SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 244?

Michigan Slim

As I'm always on the lookout for components, I ran across a really good price on 8 pounds of Winchester 244. The reviews look good and it was compared a couple times with Unique in the burn chart. A good alternative? I've no experience with it.

I also bought 8 lbs of it just because I could. I put in in the back of the powder stash next to the IMR "Red" and Nitro 100 NF. It seems like for a while those were the only powders that I found available that leaned toward loading 38 and 12 ga light loads. I've tried the Nitro 100 NF in both 38 and 12 ga and it works just fine for the light loads, using the same volumn that I use for every other powder in those loads. I didn't change the powder drop or any bushing, and couldn't tell any difference in what I was using before in the 12 ga or the 38 special. (fact is, I can't tell any difference if I pour in Clean Shot, titegroup, Red Dot, 700x, Extralite or ANY of the faster powders) I havn't tried the "Red" or the 244. From what I have read, I also believe that the 244 is somewhat similar to Unique, so being a little slower I might need to up things just a tad when I use it. I also read a article that hinted it was a new powder that Hodgdon would like to "Run with" when they finish thinning the herd of powders that all their new acquisitions have brought them. Right now they have far too many powders that perform virtually the same under different names. Too much of that kind of duplication cost money. That is why they dropped the "Red", "Blue" and "Green" that IMR had. I expect when the dust settles, 244 has a good chance of being a survivor. It has the new "Clean" technology that the old powders don't have. If you start using it, let us know what you think of it. 

Snakebite

Looks like I'll be the guinea pig and then the resident expert on 244! Lol. I'll pick it up today. Thanks for the response. I'll start with shotgun when I can. 

1 hour ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

I have used it in 38 spl for cas.

Great for 9mm and 45 acp too.

Works ok for normal 45 Colt but the loads that burnt cleanly where too heavy for the cas loads I wanted.

Hey CJ, how much did you use (by weight) in the 38 loads, and what bullet. tnx

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Hey CJ, how much did you use (by weight) in the 38 loads, and what bullet. tnx

Same question here. The Hodgdon reload center gives starting load with 125 gr Bullet as 4.4 grains at 994 fps! That’s way too hot for cas loads. Are you downloading below that with reliable ignition?

Archived