the guards at Fort Knox here in the states have Grands.

I read that it was because there were more Thompsons in England - dewatted but still - because of their use in World War II. But over here they weren't that available. The M1 was readily available over here, but not so much in England.

You use what you got.