SASS Wire Forum

Bolt removal on Steyr/Manlicher .243

:ph34r:  Anyone have experience with this?  Looking over a nice example which was stored for a long time.  Lube on bolt has dried and is sticky.  It comes off readily with StrikeHold

(thanks for the tip, Widder!)  Safety won't move.  Bore has some copper fouling. 

Can't see any release mechanism allowing removal of bolt.  Ideas?  

If it is a Model L, you simply pull the trigger. Remove the magazine, open the bolt, pull it all the way back, pull the trigger, pull it out. Simple.

If you have the resources and can remove the wood, I would soak the whole thing in Break Free or some other brand of CLP for a couple of days. I also hear Kroil is a good one for that. 

:ph34r:  

Just in from the shop, and having succeeded with bolt removal and cleaning of congealed lube in receiver.  Safety was frozen, bolt operation stiff.  

It is a model L with set triggers.  I thought I'd try pulling trigger and pulling on bolt.  Turns out both triggers must be pulled simultaneously.

Then I came in and found these great replies.  Thanks for all the help. 

If I had the opportunity to look at it sooner, I'd have finished sooner........

I just took my Mannlicher-Schoenauer (Steyr) Model 1908 to Reata Pass Auctions to see if I can a decent price for it.  Ammo for it ( 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenuer) is a hard to find custom thing that goes for $83.00 / 20 rounds.  It is a 95% sporting rifle with German claw scope mounts and a full length stock and I love the gun but it would cost less to have a mistress.

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I love the gun but it would cost less to have a mistress.

The Mannlicher won’t mind if you find a good Mauser or Sauer to bring home. 

The Mannlicher won’t mind if you go back to your pre-64 Model 70. 

The Mannlicher won’t ask for jewelry. 

The Mannlicher can’t blackmail you for more jewelry. 

The Mannlicher wont mind if you call it a man-licker. ;-)

Id say the Mannlicher is winning. 

13 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  That's why I jumped on one in .243.  I have a stash of factory variety and a mould for 85 gr. cast.  But, your Mannlicher, while expensive to feed, is likely not as demanding as the mistress would be......

But both are exciting to play with....in different ways.  :P

Archived