SASS Wire Forum

Q: Does Anybody Make a Modern Day 44 Russian?

bgavin

I don't think we are allowed to own in CA, a Charter Arms or Bond Arms derringer-type in 44 mag (or anything similar), but it would be interesting to see how it fares with 44 Russian.

For a given muzzle energy, the larger 0.429 diameter 44 has a higher Hornady HITS value than the 0.357 of the 38/357.
Speculating here, but I'm thinking the larger diameter hole (higher HITS value) would lead to faster incapacitation of a Bad Actor.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

I don't think we are allowed to own in CA, a Charter Arms or Bond Arms derringer-type in 44 mag (or anything similar), but it would be interesting to see how it fares with 44 Russian.

I'm curious about that. Is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spl not legal in Cal? It's not a derringer; it's a straightforward DA revolver that's been around for decades.

According to Buds Gunshop, the Charter Arms is CA compliant and the Bond Arms is not.
My error.  I was thinking the Bulldog was a derringer type, but it is not.

I have a CA legal 44 mag snubbie, but was just kicking the tires about a derringer type in 44, but the State won't allow me to own one.

I enjoy shooting my old bulldog so much that I got a SS Charter Arms 44 with the shrouded hammer to carry here in Tx.  

What’s slowed that plan is the lack of ammo on the LGS shelves.

20 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

I enjoy shooting my old bulldog so much that I got a SS Charter Arms 44 with the shrouded hammer to carry here in Tx.  

You might look at a Charter Arms Pitbull in .45ACP. Plenty of ammo available. When I carry it, I carry a 1911 magazine for reloads. 

31 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You might look at a Charter Arms Pitbull in .45ACP. Plenty of ammo available. When I carry it, I carry a 1911 magazine for reloads. 

11 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

i’ll look that up… no moon clips?  

No moon clips. it has a retractable piece on the extracter star that catches the groove in the case.

image.thumb.jpeg.98d47f49cb7cff3439ae6edf7372a06f.jpeg

What was the white stuff he was using as a filler? I was following everything he said - well just about everything he saidB) - but his accent completely threw me on that one.

Dawg, good attempt, but that doesn’t take .44Russian

Alpo, since 24 grns of fff black powder doesn’t get compressed in a 45 colt case he uses flour for a filler.

These are my .44 Russian wheel guns (Navy Arms by Uberti)

B09797A2-8291-496C-AF12-3A65F769679D.jpeg

6 hours ago, WOLFY said:

.44 special has never been easy to find. I'm seeing none on the shelves right now, though most revolver calibers are finally back.

They were scarce even before the shortages. In my own case, I lucked into a small LGS that had a lot of .44 spl about 4 years back. I'd buy a couple boxes at a time, in accordance with my philosophy of leaving some for others. Then I'd go back and they were still there and I'd buy some more. I asked the guy if anybody else bought  them and he said "you and one other guy". I kept buying then one day somebody had bought the rest of the pile. By then, I'd had enough to last me for a long time.

I've always been mystified about the scarcity of .44 special. A lot of .44 mags out there, with plenty of users who'd be happy to shoot special. You'd think it might be like .357 mag/.38 spl, both plentiful (usually), but it's not.

"

• 2 weeks later...

Per the discussion here, heading to the range today I figured I'd shoot some .44 Russian in the Bulldog (.44 spl). I'd never done it; always hoarding my Russian ammo for my Uberti .44 Russky revolver.

Using .44 Russian in a .44 special "only" (i.e. not a .44 mag) gun has a certain appeal, especially with the Bulldog, which is a very lightweight revolver (19.5 oz).

I have a few boxes of Russian, but it ain't easy to find in the stores. I thought I'd rummage around for an old partial box of Kinematics Research/Ammodirect .44 Russian that some distant memory told me might be there. Lo and behold, there it was.  (When I started CAS I used ammodirect a lot, but they never reopened after a fatal plant explosion many years back.)

It was a real pleasure to shoot in the Charter Arms pistola. I shoot the Bulldog with the Specials to keep up on it, because I carry it in the woods. But it has a kick, and I haven't really shot it for pure pleasure. With the Russians, it's just right; could shoot the load all day if I didn't want to invade my supply....

Archived