SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1860 vs 1860 Pietta Grips?

Cholla

I now have an 1860 Uberti and and 1860 Pietta. The backstrap/trigger guard/grips on the Uberti is much larger/longer than the Pietta. I find the Pietta is easier to manage with one hand. Is this Uberti/Pietta thing or are different-size grips an option? I would prefer both to be like the Pietta

8 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

How much is "much larger/longer"?  Are you sure the Pietta has Army grips?  Pietta has a lot of non-historical versions of guns.

I am not sure of anything. This is all new to me. 

IMG_0964.jpeg

Take the backstrap off & pull the grips.

With a Navy grip, the Mainspring screws to the trigger guard close to the bottom.
With an Army grip, it about a 1/4 or a 1/3rd of an inch up from the bottom.

See pictures

That makes the Army gripframe "longer"

My pinkie curls under the Navy grip, but not on the Army.
I find the Navy grip more confortable to shoot.

--Dawg

A.jpg

N.jpg

Cholla, that looks like a Navy grip on the Pietta.  You can also compare it to SAA grips.  A Navy grip is a slightly different shape than the SAA grip but is the same length.  If you want a Navy grip on the Uberti, you can easily bolt one on.  I prefer Navy also.  I have two Uberti 1860 Type II conversions that come with Army grips.  I was very easily able to swap the grip and grip frame of each (via classifieds) because there are also a lot of people out there with larger hands who have Navy and prefer Army.

there are some basic differences between the shape/length of Pietta vis Uberti grips.  They are NOT interchangeable between manufacturers without some serious work.  Pietta Army or Navy grips are interchangeable within Pietta.  Uberti Army or Navy are interchangeable within Uberti.

Your best bet is to figure out what you actually have, then offer up some tradezies in the Classifieds.  Buying 'em outright gets some expensive.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It is my understanding that Army grips have a steel back strap and Navy grips have a  brass back strap.  Both may or may-not have a brass trigger guard.

The Italian cap gun and conversion Navies are all brass unless London Navy, which is all steel (and is actually an SAA grip and grip frame, not Navy).  The Italian Armies have brass triggerguards except for the conversions which are all steel.

Your best bet is to see where the mainspring is screwed to the TG!

5 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Your best bet is to see where the mainspring is screwed to the TG!

The spring screw is roughly 1/2" up from the bottom. I assume it is an army grip.

Archived