SASS Wire Forum

Spitfire

Subdeacon Joe

As a child, I knew some of the pilots of the Spitfire, who were still in the RCAF.

After the war, when the RCAF was starting to transition to Vampire jets etc. the Spits were declared surplus and turned over to Crown Assets for disposal.

Some sat at RCAF airports, offered for sale at $50.00 each, still in flying condition.

I think that was the most beautiful WWII aircraft. I built a few models as a kid, of course liked the Mustang and the Corsair. But just like the old guns of yesteryear the Spitfire is the prettiest in my book.

JHC

my father fought in the pacific so growing up it was the 29s he was on and the 51s he praised , but i was a commonwealth collector in past life so i did learn of these and i agree one of the best fighters of the era , 

21 minutes ago, watab kid said:

my father fought in the pacific so growing up it was the 29s he was on and the 51s he praised , but i was a commonwealth collector in past life so i did learn of these and i agree one of the best fighters of the era , 

My dad fought in the South Pacific as well. He was a grunt, but his favorite fighter was the P-38. Maybe that's what were in the area, but he was there and watched it, and said the Lightnings could really chew up the Japanese fighters. When the 38's showed up, what was left of the Japanese fighter beat a hasty retreat.

JHC

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My dad fought in the South Pacific as well. He was a grunt, but his favorite fighter was the P-38. Maybe that's what were in the area, but he was there and watched it, and said the Lightnings could really chew up the Japanese fighters. When the 38's showed up, what was left of the Japanese fighter beat a hasty retreat.

JHC

my father didnt get there till the 29s came over but yes he mentioned the 38s and a lot of the japanese planes that were attacking them at that time , hies comments were probably limited to what he experienced , i know that there was a lot of hoopla when the 51s came into theater - they had the range , but even then , when the 29s left that area of protection they were on their own , thats what he spoke of most often - what little he actually talked - fighting off the opposition and the flack when they dropped down to bombing levels over target , 

i cant imagine living in england during the blitz - i would have been very happy to have the spitfires overhead , from the photos ive seen they were the kings of the air over britton , 

My dad was a Seabee on Okinawa where they got some Tiger Cats after the war was over and he always like the looks of them but the P38 was still his favorite.

Only God and Charlie Russell can paint a Western sunset!  And my Air Force targeting team and I saw the most beautiful, spectacular aurora boreallois one night in June of '66, in the Judith Basin country! Shame, they tore down the Mint Saloon for a parking lot when I was there in Great Falls. 

Archived