SASS Wire Forum

Pitch clock MLB

Rye Miles #13621

6 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

So, it's a lot like hockey?

No .. hockey is like rugby with knives strapped to your feet and a club in your hand.

Cricket is like...

ah......you see..

um... first they....

next...

but only if....

You got it?

On 2/10/2023 at 6:41 AM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I don't care for limiting the number of pick off attempts but I do understand the thought behind the rule. 

To be clear, there is NO RESTRICTION on the number of pick-off attempts.  The pitcher is allowed one "reset" per batter.  A reset includes stepping off the rubber to get a new sign, etc., but a pick-off is NOT A RESET. 

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No .. hockey is like rugby with knives strapped to your feet and a club in your hand.

Cricket is like...

ah......you see..

um... first they....

next...

but only if....

You got it?

Yeah, it's a lot like hockey.

Red Sox-Braves Game Ends In 6-6 Tie As Batter Receives 3rd Strike Call For Pitch Clock Violation On Final Play Of Game!!!

Welcome to 2023, where baseball’s new rules designed to improve pace of play are coming fast at everyone, particularly the players.

The most dramatic moment of the new pitch clock era arrived on the first full day of spring games, and in the most dramatic scenario possible. Conley, facing reliever Robert Kwiatkowski of the Boston Red Sox, wasn’t set in the box as the clock wound under eight seconds.

The penalty is an automatic strike, which led to the game at North Port, Florida, finishing in a 6-6 tie. Kwiatkowski got the strikeout after throwing only two real strikes.

It was a more dramatic moment than when San Diego Padres slugger Manny Machado on Friday became the first player to draw a pitch clock violation when he was called for an automatic strike in the bottom of the first inning against Seattle because he wasn’t set in the box in time.

The pitch clock is one of the new rules designed to speed pace of play. Players will have 30 seconds to resume play between batters. Between pitches, pitchers have 15 seconds with nobody on and 20 seconds if there is a baserunner. The pitcher must start his delivery before the clock expires. After a pitch, the clock starts again when the pitcher has the ball back, the catcher and batter are in the circle around home plate, and play is otherwise ready to resume.

I watched the Guardians and Reds and I liked the pace of the game. Only one pitch clock call was made against a Reds pitcher which resulted in a ball. It was a good game but the Reds hit a walk off homer to end the game .:(

I watched a game yesterday and I did not like the pitch clock.  It seemed to rush the game and the pitchers and yes, I believe that is the goal of it. But Baseball is NOT basketball or Hockey with its nonstop action.  Baseball is suppose to be more leisurely with more strategy and more suspense, a game where you have some time to just sit and think while watching it, in my opinion.  The owners want to speed it up for TV and try to match the speed and excitement of the above sports.  A mistake if you ask me.

I also don't like the rules on shifting or making bases bigger (supposedly so there will be more attempts to steal; ya, right).  I'd also like to see the mitts on baserunners go away. 

I'm waiting for the pitchers to game the set up and start throwing as quickly as they can, even if the batter isn't really ready; you know, while waving the bat around in the batter's box or some other fidget-like activity and then say "Well you wanted us to go faster, didn't you?".

Looks like so far, pitches seem to be rushed by the clock.  I'm not necessarily against a pitch clock, but make it 30 seconds in all scenarios.  That should be plenty of time to shake off calls,  hold a runner, whatever.

I was a catcher all the way through highschool, and I feel like 15 seconds with the bases empty is still a rush.

The D-Backs v. Padres game yesterday ran a bit over three hours.  The Padres 9 run second inning sort of drew the game out.  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2023-02-26/padres-diamondbacks-spring-training-machado-grisham-soto-teheran-azocar-nola

Fox News said the average game is now 23 minutes shorter because of the pitch clock. (MLB stats) I'm all for it. Get to playing ball and quit with all the bullcrap antics! Some of these players take so long to get ready! I can see why they did it!

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Some of these players take so long to get ready! I can see why they did it!

What's wrong with the batter, after every pitch, stepping out of the box, adjusting his shin guards, resetting his gloves,  making sure his helmet is jusssssst right, adjusting his gloves again, rubbing more dirt onto his bat, resettling his helmet, saying the Rosary, and adjusting his gloves between pitches?  Are you saying that holds up the game?

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What's wrong with the batter, after every pitch, stepping out of the box, adjusting his shin guards, resetting his gloves,  making sure his helmet is jusssssst right, adjusting his gloves again, rubbing more dirt onto his bat, resettling his helmet, saying the Rosary, and adjusting his gloves between pitches?  Are you saying that holds up the game?

And that's all before tucking his necklace back into his shirt, tapping the plate with his bat 3 times, tapping of to the far and near side of the plate once each, re-adjusting his helmet...just before holding up his hand to signal time out.

29 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yes! 

The umpires can speed the game up by ordering the batter back into the box.  

The umpire is not required to call time every time a batter asks for it!

Just like when the umpire walks out to the mound to hurry the game along, (break up the conference with the pitcher) he is able to do the same with the batters.

I’m reasonably sure that the powers that be in MLB could advise the umpires that this should be done, but it’s likely that their sponsors would scream because those sponsors’ products would not get the TV time they get during the batters’ between pitch rituals!!

Follow the money!!

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The umpires can speed the game up by ordering the batter back into the box.  

The umpire is not required to call time every time a batter asks for it!

Just like when the umpire walks out to the mound to hurry the game along, (break up the conference with the pitcher) he is able to do the same with the batters.

I’m reasonably sure that the powers that be in MLB could advise the umpires that this should be done, but it’s likely that their sponsors would scream because those sponsors’ products would not get the TV time they get during the batters’ between pitch rituals!!

Follow the money!!

