SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Navy - Army Grip Question

Cholla

I have been trying to find a Uberti set of trigger guard, backstrap, and grips from an 1851 Navy. A fellow has one from 1965. Will they fit my 1860 Army made in 2020?

I was just told on another forum they will not work without major modifications, which I don't want to do.

I am not sure if a Uberti built in the 70's would even work for a swap. They made changes in grip shape over the years and some years interchange and others do not. Try to contact Uberti customer service and they may be able to provided what years will interchange with what years. Good luck. DC

I’ve been told that the Army and Navy grip frames are interchangeable.  But the vintage may be an issue, I just don’t know about that.  If you had the same vintage I’d be more positive.

Probably not.  Way too many changes to dimensions in the intervening years.  About a decade or so ago, Uberti "standardized" lots of dimensions.  Newer built 1851 and 1860 grips will interchange.  A grip set that old would be a Krap Shoot at best.  Only if you can get the old grip set for FREE.

Call Greg Slaughter at Cimarron Firearms.  He's pretty knowledgeable.  I put a pair of 1860 Uberti Army grips on two USFA revolvers about 5 years ago, having bought them from VTI Gunparts.  The revolvers were twenty years old and they fit.  I sold them earlier this year to a pard who fit them onto Uberti Open Tops.  They fit as well after a little filing.  BTW, they also fit on my Colts.

Thanks. I was hoping to trade so I don't have a $200 expense.

Archived