SASS Wire Forum

Baikal MP210 ‘Smithing Question. Worth it for this game?

When I was at the LGS the other day, I see that RIA has a $599 coach gun, I open my email and see OWS just received another batch of the raggedy Spanish coach guns, and the Navy Arms, CZ offerings are showing up again.

I recently did a trade for a bone stock Baikal MP 210 with the intention of turning it into my coach gun.

All-in-all, this is a decent little upland fowl gun as it sits, and the Remington version of it, the Spartan SPR210 seems to do well on gunbroker.

Here’s the question: Given that this Baikal is stiff as a board, has a 26” barrel, no chamber work and ejectors, would I be better off in the long run (financially as well as having a better gun) having the Baikal chopped and slickered up for this game, or should I just pass the Baikal on to a grouse hunter and go the no-fuss route and grab the RIA or whatever with the proceeds? 

Slewfoot,

My main match shotgun is the Reminton marked Baikal.It has been slicked up by Ken Griner at Griner gun works, and runs like a champ.

I've put many hundreds of rounds through mine with absolutely no problems.

These shotguns really are built like a tank, and I doubt I'll ever wear it out.

My backup is a BSS, but I prefer the Baikal.

Of course, just my opinion.

Choctaw

So, the general consensus is looking like it was a fair trade and a good candidate for the game. 
My Daddy used to say “that boy could tear up an anvil in a sandpile,” so the built-like-a-tank-factor is a big +1.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Baikal, I think I’ll keep it.
I’m pretty sure I’ve been on Griner’s site before. Does Johnny have a e-commerce site, or do I just give him a holler through here once I’ve gathered up enough doubloons to get the work done?

I have a MP-220 done by Johnny Meadows.  It is a very nice gun but the extractor is the larger style that spreads out on top and bottom (not as big on top).  Even though that is all smoothed, I find it harder to load than my older Baikal that has the extractor on the bottom only so it is just a backup.  I don't know if the MP-210 ejectors are the same or not.  People can get used to them, I'd just rather not have to.

3 hours ago, Slewfoot said:

I was just as surprised when I asked who the maker was. 
And of course, once he pulled it from the rack, I noticed it was equipped with one of their standard RIA “billboards.” 

Looking at the spec sheet, it says the receiver is aluminum. I'm not sure how that would hold up to our spirited use.

11 hours ago, Seth Bradford said:

I’ve used a Johnny Meadows double trigger Baikal for years. Opens slick, stays open has never let me down. 

Same. 

Archived