The batter has 8 seconds to get in the batter's box according to the new rules. They can only call for ONE time out so they're already doing that. Commercials between innings are only about 3 minutes.

There was a game the other day where the batter took longer than 8 seconds and was called out since it was the third strike (he had 2 strikes) It was in the 9th inning, bases loaded and the game ended in a tie. (Spring training) it was a Boston batter.

45 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The batter has 8 seconds to get in the batter's box according to the new rules. They can only call for ONE time out so they're already doing that. Commercials between innings are only about 3 minutes.

There was a game the other day where the batter took longer than 8 seconds and was called out since it was the third strike (he had 2 strikes) It was in the 9th inning, bases loaded and the game ended in a tie. (Spring training) it was a Boston batter.

MLB rules call for ONE minute for changeovers between half innings. SO! Given that there will be seventeen changeovers in a regulation game, that means that they are adding THIRTY-FOUR minutes to the game due to added commercial time!!

LIKE ISAID…. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!

(capitalization added for emphasis)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The batter has 8 seconds to get in the batter's box

The batter "must be in the batter's box and ready for the pitch by the time the clock reaches 8 seconds. If not, they're charged with an automatic strike. "  That's from when the pitch clock starts.

33 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

MLB rules call for ONE minute for changeovers between half innings. SO! Given that there will be seventeen changeovers in a regulation game, that means that they are adding THIRTY-FOUR minutes to the game due to added commercial time!!

LIKE ISAID…. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!

(capitalization added for emphasis)

How is shortening the time from 2 minutes to 1 minute adding time?

29 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How is shortening the time from 2 minutes to 1 minute adding time?

They are taking THREE MINUTES between half innings for commercials, according to what I quoted in my previous post.  It takes ONE MINUTE, by rule, to make the changeover.

By simple math, that means that they are spending an EXTRA TWO MINUTES per changeover in commercials!!

They are spending AN EXTRA TWO MINUTES BETWEEN CHANGEOVERS IN COMMERCIALS!!

THAT ADDS TWO MINUTES PER HALF INNING TO THE TIME IN WHICH THE GAME IS PLAYED!!!   THERE ARE SEVENTEEN HALF INNING CHANGEOVERS!!!

2 MINUTES  X 17 HALF INNINGS = 34 MINUTES 

By reducing the commercial time between innings to the permitted one minute given in the rules, a three hour game is shortened to TWO HOURS AND TWENTY-SIX MINUTES!!!

AND! My understanding is that the batter must be back in the box BEFORE eight seconds is REMAINING on the pitch clock!

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this…

31 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

They are taking THREE MINUTES between half innings for commercials, according to what I quoted in my previous post.  It takes ONE MINUTE, by rule, to make the changeover.

I did a little more digging.  That one minute I mentioned above was something else.  Time between the top and bottom of an inning varies with local or national broadcast, but it seems that neither is 3 minutes.  But that isn't new, it goes to 2019.

But how fast do you think teams can exchange places on the field?  Say your catcher is on 2nd when the last out was made.  He has to get to the dugout, get his gear on, and get into position. Add in some warm up pitches.  It doesn't happen at the snap of the fingers.

It doesn’t take three minutes and customarily, a coach or sub can take warmup pitches.

The old “Hey! Pick me up” call from a runner at the end of an inning gets your gear brought to you without returning to the dugout!  Sometimes by a fellow player and sometimes by a coach or sub.

8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It doesn’t take three minutes and customarily, a coach or sub can take warmup pitches.

The old “Hey! Pick me up” call from a runner at the end of an inning gets your gear brought to you without returning to the dugout!  Sometimes by a fellow player and sometimes by a coach or sub.

Sure it takes 3 minutes at least!!

We need commercials so the players can make at least 2 million a year!!!:P

I found this....................

Also in 2015, timers were installed in Major League stadiums to measure the break time between innings and pitching changes. MLB lowered the time between innings to 2 minutes for local broadcasts and nationally televised games in 2019. MLB had instituted times of 2 minutes, 5 seconds for local broadcasts and 2 minutes, 25 seconds for nationally televised games in 2016, decreasing these times by 20 seconds from where they were previously. Prior to the 2018 season, MLB established a separate time of 2 minutes, 55 seconds for tiebreaker and postseason games.

I love baseball!! I have spectated, played, coached, umpired, kept official scores, and even announced baseball games. I’ve run the concessions, run the local and regional youth baseball programs, maintained the ball fields, provided transportation, and I even sang the National Anthem once!!

I don’t know nearly enough to say that I am an expert or anything like that, but I know enough about the game to be reasonably certain that there’s no need for any clock if the game is run and played the way it should be.

I’ve pointed out a few things that have made a difference in the time it takes to play a game and what COULD be done to improve it.

I don’t have the slightest hope that anything I’ve suggested will be done, but I’m still sure that MLB and the sponsors won’t ever do anything that reduces commercial time unless everyone stops watching the televised games or boycotts those sponsors!  You can bet your sweet bippy that that will never happen!!

As long as they can keep a 9 inning game to under 3 hours , I'm good with that. A 4 hour,  3 -4 game is ridiculous. The batter/pitcher routines had gotten out of hand and I hope that this takes care of it. 

Attention Major League Players - Just play the fn game...it's not about you!

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

As long as they can keep a 9 inning game to under 3 hours , I'm good with that. A 4 hour,  3 -4 game is ridiculous. The batter/pitcher routines had gotten out of hand and I hope that this takes care of it. 

Attention Major League Players - Just play the fn game...it's not about you!

Yessir!!  You’d think that if the kids in high school can play a nine inning baseball game in two and a half hours, these professionals could at least play the game in the same amount of time!! :rolleyes: :o :lol:

Archived