• 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans
  • 6 cups water
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup tubetti or ditalini pasta
  • Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, to taste

Instructions: 

1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. 
  2. Add beans, water, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally, and adding water if it gets too dry. 
  3. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions for al dente, or until the pasta is tender. Remove from heat and serve topped with cheese.

This recipe was adapted from "Memories Are Made of This: Dean Martin Through His Daughter’s Eyes".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At first glance this seems weird, and to my taste it's way under seasoned.  But if you look at some of the "traditional" pasta sauces it's not that far off.  Think about the ingredients in catsup.  Yes, sweeter, and fewer seasonings, but with some tweaking it's a passable base.

Pasta Sauce.jpg

As someone who grew up in a neighborhood with Italian neighbors, and with Italian relatives by marriage, I can only say it ranks near spaghetti with catsup for sauce I was served at a friend's house as a young boy.  If you want carbonara, make carbonara.  Yuck!

• Haha 1

== A FAST SNACK ==

Peenie Bubber an' Jelly has long been a standby.

Bacon is a perennial favorite.

Here's what I just made (and devoured):

Bread, slices, 2 each

Peanut butter, your choice of the brand and texture. I prefer crunchy.

Jelly, your choice. My wife prefers Concord grape exclusively (probably because of her strawberry allergy)

(this is a true anaphylaxis, it'll-kill-you reaction)

Bacon, precooked, four slices, torn in half

Prepare the sandwich as you prefer: half the slice with peanut butter, half with jelly, fold over; or one slice with peanut butter, the other slice with jelly, lay together.

Microwave precooked bacon for 30 seconds.

Add bacon to sandwich and close.

The ubiquitous PB&J is wonderfully versatile and can employ honey in lieu of jelly, or honey and cinnamon.

Powdered chocolate milk mix can be added as well, or chocolate syrup.

Sliced bananas, I understand, were a favorite addition to Elvis Presley's PB&Js.

Its many combinations and permutations are too numerous to discuss here.

I found PB&J with bacon to be very much to my taste!

3 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

== A FAST SNACK ==

Peenie Bubber an' Jelly has long been a standby.

Bacon is a perennial favorite.

Here's what I just made (and devoured):

Bread, slices, 2 each

Peanut butter, your choice of the brand and texture. I prefer crunchy.

Jelly, your choice. My wife prefers Concord grape exclusively (probably because of her strawberry allergy)

(this is a true anaphylaxis, it'll-kill-you reaction)

Bacon, precooked, four slices, torn in half

Prepare the sandwich as you prefer: half the slice with peanut butter, half with jelly, fold over; or one slice with peanut butter, the other slice with jelly, lay together.

Microwave precooked bacon for 30 seconds.

Add bacon to sandwich and close.

The ubiquitous PB&J is wonderfully versatile and can employ honey in lieu of jelly, or honey and cinnamon.

Powdered chocolate milk mix can be added as well, or chocolate syrup.

Sliced bananas, I understand, were a favorite addition to Elvis Presley's PB&Js.

Its many combinations and permutations are too numerous to discuss here.

I found PB&J with bacon to be very much to my taste!

That does sound good.   Concord Grape Jelly....I  don't think I had it until I was in my teens.  Grew up with pomegranate jelly,  apricot jam, mixed stone fruit jam, and sometimes strawberry jam that mom made.  When/if we ran out we bought a 3pound can of Empress brand Apricot Jam.

I bet apricot jam or orange marmalade would be good on your PB&J.

• Thanks 1

Want some period correct thirst quenchers?

"

Some temperance recipes, 1862. Found in, “How to mix drinks; or, The bon-vivant's companion, containing ... directions for mixing all the beverages used in the United States, together with the most popular British, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish recipes.” Written by Jerry Thomas. 

From Hathitrust
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044004991089

FB_IMG_1715090806137.thumb.jpg.b27812948918aa76821c8e1cffe8253b.jpg

At the Food Bank we were given 3 bottles of kefir. Used some of it to make biscuits this morning.

Using kefir and lard rather than buttermilk and butter produced the most tender and light biscuits I've ever made. Nice crispy top, moist and tender interior.  

• Like 1

Today's culinary experiment:

Lemon-Poppyseed Rice Pudding

(slowcooker)

¾ cup Long Grain Rice

3 ½ cups Milk (whole, low fat, plant)

1 can Solo Poppyseed Filling*

~1/3 cup Sugar.

Pinch of Salt

Butter

Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon

Butter the inside of your slow cooker.  Add Rice, Sugar, Salt, Lemon Zest, Poppyseed Filling*, mix well.  Turn slow cooker to HIGH.  About every half hour give the crock a quarter turn to prevent scorching, stir and scrape sides with a rubber spatula. 
When Pudding reaches desired consistency, somewhere between 2 and 4 hours**, add Lemon Juice and stir well.  Adjust Lemon and Sugar to your taste.  Put into serving dishes, serve hot, room temperature, or cold.  Or put in a lidded storage container, refrigerate when cool.

