SASS Wire Forum

Mr Bulletfeeder

Buckshot Bear

Anyone have a Mr Bulletfeeder on a 650 and using Hitek projectiles?

What is the bullet feeder like? Is it setup and enjoy or problematic and an irritation? 

From looking online it goes where the powder check station is? 

On my 650 I substituted a Mr. Bullet Feeder for the station that used to contain my powder check die and have not had any squibs or other problems, the Dillon powder throw is very reliable.

I use it for loading 9mm and my 357 Cowboy bullets and it speeds up loading quite a bit. For Cowboy I load a RNFP coated lead bullet in it and found it very reliable and I am very happy with it.  I found that I prefer to use the Dillon powder funnel instead of the one that Double Alphia sells, it just seams to work better.  It does not work well with lubed bullets as the parts in it will get gummed up from the lube on the bullets but loves coated bullets.  Once I set it up correctly I very rarely got a bullet upside down but if I keep my eye on the cases as they move around the press it is easy to fix any upside down or leaning bullet events. The only real problem I encountered with it was the coil spring tube that the bullet slides down is very touchy about the tension.  If the unit is mounted to close to the seating die the bullets will fill up into it and not get to the die.  If it is too far away from the die there is too much tension on the die and it will not allow it to go back down once it has set a bullet on the case and you get multiple bullets coming out of the die.  I fixed this problem with a little spring loaded device I purchased off Ebay.  This spring device forces the die to go down once it has delivered 1 bullet to the case.  The Mr. Bullet Feeder is a little pricey but I give it a thumbs up for ease of use and speed.

I did not have the luck others seem to have had with a Mr. B.  I could not get bullet feeding adjusted to reliably feed bullets in tube base first.  Constantly watching for upside down bullet and then correcting proved no advantage to hand feeding. Seems to me less belling is needed for hand feeding also.  And,  I prefer to use seating and crimping in separate stations with powder check before seater (1050).  For what ever the reason, over last couple of years I have found a powder check the most important add-on.  Suddenly I just started kicking out low powder charges far to often (one is to often :)) so the RCBS powder check has been very beneficial.  For me, Mr B became much as R-100 primer tube filler presenting to much time to correct.  Without their use seems  my frustration level is better in check, not that there is not more issues that can always pop-up to bring that level back up..   

Getting the bullets to drop with the nose up is just a matter of adjustment of the Mr B.  It took me a wile to get it just right but now I almost never have a bullet upside down.

12 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Getting the bullets to drop with the nose up is just a matter of adjustment of the Mr B.  It took me a wile to get it just right but now I almost never have a bullet upside down.

NCD, After a time my  patience seemed to play out.  In your adjusting, is feeding of multiple weights nose up highly productive (105, 125, etc)? No doubt, there are many who have satisfying success with this add-on.  

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

NCD, After a time my  patience seemed to play out.  In your adjusting, is feeding of multiple weights nose up highly productive (105, 125, etc)? No doubt, there are many who have satisfying success with this add-on.  

I only load 357 & 9mm with it and both are 125 gr.  I haven't loaded 9mm in a wile but IIRC some very minor tweaking had to be done to it when switching between them as the 367 was LRNFP and the 9mm was LSWC.

I have 2 650's both with Mr. B/F's on them and, as others have stated the adjustments are CRITICAL. getting them just right can be a pain but once set they work for me.  because they can be a pain, they are not used for short runs of any loads.  Unless I plan on running a few hundreds of the bullet of the moment,  I still place the bullets individually by hand.

Archived