SASS Wire Forum

Lost Springs

Fallon Kid

A couple a of weeks I bought a Remington 512 and it needed some work.(naturally) While it was apart I launched a spring into infinity and beyond. (this is the first time that ever happened)  I’m tired of trying to replace coil springs in older guns and, if I can find, paying too much. Avg price of small springs is 2 to 10 dollars plus shipping if you can even find. This is my first endeavor into making my own springs and started at knowing nothing and thought if there are others like me (clueless) I can pass on my experience to date. I looked at a few ytube videos and most showed using a lathe or hand held electric drill with some kind of homemade mandrel.  I don’t have a lathe and the drill looks a bit clumsy for an army of one. I did find a coil maker (with mandrels) on Amazon and gave it a try. It arrived yesterday and pleased with the product. It exceeds my expectations as far as construction and quality. The body is heavy cast metal and drill chuck is not junk. The mandrels that came with this kit are for making springs with an internal diameter of .078 to .390. Also, every mandrel has a hole drilled in it for holding the selvage end of the spring for coiling. The kit I bought is the Beadsmith EZ Coiler Pro. (I am not a shill) I also bought from Wolf Springs the wire kit of every gage they produce. My total investment for wire and coil maker is about 75 bucks. One thing I observed is when using the smaller mandrels I think I will need a trunnion at the opposite end of the mandrel to keep flexing to a minimum. Even with my limited experience tearing into most SASS guns, I’m feeling good about making most coil springs you find in them. I am not going to spell out here as to how to make a spring. One ytube video on the subject should bring about the “oh yeah, that’s easy” If you would like more info, feel free to PM me or call me.

springcoiler.jpg

And a lot of my needs for replacement springs is satisfied by the coil spring assortments offered by Brownells.   While I'm sure there are a few that I can't find in those collections, I can't remember a coil spring need yet that wasn't met.

Except perhaps pump shotgun magazine tube springs.  Fortunately, a Remington 870 12 gauge spring fits a ton of 12 gauge pumps and semi-autos.

good luck, GJ

28 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And a lot of my needs for replacement springs is satisfied by the coil spring assortments offered by Brownells.   While I'm sure there are a few that I can't find in those collections, I can't remember a coil spring need yet that wasn't met.

Except perhaps pump shotgun magazine tube springs.  Fortunately, a Remington 870 12 gauge spring fits a ton of 12 gauge pumps and semi-autos.

good luck, GJ

I commonly visit my local ACE hardware store for small coil springs. 

They (at least locally) have a lot of variety in their selection (drawer setup).

I figure springs have no idea what they are operating and between the differences in buying a "specific firearm" spring and bulk; I can afford to do a LOT of trial and error cutting length and testing. 

Not sure how to copy a link but I just put “Beadsmith EZ Coiler Pro” in google search and it popped right up. I just made a spring and maybe the ‘Wolf Kit #15’ bad advice on my part. They sent several 8” lengths of the different sizes and 8” will only make approximately a 1” spring with .026 gage wire. I am going to look for longer lengths of wire and probably will only need about 4 or 5 sizes of wire for most applications. I did notice after I released tension after coiling the spring expanded a few thousands, but this first one I made will work. If making like a detent spring which fits in a cavity (hole) may have to undersize initial coiling for spring to fit in hole. I held wire with small vise grips and need to learn correct tension to apply while coiling. Learning something new sure is fun and I have all of you (SASS)  to thank. Thank You

spring2.jpg

15 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I commonly visit my local ACE hardware store for small coil springs. 

They (at least locally) have a lot of variety in their selection (drawer setup).

I figure springs have no idea what they are operating and between the differences in buying a "specific firearm" spring and bulk; I can afford to do a LOT of trial and error cutting length and testing. 

The Ace Hardware near me, even has a selection of gun screws. ;)

We've got a handful of ACE store around here and not one even keeps the Hillman drawers stocked or organized. They start out great and then stock just keeps down and down! :angry: Don't understand it. So the locals end up resorting to online to get things. 

59 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

We've got a handful of ACE store around here and not one even keeps the Hillman drawers stocked or organized. They start out great and then stock just keeps down and down! :angry: Don't understand it. So the locals end up resorting to online to get things. 

Yup, and when they fail - it will be everything else; the big box store, the internet, woke teenagers and the Democrats - in no way will they accept that closing is their own fault or even consider their personal failings that lead to it.

Small businesses are subject to laziness and feeling entitled as often as large businesses do.

Archived