* Or use 1 Recipe of Poppy Filling, see below
**I turned the slow cooker to low after about an hour to further reduce chance of scorching.

Poppy Filling

(2X)

250 gr. Poppy (500)

350 gr. Milk    (700)

120 gr. Sugar (240)

25 gr. Butter    (50)

50 gr. Milk      (100)

15 gr. Corn starch (30)

Combine poppy seeds, milk (350 g) and sugar in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until the poppy seeds swell and the maximum amount of liquid has evaporated. This may take 15-20 minutes.  Stir frequently. 

Mix Milk and Cornstarch into a slurry.  Add slurry and butter to pot, cook until thickened. 

NOTE:  I ground the seeds with a coffee mill (cheated and used a cordless drill, slow speed, to make it faster…grinding by hand takes forever

Bacon Pea Salad

INGREDIENTS

1 (10 oz.) package frozen garden peas, cooked and cooled

6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped

1/4 cup mayonnaise

tap here

1/4 cup plain sour cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 tablespoon honey

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

PREPARATION

In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard until combined, then whisk in lemon juice, honey.

Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine cooked and drained peas, crumbled bacon and chopped pecans.

Pour dressing over pea mixture and toss together until everything is evenly coated.

Serve or refrigerate for later use.

Add cubed chicken breast for a hearty dinner salad.  Actually, chicken, pork, shrimp, or tuna would make good additions.  Obviously, adjust the dressing to your taste, and I think that some sliced green onions would make a nice addition. Or julienned radishes.   

• Thanks 1

Interesting:

Found on FB.  I suspect that the group owner posted the disclaimer to try to avoid liability if someone makes it wrong and gets sick.  Also interesting that this late 18th century books uses "recipe" and "ketchup" rather than the more common "receipt" and "catsup" 

A recipe for ketchup to keep 20 years, 1798. (For entertainment purposes only! Do not make this at home or at sea!) Found in, “The English art of cookery, according to the present practice: being a complete guide to all housekeepers, on a plan entirely new... With bills of fare for every month in the year.” Written by Richard Briggs.

May be an image of text

No attribution on this 

MAKE COFFEE.

The coffee should be dried in the oven with the door open one or two hours before roasting. When it is ready to roast, set it on the fire in an iron pan, and stir it constantly until it becomes a light brown. To two pounds of coffee add a bit of butter about the size of a walnut three minutes before taking it from the fire. Coffee is much better when it is roasted, ground, and made within one hour. One cup of ground coffee will make one quart of coffee. To make coffee in a biggin, put the ground coffee into the filter, wet it with cold water, and let it stand five minutes to swell. Put the filter into the pot where it belongs; fill it up with boiling water, and set where it will keep hot, but not boil. When this has run through, add water until you have made a quart of coffee. It does not require more than ten minutes to make good coffee.

To boil coffee, put into a coffee-pot one cup of ground coffee, and stir in one egg, or a piece of salt fish-skin two inches square; add one quart of water. Boil it ten minutes, take it off, turn a cupful out at the spout, and back again into the pot. Let it stand ten minutes. Turn it off into another pot to send to table. Boiled cream or milk should always be served with coffee

It has always been my belief that no two foods when combined, explode.  So, I was thinking to myself, “Self, what would you think should never go together?”  And after ruminating awhile, Self replied, “Eggs and Peanut Butter”

Darned if I didn’t google peanut butter omelet and find entries, and guys who really liked it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

How about vinegar and baking soda?

Or Mentos and Coke?

:P

LL

Are either of those true explosions?  

From eating well .com

Ingredients

• ¾ cup whole-wheat flour

• ¾ cup all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon

• ½ teaspoon salt

• ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

• 2 medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup) 

•  cup honey

•  cup cottage cheese

• ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter

• ¼ cup reduced-fat milk

• 1 large egg

• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

• 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven 350.

Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ginger together in a medium bowl until combined.

Place mashed bananas, honey, cottage cheese, peanut butter, milk, egg and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined and a thick batter forms, about 45 seconds. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in blueberries until evenly distributed. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, about 1/3 cup each.

Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Pic is a double batch.

21FA9467-1A2B-4F01-8522-8552522401F2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I had a few things I wanted to use: pesto, spinach, and some jumbo, silicone muffin/cupcake pans. I’m not fond of silicone.

thus pesto spinach muffins.

recipe from https://spoonuniversity.com/recipe/this-copycat-cava-greek-salad-recipe

I’ll add a shot after I cut one open.

