SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 Magazine Tube Stud Screw Broken

Big Hand Zack

So long story short, I broke my magazine tube stud screw off while it was in the stud. I have an 1894 CST, so the stud is dovetailed into the barrel and the screw goes through magazine tube plug and screws into the stud. 

The easiest fix would be to buy a new screw and stud, but nowhere I can find online has them (numerich, midwest, etc.). 

I was planning on calling Marlin Monday, has anyone ever had luck getting parts straight from Marlin? (I have had good luck with Savage). 

If not, does anyone know where to get one? Know the screw dimensions so I could find one at McMaster Carr? 

Picture for reference, thanks in advance for any help. 

IMG_7457.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Drill a small hole and use a small easy out to screw it out.  Better yet, use a left hand drill and it might come out on its own.

It goes all the way through doesn't it?  Just use straight drill bit from back side. 

MidwayUSA use to carry about every part for Marlins.  Now I don't think they have a single Merlin part. But have some aftermarket accessories. 

You could try taking your broken screw to an industrial supply store like Fastenall and see if they can match treads and find something you can modify to work.  Westlake Hardware carry gun screws but would only be luck that you'll find what you need.

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Check out their website:   jackfirstinc.com

It should list their phone number and other info.

..........Widder

Ahhhh gotcha, that makes more sense. Appreciate the lead, I'll check it out. 

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What were you doing that cased it to break?

Do you know a good machinist?

OLG 

I run a suppressor on this rifle most the time, but its a shared suppressor, so I use quick detach mounts with a flash suppressor on this one. I was changing things up a bit and went to take the flash suppressor off and evidently didn't have it set in the vice like I normally do and evidently sheared it doing that. I've taken it on and off multiple times without issue but guess I wasn't paying attention well enough this time. This is why I need more suppressors so I can keep this one devoted to this rifle permanently haha

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

It goes all the way through doesn't it?  Just use straight drill bit from back side. 

You could try taking your broken screw to an industrial supply store like Fastenall and see if they can match treads and find something you can modify to work.  Westlake Hardware carry gun screws but would only be luck that you'll find what you need.

It does go all the way through, I'll give that a shot. Theres some blue loctite on it, but I can run my drill press pretty slow so maybe I'll get it out. That would leave me with just finding a screw that works. I'm sure I can find something that works. 

I'll see what Marlin tech support says Monday. 

Hopefully you realize that "Marlin" does not exist any more.  It was sold to Remington and when Remington went bankrupt Ruger purchased the Marlin name and rights to manufacture guns with that name.  This is from the "Marlin" website:

PRE-RUGER MANUFACTURED RIFLES

We do not have the parts, equipment, or expertise required to service existing, pre-Ruger, Marlin firearms and we cannot honor any warranty offered by the Remington Outdoor Company. We hope you understand the constraints that limit our ability to service firearms made prior to our acquisition.

If your Pre-Ruger-made Marlin firearm requires immediate repair or service, we recommend that you stop using it and contact a competent local gunsmith. You can also locate the independent service center closest to you listed below. These independent service centers can help you with your ongoing repair and service requirements. Please note that Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is not affiliated with these service centers and we offer their contact information as a courtesy only. As such, you will need to work directly with the particular service center to arrange for payment of any charges associated with the service or repair. We recommend that you have a clear understanding of any charges before authorizing the work.

33 minutes ago, Big Hand Zack said:

Theres some blue loctite on it

Heat it with a propane torch to melt the blue Loctite.  Problem small part and anything you use to hold it will act as a heat sink. Or, soak for a week in acetone, covered metal container as acetone melts plastic and evaporates quite fast. Try using  Loctite 222 Threadlocker Purple instead of blue.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:26 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

PRE-RUGER MANUFACTURED RIFLES

We do not have the parts, equipment, or expertise required to service existing, pre-Ruger, Marlin firearms and we cannot honor any warranty offered by the Remington Outdoor Company. We hope you understand the constraints that limit our ability to service firearms made prior to our acquisition.

If your Pre-Ruger-made Marlin firearm requires immediate repair or service, we recommend that you stop using it and contact a competent local gunsmith. You can also locate the independent service center closest to you listed below. These independent service centers can help you with your ongoing repair and service requirements. Please note that Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is not affiliated with these service centers and we offer their contact information as a courtesy only. As such, you will need to work directly with the particular service center to arrange for payment of any charges associated with the service or repair. We recommend that you have a clear understanding of any charges before authorizing the work.

Oooof... well that sucks. Guess I don't need to call them. Thank for the link, I'll check it out. 

Might just be fabbing my own fix then. 

Thanks for all the help gentlemen

If it was me this is what I would try.  Fortunately the Marlin part has a round boss that is concentric with the screw hole.  I would put the thing in a lathe chuck and then heat it up for a few seconds with a propane torch to soften the blue loctite.  Start drilling a hole through the broken screw.  Chances are with the softened loctite and drilling the screw will come out on its own.  If it does not I would put an Easy Out in the tailstock and turn the lathe chuck by hand.  Worse case drill to the outside diameter of the original screw and run a tap into the hole.

P.S.  The threads are 6-40.  You should be able to get a fillister head screw in the gun screw section at ACE Hardware.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.6ac5449ccbf47b939dcdc04c8d1d1a44.jpeg

DSC_0004.thumb.jpeg.493d6615407eab2be5a2c3991abde421.jpeg

DSC_0006.thumb.jpeg.413fac47176803cc70176bcc626cb087.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If it was me this is what I would try.  Fortunately the Marlin part has a round boss that is concentric with the screw hole.  I would put the thing in a lathe chuck and then heat it up for a few seconds with a propane torch to soften the blue loctite.  Start drilling a hole through the broken screw.  Chances are with the softened loctite and drilling the screw will come out on its own.  If it does not I would put an Easy Out in the tailstock and turn the lathe chuck by hand.  Worse case drill to the outside diameter of the original screw and run a tap into the hole.

P.S.  The threads are 6-40.  You should be able to get a fillister head screw in the gun screw section at ACE Hardware.

If only we all had lathes lol. Drill press worked for me. 

SO I did figure out the thread was 6-40, and I did drill it out to 5/64's and used an extractor. Unfortunately I got it 90% out before my extractor broke off. But the extractor bit came right out with a tap from a punch. I ended up running a 7/64" drill bit from the opposite end real delicately and drilling out most of rest of the screw. I just got a 6-40 chip clearing tap and actual tap, so hopefully that goes smooth and cleans it up. I got some 18-8 skinny cap screws in 6-40 from McMaster Carr so those should fill the void well. 

Sometimes it feels like you have a lot of tools until you go to do a project like this LOL

I'll post up when I get it fixed and hopefully this can help someone else in this situation in the future. 

Archived