• 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans
  • 6 cups water
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup tubetti or ditalini pasta
  • Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, to taste

Instructions: 

1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. 
  2. Add beans, water, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally, and adding water if it gets too dry. 
  3. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions for al dente, or until the pasta is tender. Remove from heat and serve topped with cheese.

This recipe was adapted from "Memories Are Made of This: Dean Martin Through His Daughter’s Eyes".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At first glance this seems weird, and to my taste it's way under seasoned.  But if you look at some of the "traditional" pasta sauces it's not that far off.  Think about the ingredients in catsup.  Yes, sweeter, and fewer seasonings, but with some tweaking it's a passable base.

Pasta Sauce.jpg

As someone who grew up in a neighborhood with Italian neighbors, and with Italian relatives by marriage, I can only say it ranks near spaghetti with catsup for sauce I was served at a friend's house as a young boy.  If you want carbonara, make carbonara.  Yuck!

• Haha 1

== A FAST SNACK ==

Peenie Bubber an' Jelly has long been a standby.

Bacon is a perennial favorite.

Here's what I just made (and devoured):

Bread, slices, 2 each

Peanut butter, your choice of the brand and texture. I prefer crunchy.

Jelly, your choice. My wife prefers Concord grape exclusively (probably because of her strawberry allergy)

(this is a true anaphylaxis, it'll-kill-you reaction)

Bacon, precooked, four slices, torn in half

Prepare the sandwich as you prefer: half the slice with peanut butter, half with jelly, fold over; or one slice with peanut butter, the other slice with jelly, lay together.

Microwave precooked bacon for 30 seconds.

Add bacon to sandwich and close.

The ubiquitous PB&J is wonderfully versatile and can employ honey in lieu of jelly, or honey and cinnamon.

Powdered chocolate milk mix can be added as well, or chocolate syrup.

Sliced bananas, I understand, were a favorite addition to Elvis Presley's PB&Js.

Its many combinations and permutations are too numerous to discuss here.

I found PB&J with bacon to be very much to my taste!

3 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

== A FAST SNACK ==

Peenie Bubber an' Jelly has long been a standby.

Bacon is a perennial favorite.

Here's what I just made (and devoured):

Bread, slices, 2 each

Peanut butter, your choice of the brand and texture. I prefer crunchy.

Jelly, your choice. My wife prefers Concord grape exclusively (probably because of her strawberry allergy)

(this is a true anaphylaxis, it'll-kill-you reaction)

Bacon, precooked, four slices, torn in half

Prepare the sandwich as you prefer: half the slice with peanut butter, half with jelly, fold over; or one slice with peanut butter, the other slice with jelly, lay together.

Microwave precooked bacon for 30 seconds.

Add bacon to sandwich and close.

The ubiquitous PB&J is wonderfully versatile and can employ honey in lieu of jelly, or honey and cinnamon.

Powdered chocolate milk mix can be added as well, or chocolate syrup.

Sliced bananas, I understand, were a favorite addition to Elvis Presley's PB&Js.

Its many combinations and permutations are too numerous to discuss here.

I found PB&J with bacon to be very much to my taste!

That does sound good.   Concord Grape Jelly....I  don't think I had it until I was in my teens.  Grew up with pomegranate jelly,  apricot jam, mixed stone fruit jam, and sometimes strawberry jam that mom made.  When/if we ran out we bought a 3pound can of Empress brand Apricot Jam.

I bet apricot jam or orange marmalade would be good on your PB&J.

Want some period correct thirst quenchers?

"

Some temperance recipes, 1862. Found in, “How to mix drinks; or, The bon-vivant's companion, containing ... directions for mixing all the beverages used in the United States, together with the most popular British, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish recipes.” Written by Jerry Thomas. 

From Hathitrust
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044004991089

FB_IMG_1715090806137.thumb.jpg.b27812948918aa76821c8e1cffe8253b.jpg

At the Food Bank we were given 3 bottles of kefir. Used some of it to make biscuits this morning.

Using kefir and lard rather than buttermilk and butter produced the most tender and light biscuits I've ever made. Nice crispy top, moist and tender interior.  

• Like 1

Today's culinary experiment:

Lemon-Poppyseed Rice Pudding

(slowcooker)

¾ cup Long Grain Rice

3 ½ cups Milk (whole, low fat, plant)

1 can Solo Poppyseed Filling*

~1/3 cup Sugar.

