SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use .410 for turkey hunting? Learned something interesting today.

Pat Riot

My favourite doubles are my 8 and my 10. Since turkeys are not migratory waterfowl, 8s are legal.

IMHO, hunting is fun with a capital f.

Black powder hunting is awesome.

I have loaded my .410s with holy black but that's similar to black in a 

32 versus a .45.

A solid .410 slug will get the job done  but pales in insignificance when compared to a wart hog load in an 8.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

:-)

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If there is enough metal you can have the barrel modified for screw in choke tubes. On a single barrel the process is not difficult.

I am not sure I want the hassle with this particular gun. 

West Virginia is very flexible is what can be legally used for turkey hunting. I will be using a shotgun, be it .410 or 20 or 12 gauge.

Firearms, crossbows and bows legal for hunting wild turkey:

Wild turkey may be hunted with rifles, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns, bows or crossbows with arrows or bolts equipped with a point having at least two sharp-cutting edges measuring in excess of 3/4 inch wide (see exception for Youth Spring Gobbler Season).

—————————————————————

And to be clear, I don’t take shots unless I am absolutely positive I will get a humane kill, just in case anyone is wondering. I am not some punk kid just starting out.

2 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Is there a caliber or energy requirement for air rifles?

Last I looked 17HMR was legal in TX, WY, PA (fall season).

I started a thread about hunting with air rifles.  In the OP is a link to an interactive map.  Click on the State and it opens a list of the game and any caliber requirements.

Archived