SASS Wire Forum

Classic drag racing

sassnetguy50

One shelled gear and you’d could be a different kind of drag.  

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/37277/terrifying-early-drag-racers-really-had-the-rear-differential-in-the-drivers-crotch

I highly recommend the Big Daddy Don Garlits museum in Ocala, FL.  Plan a full day there if you want to see everythIng.

E6DCCDD7-E4A5-431C-A627-901315234919.webp

I've been to the Garlits museum several times, even met "Big Daddy" Don Garlits himself once. You're right about needing the day to experience it all. Easy to get to and right off I-75. Well worth the days time and admission fee.

If I remember right, Garlits is missing part of a foot due to an exploding transmission during a run.

56 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've been to the Garlits museum several times, even met "Big Daddy" Don Garlits himself once. You're right about needing the day to experience it all. Easy to get to and right off I-75. Well worth the days time and admission fee.

If I remember right, Garlits is missing part of a foot due to an exploding transmission during a run.

Built in early 1969 at Seffner by Garlits Chassis shop.  this was the first dragster to successfully emply a planetary two-speed transmission reaching a top speed of 240 MPH and 6.51 second ET.  Unfortunately, this success nearly cost Don his life.  In a freak transmission explosion at Long Beach, California on March 8, 1970 Don lost part of his right foot and injured a spectator.  It was this accident that led to the development of the rear engine car.

image.thumb.png.6546366c160cc57b05eec12c23c0a018.png

I’ve met Don Garlets a few times.  Once when he returned to Top Fuel at IRP in Indianapolis after a few years out of competition. He brought out an old, wide body dragster that was, to all appearances, several years out of date.

Eddie Hill had broken the 300mph barrier the year before and Joe Amato was dominating Top Fuel, having also surpassed 300 on a few occasions.

Garlits pulled into the track with a brand new truck and trailer and everyone was drooling over what he might roll out of the trailer!  You could swim in the disappointment when he rolled out the old car.  Heads were shaking and most folks figured they weren’t gonna see much out of “Large Father” that weekend.

He put the car in the water box for the first time trial and did his usual long burnout.  He backed up and his crew, “one guy”, made a couple of adjustments and then Garlits staged the car.

When he dumped the silk at the other end of the track, he’d run 298mph!

Long story short, he busted the 300 mark with ease, more than once, spanked every one of the newer cars, and won the event in a rout, defeating Amato in the final on another 300+ pass!

He came out the next season with a new car, so advanced that the sanctioning bodies went crazy trying to figure everything out! He dominated the class for another couple of years!!

Besides all of that, he’s a great guy to meet and talk to!!

Archived