SASS Wire Forum

Fitting a new hammer question...

portugeejn

I am fitting a new hammer to an older Uberti that has a broken notch on the original hammer.  The old hammer fit flush with the frame as other single action clones and Colt examples I have.  The new hammer does not fit flush with the frame.  Here are the questions--

1.  Remove some metal from the new hammer until the fit is flush (see the pictures with wear mark-the hammer is being stopped by a high spot around the firing pin hole)

OR

2.  Remove some metal from the frame.

OR

3.  Leave it alone and fit the rest of the new innards I have for it.  (It needs a new hand and bolt fitted also.)

InkedOldHammerFit_LI.jpg

InkedNewHammerFIt_LI.jpg

InkedHammer_LI.jpg

InkedFrame_LI.jpg

Adjust the hammer.  If you mess it up it is a lot cheaper to get another hammer than another frame.

Remove the high spot around the firing pin hole, otherwise it will eventually just get pounded flat and probably bind the firing pin. As it is the pin probably does not reach far enough to set off the primers anyway. Also make sure the hammer is stopped by it hitting the frame, not the firing pin hitting the hole, or you may get a high spot on the face of receiver around the firing pin hole on the inside due the pounding of the firing pin.

Archived