SASS Wire Forum

Gunfight at Gamble Gulch, Another Good Match

Tequila Shooter

This past weekend marked the second annual Gunfight at Gamble Gulch put on by the Texas Riviera Pistoleros in George West, TX.   I was told about this match by my friend @La Sombra and I’m glad he talked me in to going with him. 

The Pistoleros annual match was a three day match, the first day was Plainsman, Wild Bunch, and Long Range.  The next day started the 10 stage main match with three posses.  The club has 10 permanent stages that were all well maintained and in great shape.  @Totes Magoats wrote all the stages and was the MD, he did a great job, no “P” traps, straight forward with gun order flexibility but it was still had enough of a challenge to make it fun.  Speaking of fun, everyone I talked to, everyone I saw were all having fun and enjoying not only the shooting but more importantly enjoying the camaraderie that makes us come back.  After the main match 5 stages on Saturday and the free lunch the Pistoleros stepped away from the usual speed side matches and opted for something different.  There was a team match and a throw back stage.  The teams were comprised of four shooters who each shot one gun.  Teams were timed with overall best time deciding the winner.  The throwback match was a nod to the early days of SASS with Cowboys/Cowgirls having to perform tasks “on the clock”.  The final day was the last five stages followed by lunch, awards and raffle drawings.  

A special thanks to all the Pistoleros especially Ginger Vitis, @Brushy Creek Bill, SASS # 49466, @El Catorce and @Totes Magoats for all the hard work they did to keep everything running smoothly. 

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating, I don’t go to matches to win awards, I go to have a good time, meet new and old friends, and sometimes I get to put a face to someone who writes hear on the Wire.  I’ve been to bigger matches and smaller matches that were not nearly as much fun or well run as the Gunfight at Gamble Gulch, everyone of the club members made folks feel welcome and glad that they came.   This is a match that if you go to you’ll add it to your “must go” list, I know it made mine. 

Following on from @Tequila Shooter. This match was a hoot. I really shot poorly but had a blast. It is a good example of the unofficial SASS motto: Come for the guns. Stay for the people.

Check out Abilene Cowboy Shooter channel on YouTube for videos to see what we are talking about.

La Sombra

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

This past weekend marked the second annual Gunfight at Gamble Gulch put on by the Texas Riviera Pistoleros in George West, TX.   I was told about this match by my friend @La Sombra and I’m glad he talked me in to going with him. 

The Pistoleros annual match was a three day match, the first day was Plainsman, Wild Bunch, and Long Range.  The next day started the 10 stage main match with three posses.  The club has 10 permanent stages that were all well maintained and in great shape.  @Totes Magoats wrote all the stages and was the MD, he did a great job, no “P” traps, straight forward with gun order flexibility but it was still had enough of a challenge to make it fun.  Speaking of fun, everyone I talked to, everyone I saw were all having fun and enjoying not only the shooting but more importantly enjoying the camaraderie that makes us come back.  After the main match 5 stages on Saturday and the free lunch the Pistoleros stepped away from the usual speed side matches and opted for something different.  There was a team match and a throw back stage.  The teams were comprised of four shooters who each shot one gun.  Teams were timed with overall best time deciding the winner.  The throwback match was a nod to the early days of SASS with Cowboys/Cowgirls having to perform tasks “on the clock”.  The final day was the last five stages followed by lunch, awards and raffle drawings.  

A special thanks to all the Pistoleros especially Ginger Vitis, @Brushy Creek Bill, SASS # 49466, @El Catorce and @Totes Magoats for all the hard work they did to keep everything running smoothly. 

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating, I don’t go to matches to win awards, I go to have a good time, meet new and old friends, and sometimes I get to put a face to someone who writes hear on the Wire.  I’ve been to bigger matches and smaller matches that were not nearly as much fun or well run as the Gunfight at Gamble Gulch, everyone of the club members made folks feel welcome and glad that they came.   This is a match that if you go to you’ll add it to your “must go” list, I know it made mine. 

Thanks for coming to visit! We are glad you had a great time! … and thank you for putting up with @La Sombra on that LONG drive!! We might need to give you a buckle for that next year! 

Yep, a fine, fun match! (We won't talk about my misses ;)). Weather is always a question mark in December, but we lucked out.  Thanks to the TRP gang for working so hard.  Tequila Shooter, it was good to meet (and shoot with) you.  I enjoyed your commentary on this one:

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you had a good time. That’s 100% our goal. 

Archived