SASS Wire Forum

PLEASE, Not for Christmas again

Widder, SASS #59054

Harsh but honest.............

A couple of years ago, I purchased a new sewing machine.  I was asked what I wanted for birthday/Christmas (they are VERY close together).  I sent links to accessories or even a gift certificate for some vendors I could use.  I received a neeto flashlight because they couldn't think of anything to give me.

The next year, I asked for a pair of slippers because mine wore out and I needed new ones.  I printed pictures from websites with descriptions, color choices and prices, all fairly reasonable.  My severe foot and back issues are well known so I was very specific on what I wanted/needed.  I received slippers from another vendor because it was thought I would like them better.  (read, they were cheaper)

The next year, I asked for a gift certificate to the local quilt shop where I purchased my sewing machine so I could purchase accessories or classes from them.  I received cash because I didn't need to buy any more fabric and they didn't know what to get me or have the time to shop.

What I don't want for birthday/Christmas this year.......................to be ignored again...............

12 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Harsh but honest.............

A couple of years ago, I purchased a new sewing machine.  I was asked what I wanted for birthday/Christmas (they are VERY close together).  I sent links to accessories or even a gift certificate for some vendors I could use.  I received a neeto flashlight because they couldn't think of anything to give me.

The next year, I asked for a pair of slippers because mine wore out and I needed new ones.  I printed pictures from websites with descriptions, color choices and prices.  My severe foot and back issues are well known so I was very specific on what I wanted.  I received slippers from another vendor because it was thought I would like them better.  (read, they were cheaper)

The next year, I asked for a gift certificate to the local quilt shop where I purchased my sewing machine so I could purchase accessories or classes from them,  I received cash because I didn't need to buy any more fabric.

What I don't want  for birthday/Christmas this year.......................to be neglected or ignored again...............

I kind of know what you mean. When I was a kid, (18-20), still living with my parents, My Mom would ask what I wanted, then go buy me clothes that I wouldn't wear. 

She did hit a Home Run with some socks that Sears sold. Terry cloth. Warm in Winter, cool in Summer. I wore those type socks for YEARS, even while in The Marines. 

Our faithful old Kawasaki Mule was in the shop with major problems that was taking forever to get parts - pandemic, you know.   Mary couldn't stand it and bought a new side by side.  I said,  "Happy Valentines Day, Mother's Day, birthday and Christmas.". She said it wasn't. 

My bride has a policy she calls "setup for success."
Her Mom use to keep silent about birthdays and Christmas, then sulked like crazy when she was ignored or forgotten.
Learning from this, my bride comes up and says, "Gosh honey, that was SO nice of you to invite me out to Black Angus for dinner tonight"
She much prefers me coming up with this all on my own, but is still happy with setting up for success, when needed.

Ditto for her sending me a link to her Amazon wish list.
Contrary to popular opinion, I really cannot read her mind, as to what would please her.
I ask the daughters to be sneaky and fish info from her about what she wants.

I asked Mary what she wanted for Christmas almost daily for a month.  We went to bed Christmas Eve and I told her I didn't have anything for her for Christmas.  She said, "What I really want is a quilting frame."  I told her she wasn't going to get that overnight.  Over the next couple months we collected and built one.  She set it up and rigged it with one quilt then did no more on it. 

Change this year from cash for the kids to grass fed beef bought from a Rancher friend.  Probably a whole beef split three ways.  Likely next few years as well unless we win back our country from the left.  Helps everyone involved in the transaction.

20 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I asked Mary what she wanted for Christmas almost daily for a month.  We went to bed Christmas Eve and I told her I didn't have anything for her for Christmas. 

I made a similar mistake once (and once only).
I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she said, "Nothing"
Nothing is what I got for her that year, and I won't make THAT mistake again.

47 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I made a similar mistake once (and once only).
I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she said, "Nothing"
Nothing is what I got for her that year, and I won't make THAT mistake again.

Yeah, ya kinda learn that one purt early. Nothing NEVER means nothing...it means everything. ;););):ph34r:

Archived