Pinch of Salt

Butter

Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon

Butter the inside of your slow cooker.  Add Rice, Sugar, Salt, Lemon Zest, Poppyseed Filling*, mix well.  Turn slow cooker to HIGH.  About every half hour give the crock a quarter turn to prevent scorching, stir and scrape sides with a rubber spatula. 
When Pudding reaches desired consistency, somewhere between 2 and 4 hours**, add Lemon Juice and stir well.  Adjust Lemon and Sugar to your taste.  Put into serving dishes, serve hot, room temperature, or cold.  Or put in a lidded storage container, refrigerate when cool.

* Or use 1 Recipe of Poppy Filling, see below
**I turned the slow cooker to low after about an hour to further reduce chance of scorching.

Poppy Filling

(2X)

250 gr. Poppy (500)

350 gr. Milk    (700)

120 gr. Sugar (240)

25 gr. Butter    (50)

50 gr. Milk      (100)

15 gr. Corn starch (30)

Combine poppy seeds, milk (350 g) and sugar in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until the poppy seeds swell and the maximum amount of liquid has evaporated. This may take 15-20 minutes.  Stir frequently. 

Mix Milk and Cornstarch into a slurry.  Add slurry and butter to pot, cook until thickened. 

NOTE:  I ground the seeds with a coffee mill (cheated and used a cordless drill, slow speed, to make it faster…grinding by hand takes forever

Bacon Pea Salad

INGREDIENTS

1 (10 oz.) package frozen garden peas, cooked and cooled

6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped

1/4 cup mayonnaise

tap here

1/4 cup plain sour cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 tablespoon honey

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

PREPARATION

In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard until combined, then whisk in lemon juice, honey.

Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine cooked and drained peas, crumbled bacon and chopped pecans.

Pour dressing over pea mixture and toss together until everything is evenly coated.

Serve or refrigerate for later use.

Add cubed chicken breast for a hearty dinner salad.  Actually, chicken, pork, shrimp, or tuna would make good additions.  Obviously, adjust the dressing to your taste, and I think that some sliced green onions would make a nice addition. Or julienned radishes.   

Interesting:

Found on FB.  I suspect that the group owner posted the disclaimer to try to avoid liability if someone makes it wrong and gets sick.  Also interesting that this late 18th century books uses "recipe" and "ketchup" rather than the more common "receipt" and "catsup" 

A recipe for ketchup to keep 20 years, 1798. (For entertainment purposes only! Do not make this at home or at sea!) Found in, “The English art of cookery, according to the present practice: being a complete guide to all housekeepers, on a plan entirely new... With bills of fare for every month in the year.” Written by Richard Briggs.

May be an image of text

No attribution on this 

MAKE COFFEE.

The coffee should be dried in the oven with the door open one or two hours before roasting. When it is ready to roast, set it on the fire in an iron pan, and stir it constantly until it becomes a light brown. To two pounds of coffee add a bit of butter about the size of a walnut three minutes before taking it from the fire. Coffee is much better when it is roasted, ground, and made within one hour. One cup of ground coffee will make one quart of coffee. To make coffee in a biggin, put the ground coffee into the filter, wet it with cold water, and let it stand five minutes to swell. Put the filter into the pot where it belongs; fill it up with boiling water, and set where it will keep hot, but not boil. When this has run through, add water until you have made a quart of coffee. It does not require more than ten minutes to make good coffee.

To boil coffee, put into a coffee-pot one cup of ground coffee, and stir in one egg, or a piece of salt fish-skin two inches square; add one quart of water. Boil it ten minutes, take it off, turn a cupful out at the spout, and back again into the pot. Let it stand ten minutes. Turn it off into another pot to send to table. Boiled cream or milk should always be served with coffee

It has always been my belief that no two foods when combined, explode.  So, I was thinking to myself, “Self, what would you think should never go together?”  And after ruminating awhile, Self replied, “Eggs and Peanut Butter”

Darned if I didn’t google peanut butter omelet and find entries, and guys who really liked it.

• Like 1

From eating well .com

Ingredients

• ¾ cup whole-wheat flour

• ¾ cup all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon

• ½ teaspoon salt

• ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

• 2 medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup) 

•  cup honey

•  cup cottage cheese

• ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter

• ¼ cup reduced-fat milk

• 1 large egg

• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

• 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven 350.

Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ginger together in a medium bowl until combined.

Place mashed bananas, honey, cottage cheese, peanut butter, milk, egg and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined and a thick batter forms, about 45 seconds. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in blueberries until evenly distributed. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, about 1/3 cup each.

Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Pic is a double batch.

21FA9467-1A2B-4F01-8522-8552522401F2.jpeg

• Thanks 1