SASS Wire Forum

Issues reloading 44-40

Sedalia Dave

On 12/1/2023 at 3:05 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Those pictures are very similar to when a seating die is turning the crimp into the bullet BEFORE the seater depth has been fully reached.  As in, bullet continues to be shoved in the case AFTER the crimp has come down to bullet diameter.    Thus, the mouth shaves lead from that point on. 

First, you are belling a little too much.   Because there is a gap in picture between the bullet base and, and the brass at the mouth.   You could close that up a hair and eliminate your first reported problem that the case will not by hand enter the seating die fully.

Second, it seems the crimp ring in the die is turning in the mouth BEFORE your bullet has reached desired depth of seating.   Can you back off the body of the die so that NO crimp is applied, seat a bullet to right spot, then back off the STEM and run the BODY of the die of the die down to make the crimp you want, then run the STEM back down to touch the nose of bullet with that cartridge in the die, so you get the seating stem real close to the proper seating depth again.

Are you SURE you don't have a bunch of dried lube stuck in the die below the original crimp ring?   Cleaned the die body with solvent and a brush yet? 

This is a combined seat/crimp die, right?   Difficulties like this is why loading .44-40 is normally done with a seater die, then a crimp die.

good luck, GJ

what he said!

On 12/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, Savvy Jack said:

what he said!

Yes, reduce the flare a skosh.  If you're seating & crimping @ 2 different stations, somehow, your seating die isn't seating to the correct depth, and your crimp die is doing that after it's crimped.   Or, God forbid you're crimping, then seating!  1st, disable your auto advance function, while you set your dies.  Back off the body of the seating die, set the seater stem lower an equal amount, or until the bullet is seated at the crimp groove.  Then at the crimp station, then back off your crimp die until no crimp is applied, then screw it back down until the crimp is correct and it's not trying to seat the bullet any deeper.  The way I get my dies close to final position, is I run the ram up with the die backed out so no contact is made... then I screw the die down until it touches the cartridge, lower the ram a little, turn the die in a little, raise the ram, inspect to see effect,  repeat as necessary.  It can be a tedious process, but done right, makes all following processes easier.   Secondly, keep a setd crimped round (minus powder & primer) with your dies to aid in setting dies next time around, as I understand the Square Deal doesn't use removeable toolheads.

Clean the seating die thoroughly then back it out unti you can run the belled case l the way in. Then adjust the seating stem to seat the bullet to desired  length. 

BTW what is the case length?

18 hours ago, Griff said:

... Or, God forbid you're crimping, then seating!...

Seems like a long shot, but Dave, is it possible you have the seating and crimp dies reversed?  I'm nowhere near my SDB, so I don't know if that is even possible, if they will drop down the wrong holes or not.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Seems like a long shot, but Dave, is it possible you have the seating and crimp dies reversed?  I'm nowhere near my SDB, so I don't know if that is even possible, if they will drop down the wrong holes or not.

I checked that and while they are interchangeable I have then in the correct holes.

Archived