SASS Wire Forum

Gun stores and C&R Sales

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Found an interesting gun, I won't say where, and wrote to the gun shop selling it to ask if they'd send it to me on my C&R License.  (The gun is C&R eligible.)  The reason I asked first is because I am from Massachusetts, and some dealers are skittish about dealing with those of us who are residing here.   I get that.  It's annoying, but I get it.

But that's not the issue here.   The following is the response I got from the dealer in question...

Unfortunately we are unable to send to a C&R because of our store policies. However, we can send it to an FFL near you and they may be willing to dispose it to a C&R. That would be between you and them though. 

This surprised me.  I've heard of, but never personally come across, a dealer who just blanket refuses to ship to a C&R FFL.  (Maybe I've just been lucky?)   In any event, this seems downright odd to me, to have a store policy that turns away business that is perfectly legal to engage in.    I know there are some dealers here on the Wire.   What do you personally think of this "store policy?"

When all is said and done, I have the attitude that it's that guy's license, so it's up to him what he does, but I truthfully don't understand the reasoning here.

I am an FFL/SOT. I do except C&R's. But the sender must supply a valid DOM (date of manufacture) along with a reputable on-line source for the info supplied.

A good example would be the pocket pistols. Many were made pre 1898. But not all and most had no serial number. Some will tell you sure but if it had this or that it was pre 1898. My problem with that is I don't want to be the guy that has to try and give an AFT inspector a history lesson. :wacko:

59 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

I am an FFL/SOT. I do except C&R's. But the sender must supply a valid DOM (date of manufacture) along with a reputable on-line source for the info supplied.

A good example would be the pocket pistols. Many were made pre 1898. But not all and most had no serial number. Some will tell you sure but if it had this or that it was pre 1898. My problem with that is I don't want to be the guy that has to try and give an AFT inspector a history lesson. :wacko:

In the specific case you mentioned, I would not object to the selling dealer asking for my C&R, even if it is an antique.   

In fact, I have bought a handful of clear antiques (via serial number) where the seller still asked for a copy of my C&R.  Didn't think it was worth arguing over, so I provided.

But I still find it bizarre how some will just not accept it at all as a matter of "policy."   They are turning away business.

Howdy HK

I found a revolver I was interested in a shop about 45 minutes north from here. That should give you a good idea of where.

They told me they do not do C&R sales.

I talked to the guy in charge, and that is what he told me.

They simply not do C&R sales.

So I did not purchase the revolver.

Unlike most businesses, firearms dealers can refuse to do business for any reason if they want to.

Happened once to me.  The guy was not sure since he could not verify on line even though I gave him a copy.  Asked him what they did before the online list? Thought about for a short time and did the sale.  He told me they had never sold to a C&R before.

Back when I was collecting milsurplus I had a C&R and I ran into the same problem. The shops/auctions that knew me from previous purchases, C&R or standard, took my C&R. Most everyone else, local or online, would not. Most all said the same thing, "We cannot verify your C&R license online like you can with an FFL." Since I no longer collect nor buy many firearms these days I let the C&R expire.

11 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy HK

I found a revolver I was interested in a shop about 45 minutes north from here. That should give you a good idea of where.

They told me they do not do C&R sales.

I talked to the guy in charge, and that is what he told me.

They simply not do C&R sales.

So I did not purchase the revolver.

Unlike most businesses, firearms dealers can refuse to do business for any reason if they want to.

If it's the place I think it it, I am surprised.   I've bought on C&R there before.   
Yeah, I get that dealers can choose not to do business.  Heck, when I worked at K-Mart in the mid-80's I refused to sell a shotgun to a guy who gave off a bad vibe.  Manager backed me up all the way.

But just blanket turning away business seems odd.

I've heard of this happening.  Some FFL's just don't want what they view as an aggravation or could lead to ATF stopping by for an unpleasant chat.  Add in some states who would love to shut down a gun store and I can't blame a FFL for declining a sale rather than risk losing their license or worse

I even had a gun that was clearly an antique have to go to a FFL for the transfer.  The auction house knew it was an antique, I knew it was an antique, but we could not PROVE it was antique under the law..

Archived