IMG_0355.jpeg

IMG_0354.jpeg

A202512F-4A1E-4A9A-A158-0DCD7A4314AF.jpeg

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got about two pounds of fresh Fava Beans from the Food Bank.   I  know that I need to shell them,  and  then peel the husk from the bean.  Any easy way to do that?

My knowledge of fava beans is solely that there is an allergy -not me. It is genetic and I have read very common in Israelis. Thus in Israel, most hummus is made with chickpeas.

The term 'favism' is used to indicate a severe reaction occurring on ingestion of foodstuffs consisting of or containing the beans of the leguminous plant Vicia faba (fava bean, broad bean). Within 6–24 h of the fava bean meal, the reaction manifests itself with prostration, pallor, jaundice, and dark urine

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My knowledge of fava beans is solely that there is an allergy -not me.

I've found a few receipts for using fresh fava beans to make falafel.   Also several for Middle Eastern salads.

Little Lumps of Appley Goodness

Easy Apple Fritters

Recipe:

1 medium size apple

1 egg

1 cup flour (125 gr)*

1/3 cup sugar (65 gr)

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp baking powder

Lemon zest

A bit more sugar and cinnamon for the coating

STEPS:

- Grate and apple and squeeze a bit of the juice.

- Combine the grated apple with an egg, flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest, a little lemon juice, and cinnamon.

- Drop teaspoons of the mixture into hot oil, frying until golden brown.

- Coat them in sugar with a bit of cinnamon and enjoy!

Notes:

* you may need to adjust the flour amount based on the juiciness of the apple you use.

Use a #100 disher.  I used a #60 and didn’t flatten them enough.  Or my oil was a little too hot and some were raw in the middle.

I used the leftover sugar/cinnamon in my coffee. Later I might fry up some flour tortillas and sprinkle them with some of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smoked Pimento Cheese Burger Recipe

Tried this recipe?

Tell others what you thought of it and give it a star rating below.

3.17 from 24 votes

Combine the steakhouse steakburger and smoked cheddar pimento cheese on a buttery brioche bun and you’ve got a burger that would make any Southerner proud!

Makes:

Servings: 2 servings

Takes:

Prep Time: 10minutes minutes

Cook Time: 25minutes minutes

Ingredients

8 ounces shredded smoked cheddar cheese, about 2 cups

4 ounces softened cream cheese

1/3 cup mayonnaise (preferably Duke’s)

4 ounce jar pimentos, drained and diced

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)

1 pound ground chuck

1 teaspoon  Morton Coarse Kosher Salt 

2 buns (I prefer brioche hamburger buns)

Notes:

About the salt. Remember, kosher salt is half the concentration of table salt so if you use table salt, use half as much. 

Prep. 

For the spread, combine the shredded smoked cheddar, softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, and diced pimentos in a medium sized mixing bowl. Blend well. Refrigerated the smoked pimento cheese spread until ready to use.

For the spice mix, combine the black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Do not add the salt yet. It can compress the meat and we want the meat loose to hold the juices.

Spread the meat out on a plate and sprinkle the spice mix onto the meat distributing it evenly. Divide the meat into two 8-ounce (226.8 g) portions. Gently form the meat into patties that are approximately 1/2-inch (1.3 cm) wider than the bun to allow for shrinkage during the cooking process.

Prepare a grill for indirect cooking by placing a chimney full of pre-heated charcoal briquets on one side of the grill’s charcoal grate in order to create direct and indirect cooking zones. Adjust the grill vents to bring the temperature to about 225°F (107.2°C) on the indirect side. Add 2 to 3 chunks of your favorite smoking wood to the charcoal for flavor. On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs so that one half of the grill is off and the other half is heated enough to maintain a temperature of approximately 225°F (107.2°C) on the indirect side.

Place the burgers on the indirect side of the grill and sprinkle the tops with salt. Cover the grill, positioning the vent directly above the burgers in order to force the smoke over and around the meat. Cook the patties for about 10 minutes.

Push the tip of a rapid-read thermometer such as the Thermapen into the side of both burgers. When the temperature reaches 105°F (40.6°C), flip the burgers, sprinkle with salt, and cook for approximately 10 more minutes. Because they are not over direct heat, you do not need to flip them often.

When the burgers are about 20°F (-6.7°C) below the final doneness temp you want (see AmazingRibs.com’s award winning Food Temperature Guide) ,get ready to move them to the direct-heat zone.

If you are on a gas grill, crank it up to high. On a charcoal grill, you may want to add more pre-lit coals. If necessary, take the meat off of the grill and close the lid while the hot side heats up. If you have a pellet cooker or another grill that doesn’t have enough radiant heat to sear, put a cast iron pan or griddle in there—when the griddle collects a lot of heat, it can do the job.

