SASS Wire Forum

Wild Drunks

Subdeacon Joe

Found on FB

‪Police in Milton, West Virginia responded to complaints this week of two raccoons that appeared to be rabid. The investigation showed the little fella pictured here and his pal were drunk on fermented crabapples. They were taken in, sobered up and released into the woods. ‬*Photo credit to Milton PD

FB_IMG_1700368275203.jpg.bc61e01cfba6801eb2187d768b700580.jpg

There's a bush. It comes from South America. The official name is Brazilian pepper, but they grow around here and they're called the Florida Holly.

brazilian-pepper-tree-fruit-gress.jpg

Long about February them berries turn red, and as they ripen on the bush they start to ferment.

Birds - especially robins - eat these fermented berries and get drunk out their little feathered butts. And they attempt to fly in the house. When they're sober they can tell that's the window but when they're drunk it looks like a hole, I guess. You'll be sitting here and all the sudden you hear something go THUNK, and you go look and there's a stunned bird lying on the ground where he flew into the window at top speed.

I have 3 Apples trees and a pear tree. It’s that time of year when the ground becomes littered with the rotting friuts. I have game camera up on the field. I have been getting pictures of deer, coon, and possum coming in at night to eat the fermented fruit. I guess everybody has to party sometime.

I also have a very big snapping turtle that daily comes out of the lake, waddles over, grabs a pear and returns to the lake..

Archived