SASS Wire Forum

Problems for newbies

Alpo

4 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Was the question:  Why are Miata's considered chick cars?  :o

Nope.  It was something technical; had to do with resistance specs for the downstream O2 sensor (that's the exhaust "Oxygen Sensor") heater coil, and voltage output from and return to the PCM (Power Control Module - aka, the "computer").  The sensor had failed prematurely, as well as a replacement.  My son (who is a mechanic and robot technician) and I were attempting to diagnose the issue.  We were unable to do so, and had to take it to Mazda for resolution.

The problem turned out to be a faulty PCM installed earlier by that dealer as a recall repair.  The original had functioned perfectly; the dealership had stated that the replacement was mandated as an "emissions control issue." 

Their mechanics subsequently required eight hours of shop time (much of it connected with their national service center) and  proprietary software to diagnose the problem - hence our inability to do so.  They then claimed that since it was a recall issue there was no warranty.  Repair would require a new PCM, with a cost to me of about $2 grand.

I took some exception to that.  Off to court we went.  I prevailed.

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

No, it was probably “Why do guys with little appendages think Miata’s are ‘chick cars’ and why do they get so offended when a Miata blows their doors off?”

But I could be wrong. 

They are chick cars because the only Miata drivers that appear to be males are metrosexuals.  Otherwise if they like sporty 2 seaters they would be driving Z3's, Z4 or Corvetes.

Dude, to put it bluntly, that is downright insulting. 

If you want to cruise around in a Corvette (of any flavor), by all means have at it.  And if you can afford a Z4 at almost twice the price of a Miata, well good on ya.  But your perception of folk who drive Miatas or similar indicates quite a lack of understanding of those cars, and moreso the people who drive 'em.

FYI, the Miata was designed (by a Japanese American, no less!) to recapture the feel and experience of 1960's and '70's British and Italian sport cars; indeed, the lines are reminiscent of the classic Lotus Elan.  Finely crafted machines that focus on engineering and skilled driving, rather than raw horsepower and absurdly loud exhaust to make an impression.

Handling is excellent. The Miata reacts to the driver’s input like a Formula Ford race car: Lift off the throttle in the middle of fast corner, and you’ll feel the chassis rotate as the nose tucks in tighter. Step on the gas again, and she straightens out as weight is transferred to the rear and the rear tires gain grip. It’s perfectly balanced, 50/50 front/rear. Unlike most front-wheel-drive sport coupes, the rear-wheel-drive Miata does not mask poor driving technique.  Nor does it rely on bursts of power to break the rear tires free and fishtail like some Detroit "Sport" cars.  Rather, it rewards the smooth, skilled driver. A good driver will become a better driver in this car; many drivers have noted that it indeed made them better at driving their Detroit "Sport" cars.

I and many of my friends drove those British and Italian cars back in the 60's and 70's.  We could make better time from Mill Valley to Stinson Beach than the folks we knew who drove those Detroit "Sport" cars. 

Hell... my 1973 Super Beetle with Koni struts and shocks and a sticky set of Pirelli tires made better time.  And by the way, that car also doubled as my hunting and fishing rig - brought home blacktail bucks in the trunk a couple of times.

I agree that the search function doesn't work well. I tried to find one of my older posts yesterday and it took multiple tries using different keywords before it popped up.

I also agree that we have some keyboard commandos that seem to love to denigrate others.

16 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

No, it was probably “Why do guys with little appendages think Miata’s are ‘chick cars’ and why do they get so offended when a Miata blows their doors off?”

But I could be wrong. 

They are chick cars because the only Miata drivers that appear to be males are metrosexuals.  Otherwise if they like sporty 2 seaters they would be driving Z3's, Z4 or Corvetes.

They aren't chick cars. But if it makes you feel better to insult others, then knock yourself out.

19 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'm glad me as a greenhorn pilgrim newbie to the Wire hasn't come up against any Richard Craniums with my 1001 questions, everyone has been friendly and helpful.

That's because we pity you.  You can't help it that you live upside down and the blood runs to your head al day long and leaves you foggy..

18 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Was the question:  Why are Miata's considered chick cars?  :o

Sonny, I've never owned a Miata, but I sold a ton of them when I was still in that business....and I was driving "chick cars" (MGA, TR 3 &4,.Austin Healy Sprite and 100-6, Lotis Seven and Eleven, Fiat 66D Abarths, and Datsun 1600 Fairlady roadsters and others when you were still wearing three corned pants.  My wife also raced the Fiat and the first of two Datsuns and ran in men's classes  AND WON......until the club said she was too pregnant and their insurance wouldn't cover her.

At eighty years old I'll challenge you to drive against me in identical cars. You pick your car and I'll pick mine and I get to pick the track.  SCCA rules.

Chick cars my tired old Butt.  I found them to be pretty effective chick magnets.  Lots of "chicks" like the adrenaline rush of cornering with you tail six inches off the pavement and doing seventy or more in a parking lot, taking corners with your tail hanging out in a four wheel drift, all with a tiny four cylinder engine, carburators, and a four or five speed stick shift.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, Yul Lose said:

Post a picture of Kyle Rittenhouse standing with his AR slung over his shoulder on occupy dimocrats on FB and see what you get. Somehow that was a threat to them but the threats that I got in return did not violate their community standards and I got banned.

Yul do you like to troll dimocrats?

SASS Wire & Quora are the only social media sites I use regularly.  Years ago my wife set up a FB account for me and I added FB Messenger to my iPhone.  I did it because family & friends wanted to communicate with me.  There was very little that was public.  I had a Twitter account that I used to follow firearms journalist.  Twitter is an open sewer.  After the election when Twitter & FB banned DJT I deleted my Twitter, FB & Instagram accounts.   On Quora the worst you get are ad homonym comments.  If I fell there is no reason to continue the discussion I reply then block them.

Archived