Put the burgers on the direct heat side to brown them. Leave the lid up so the heat is concentrated on one side of each burger. If the fire flares up, move the burger to another spot—flare ups can deposit bad-tasting soot. Flip the meat every minute, acting like a human rotisserie, so all the energy is focused on one surface at a time. The interior will warm, but not too much. Remove the burgers when browned and the interior reaches 5°F (-15°C) below the desired temperature. Don't overcook them while waiting for the second side to be perfect. If one side is paler than the other, that’s acceptable.

Set the bottom of each bun on a plate and top each one with a burger patty. Add smoked pimento cheese to each patty and crown it with the top bun. Serve immediately.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

1 teaspoon  Morton Coarse Kosher Salt 

2 buns (I prefer brioche hamburger buns)

Notes:

About the salt. Remember, kosher salt is half the concentration of table salt so if you use table salt, use half as much. 

That sounds pretty good.  I may have to try it next time I buy ground beef.

BUT, 

BEWARE!  All kosher salts are not the same.  Morton measures more like table salt than Diamond Crystal.  That part I highlighted holds true for Diamond Krystal, not Morton.

• 1 cup of Morton’s Kosher Salt = 241 grams = 1 3/4 cup minus 1 teaspoon of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
  • 1 cup of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt = 137 grams = 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt

Table salt:

1 cup or 16 tablespoons 288 grams 10.16 oz

So the Morton is very slightly less salty per volume than table salt.  Diamond Crystal is dramatically less salty per volume than table salt.  It also dissolves much faster than Mortons or table salt.

• Thanks 1

DECONSTRUCTED SUFFED PEPPERS CASSEROLE

Copied verbatim from the wife's hand written receipt,

while enjoying the truly good smell of this very receipt being made!

INGREDIENTS:

2 lb Ground Chuck

2 chopped Bell Peppers

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cans Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup

1 package (about 8 oz) Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes

Basil

Rosemary

Pepper

Garlic seasonings

2 cups cooked rice

PROCEDURE: (The only word I could think of. I'm used to running a lab)

Brown meat, onions, peppers with seasonings.

Add diced tomatoes last.

Layer casserole with cooked rice, use slotted spoon mixture into Casserole and mix.

Spoon soup concentrate over casserole and spread out evenly.

Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.

Bake at 350 about 20-30 minutes.

1) My beautiful bride came up with this because she hates stuffing peppers with the mixture.

I think dicing the peppers was originally her revenge on them.

Never knew what the peppers did to her to make her that mad, beware an irritated woman with a knife!

2) Firecracker Mel is a fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants cook and so spices are named, but not amounts to be used. Add spices to your taste.

3) "Garlic seasonings" might mean commercially blended Rosemary Garlic seasoning in a shaker. Crushed or minced garlic can probably be used instead. Mel said the right amount of garlic to use is just shy of being able to taste it. This exhausts my knowledge on the subject!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

DECONSTRUCTED SUFFED PEPPERS CASSEROLE

PROCEDURE: (The only word I could think of. I'm used to running a lab)

That sounds pretty good!  Timely, too.   We got a lot of yellow bell peppers at the food bank.

Procedure is good.  "Method" is another.  "How To" also works.  But, "recipe" is a set of instructions or steps,  usually including the ingredients (Bill of Materials),  on how to do something.  

FORETHOUGHT, AND PREPARATION

or, I didn't do either one!

I was drafted.

My wife declared she is the cook and I am the baker, she handed me a large container of fresh blueberries and declared she wanted my World Famous in at least Two Townships, Square Pancakes!

Yes, dear.

Mixed up Bisquick pancakes using the waffle recipe, my father's favorite formulation.

Preheat oven to 350, mix blueberries into batter, dispense batter into greased cookie sheet, bake 20 minutes at 350.

Sounds easy when you say it fast.

On the one hand, baking pancakes is easier on my poor old sway back, that pale eyed old Sheriff isn't the only one to suffer that congenital malady.

On the other hand, my forethought and preparation were entirely lacking.

Y'see, and this bears directly on our meal prep abilities, I hadn't paid any attention to prep ahead of time.

Oh, I had all the ingredients, they went together well, it's baking, but ...

Last night, baking my wife's Deconstructed Stuffed Peppers, there was a minor spill.

I SHOULD HAVE REMEMBERED THE SPILL AND CLEANED THE OVEN BEFORE TURNING ON THE HEAT!

I write this in a smoky atmosphere with my father in law laughing at the memory of his dear wife, rest her soul, overfilling pies ahead of Reunion and spilling, filling the kitchen with so much smoke a man couldn't breathe!

(On the plus side, ten minutes bake time remaining, and in spite of the smoke, we're looking forward to breakfast!)

• Haha 1