SASS Wire Forum

What is this on the end of the magazine tube

Winchester 1892 Takedown.  Actually, it might be an 1894 Winchester as the loading gate looks to be long enough for a rifle caliber.  Can't tell for sure until the top of the action is seen.  1892's and 1886s have twin locking bolts, one on either side of the breech bolt rear, while a '94 has only one locking bolt at the end of the bolt.

26 minutes ago, The Blarney Kid said:

It's the lever for a take down rifle, it pulls the mag tube away from the frame and allows the barrel to be removed

This.....I have an 1894 Winchester rifle takedown in 32 Win Special that belonged to my dad. That tab on the bottom was on a hinged end on the mag tube. You pull it out to a 90 degree angle to unscrew the magazine from the action to remove the barrel from the action. Dad bought his rifle from a little gun store in town at the time circa 1950 for a whopping $16. It's now a family heirloom that was passed to me, from me to my son, and he will be passing it along to his son.

1 hour ago, The Blarney Kid said:

It's the lever for a take down rifle, it pulls the mag tube away from the frame and allows the barrel to be removed

I'm goin to say "definitely" an take-down 1894/94 Winchester as it has the squared spot on the rear of the trigger guard for the trigger block safety.  An 1892 doesn't have that.  And doesn't have the twin locking lugs of an 1892.  Fully restorable, certainly won't ruin any "collector value"!

Archived