SASS Wire Forum

Buying mail order from a California dealer

sassnetguy50

Are California dealers required to do their state paperwork if they sell a used gun out of state mailorder?  If yes, does CA know I specifically own that serial number or do they only know that store shipped the gun out of CA?

Background, the handgun was sold new in CA in 1997 to a CA resident and was recently traded/bought by a CA gun store.  That store listed it online.  Then I buy that handgun and the CA gun store ships it out of state to my local gun store.   I pick up the gun at the LGS with the only record being a 4473 filed away on site.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Good question.
Knowing what I know about the PRK... they probably get a full copy of the receiving 4473.
But then again... I'm a cynic.

That might be their goal.  The receiving shop sends nothing to anyone unless I buy multiples.  I send a copy of the FFL with the money order to the CA shop.  If the CA shop has to fill out a form, the only information they have is my phone number (from calling in the order), my name and address (from the money order), the information on the FFL of my LGS.

Out of state FFL tell me they have to jump through hoops to sign up to work with CA.
I assume this means agreeing to send full copies of FFL forms back to CA.
CA is a communist state (I live here), so I am confident their onerous rules would probably include full copies from the out of state FFL.

Yes, one LGS refuses to sell to CA residents because of the paperwork, the other says it isn't that bad and will sell to CA.  Both will accept transfers from CA because there is no additional paperwork.  The paperwork would have to be done by the selling shop in CA.  

I try to avoid CA shops on principle as a buyer.   As explained to me, transferring a gun out of CA robs CA residents of that firearm permanently because it cannot be transferred back in.  If kept in CA since new, it can be transferred to another CA resident because it is grandfathered in.  Is that still correct?

Problem with buying a gun from California is that for some strange reason, many get returned to the factory because they consistently shoot far left. 

5 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I try to avoid CA shops on principle as a buyer.   As explained to me, transferring a gun out of CA robs CA residents of that firearm permanently because it cannot be transferred back in.  If kept in CA since new, it can be transferred to another CA resident because it is grandfathered in.  Is that still correct?

I doubt that very much.
However, I am not an FFL nor do I play one on TV, so no valid knowledge either way.

I lived in CA until 12/31/2012 and in 2012 I wanted a mate for SS 357 OMV and bid on one Gunbroker.  I gave up on a SS OMV ans settled on a Lipseys blued OMV.  The seller was an out of state FFL.  Because SA revolvers that meet the minimum dimensions are exempt from the CADOJ safe handgun requirement it was shipped to a CA FFL I selected who handled the paperwork.  At the time CA didn't require the transfer dealer to collect sales tax; so, I paid the tax on my 2012 CA form CA540.

My pre-2005 Bisley Vaqueros in both 357 and 44 have matching twins.
I had to reach all the way up for the 44, and high enough for the 357.
All were out of state (non-CA) purchases for me.

I found one in a pawn shop in Junction City, KS.
One of the members here gave me an assist on this one.

The pawn owner was a real pleasure, and an honest man.
And absolutely adamant about refusing to ship to CA.
But... he hand-walked the gun up the street to another FFL willing to ship to me, and he did so at no charge.

The other came from a private GB seller in GA, who took his sweet-ass time shipping my gun.
I sent him a USPS postal order, and he sat on it for more than 2 weeks after receiving it, delivery receipt acknowledged.
I was not a happy camper, but he did finally get off his dead ass and send the gun.

On 10/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

Are California dealers required to do their state paperwork if they sell a used gun out of state mailorder?  If yes, does CA know I specifically own that serial number or do they only know that store shipped the gun out of CA?

Background, the handgun was sold new in CA in 1997 to a CA resident and was recently traded/bought by a CA gun store.  That store listed it online.  Then I buy that handgun and the CA gun store ships it out of state to my local gun store.   I pick up the gun at the LGS with the only record being a 4473 filed away on site.

I sent a gun to my sister in PA from CA.

I filled out transfer paperwork with my name, the guns info and the FFL it was going to. My sister’s FFL sent a copy of their license in PDF. The gun was shipped to the FFL via UPS. 

According to my FFL the state got information that showed I shipped a gun via my FFL to an FFL in PA. They did not get information on the person that was getting it from the FFL in PA.

I hope this helps. 

EDIT: Almost forgot. This was in 2021. 

Archived